May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Gardening or Gardens 2019

56 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
17.9 K Views
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

OK, so here's the deal and I need advice.
We were looking at fruit and nut trees this year...a real hard look!
However, we will be moving in the next 2 years or so to my MIL's property. We do have access to it now and could have planted this year, but there is noone there full time to keep an eye on things and water them, etc.
In the end, we decided pretty much on what we wanted to plant, and where we wanted to put them on the new property and decided to wait until we are there full time. Problem solved right? NOT!
Last night the kids came home with a bare rooted walnut tree each from school! Great, we were planning on a few walnuts anyways.
The issue is, how do we plant these at the new property now and keep them alive.
We are usually there for a visit once a week, but some sort of automatic watering system seems to be in order.
Any suggestions?

I would plant them on the MIL property and put a water pigola (sp) next to each one in ground and use that to keep them watered and cross your fingers. If you can't find or make a homemade version then, even just a compost pit with a pipe near the new tree so you can just put a mix of compost and pre-moistened peat moss and then fill that with water once a week so that the roots can find that water holding area.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My garden is in...not a lot of enthusiasm this year too many things going onResized_20190527_195631_2053.jpg

I still love the raised beds, so little work to weed. I must build more, maybe I can get two more built this year. Progress is incremental. We are going into June and there has been next to nothing for rain. This is becoming the new normal. Planted 30 small spruce.

what happened to your greenhouse?
I have my tiny garden going but not everything I wanted to plant but my lord with weather, I really do believe a greenhouse is the solution. small but year round production. I have firewood coming out my ears so not an issue for heating

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

My garden is in...not a lot of enthusiasm this year too many things going onResized_20190527_195631_2053.jpg

I still love the raised beds, so little work to weed. I must build more, maybe I can get two more built this year. Progress is incremental. We are going into June and there has been next to nothing for rain. This is becoming the new normal. Planted 30 small spruce.

what happened to your greenhouse?
I have my tiny garden going but not everything I wanted to plant but my lord with weather, I really do believe a greenhouse is the solution. small but year round production. I have firewood coming out my ears so not an issue for heating

The attached greenhouse is still being built, just that I have other demands on my time and money right now that are grinding progress to a halt, but it will be finished just is going to be longer than I thought.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

OK, so here's the deal and I need advice.
We were looking at fruit and nut trees this year...a real hard look!
However, we will be moving in the next 2 years or so to my MIL's property. We do have access to it now and could have planted this year, but there is noone there full time to keep an eye on things and water them, etc.
In the end, we decided pretty much on what we wanted to plant, and where we wanted to put them on the new property and decided to wait until we are there full time. Problem solved right? NOT!
Last night the kids came home with a bare rooted walnut tree each from school! Great, we were planning on a few walnuts anyways.
The issue is, how do we plant these at the new property now and keep them alive.
We are usually there for a visit once a week, but some sort of automatic watering system seems to be in order.
Any suggestions?

Deer will likely be your biggest challenge. As soon as I bought the property, I planted a dozen fruit trees, deer ate them in two weeks! We were not living here, but even if we were, they would have been eaten, dog or no dog!
Fencing them completely in may work / bottom to over the top Bon chance!

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Finally a inch of rain!

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

The temp has dropped to 0 C and its snowing!! Unbelievable.

That thermometer is at the highest spot on the property, I expect its cooler lower down. Its june for fuck sake

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Fuck

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Farmers in Ottawa area are getting first cut of hay these days

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I was over at a neighbours, she has a garden by my fence line, I also have one on the other side of the fence, both our gardens are only 50 feet or so apart. Both were nipped hard by frost on June 8th. Know what wasn't? My raised beds, never lost a single plant in them.

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member

We got snow too and only a few asperagus shoots froze.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

We got snow too and only a few asperagus shoots froze.

So it wasn't just here that got it.
I am going to double down on building more of them insulated and constructed from pallet racking.

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member

We got ours a while back but it wasn't funny. I'm afraid its going to happen 1-3 a growing season. In addition to frost 30-40 times. Very warm in between. It seems constant adaptation is our future. I hope im wrong

ReplyQuote
(@learner)
Reputable Member

Was at 1 degree here on June 8, very close to freezing, didn't lose anything that is planted out, thankfully. Almost felt like fall, when it is actually spring. We received just over 1/4" of rain over the weekend. We hadn't had any rain for two weeks, when we received about half an inch at that time.
Thank goodness we have a pump at the creek that is at the bottom of our property and 8 rain barrels. If the rain barrels get too low, we refill them with the water from the creek which helps alot.

Our gardens are boxes, containers and ground. Everything has now been planted out and is growing nicely. We have been eating a bit out of the gardens, such as spinach, green onions and going to start harvesting some chard in the next day or two. The lettuce is also ready to harvest from.
Haven't changed anything from what we grew last year, just trying a few different types of tomatoes that might be earlier.

So far looking at our apple and crabapple trees, we just might get fruit this year. We didn't get anything last year as they didn't flower or produce anything. This year, they have flowered and it looks like we just might get a crop off of them, which will be really good.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Was at 1 degree here on June 8, very close to freezing, didn't lose anything that is planted out, thankfully. Almost felt like fall, when it is actually spring. We received just over 1/4" of rain over the weekend. We hadn't had any rain for two weeks, when we received about half an inch at that time.
Thank goodness we have a pump at the creek that is at the bottom of our property and 8 rain barrels. If the rain barrels get too low, we refill them with the water from the creek which helps alot.

Our gardens are boxes, containers and ground. Everything has now been planted out and is growing nicely. We have been eating a bit out of the gardens, such as spinach, green onions and going to start harvesting some chard in the next day or two. The lettuce is also ready to harvest from.
Haven't changed anything from what we grew last year, just trying a few different types of tomatoes that might be earlier.

So far looking at our apple and crabapple trees, we just might get fruit this year. We didn't get anything last year as they didn't flower or produce anything. This year, they have flowered and it looks like we just might get a crop off of them, which will be really good.

Rain fall is becoming worse in spring time. I am at 2 inch total rainfall and its mid June now. I remember spring time from the nineties and often hard rains came in April, now maybe July?? But a killing frost in June was quite a surprise!

ReplyQuote
(@learner)
Reputable Member

When we moved into our present home 13 years ago in April, it had rained pretty much every day that month, with quite alot of rain. Almost seems to be within the last 10 years that it has changed to not getting that much in the way of moisture in the spring. The April showers May flowers saying doesn't work anymore around here.

We did have snow here about 15 years ago in June. We didn't have a garden then, so didn't have to worry about frosts and rainfall.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network