May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Quiet forums

14 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
(@enuff)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is it just me or do the forums seem really quiet? Almost as if prepping was a fad that has played out it's time for some people.

I haven't stopped because earthquake is a really possibility in my area.... Pacific west coast. It's not an if but a when. We still have family discussions on what will we do and my kids are in the Fraser Valley area so how will they get up to me and by what route. Food storage, garden, heat, firearms etc....is on going. I keep plugging along and learning as I go. :geek:

(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

While the forums do seem quiet, I have to admit that I do a lot of reading and pick and choose what I will answer on.

For what its worth, I find that locally, we have a good community that is steady as she goes that meet here and get together for the events-gatherings..

Prepping for evac has even gone more main stream, I took a amazing program this year for farms that was being done by a national company that does a lot of different health, safety, large animal livestock first aid an so forth.. between the floods, and the fires, I find that many folks are talking but the word prepper is not talked about..

I am seeing a huge surge in many area's that "preppers" cover, the increase in costs of food , the amount of new gardens, the seed and plant market is exploding, the food preservation end is hot right now.. I am booked on my teaching end of things, in both Ontario and Quebec..

I think that folks are quieter but I think much is going on at the same time.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

I have been really busy with stuff but it is a secret atm at what I am working on.

ReplyQuote
(@sylvie2674)
Trusted Member

I have to greet with farm girl.
I think summer/fall is such a short window that everybody is currently busy trying to get their gardens in their yard work ready, canning jams ( I made rubbarb today seeing as it is ready), rotating stock, etc.

It maybe quiet in the forums, however, I am here everyday checking forums for answers to my questions.

It is just such a short season depending on where you live.

I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Frankly, I did notice that things had gone quiet as well. Also, typical same few members contributing the bulk of the posts. The recent cleanup really help bring extra traffic, but it was quite temporal.

I keep encouraging new members to contribute. They may feel like they are mostly here to "observe" but really, their own experience and opinions are really valued!!

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

This is indeed a yearly trend that we've been seeing for a while. Indeed, typical Canadian cabin fever has everyone outdoors as much as possible. It will pick up when the severe thunderstorms and tornadoes start. Typically. the same thing happens in fall until the snow flies.

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

Quiet noted. I've been so busy outside that I don't check the forum every day because I'm ready for sleep after supper! I do read posts several time a week though.
Denob, severe thunderstorms are starting and even may occur today in your/our area.

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

I think's it's the cabin fever/outdoor surge that Denob mentioned. Personally, I am so busy and exhausted with the gardening end of things, this is the first time I've checked IPN in a bit because (shocker) it's raining 🙂 I'm going to take this opportunity to make up some more DIY fertilizer, do some indoor shooting, catch up on my medical preparedness reading and decide on a new project - maybe a solar oven?..

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@the-canadian-giant)
Trusted Member

Quiet indeed, and that is something that I take partial responsibility for. So much of lifes time is taken up with other things that contributing to the forum becomes a distant thought. Busy with building, planting, working, and when I have a question, I simply look for a easy answer rather than appealing to the forum for input.

Been intending to connect with some members in the Lacombe/Red Deer area for awhile now, but other commitments, or the desire to simply stay home takes precedence at times. But it is still good to come on here and read a largely Canadian perspective on things of importance to myself.

Wilderness Survival and Bushcraft courses in Alberta
www.MammutBushcraft.com

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

Pretty much the same here! Busy with life and try to catch up once a month or so on the forum.

ReplyQuote
(@mooswa)
Trusted Member

Yes I think all forums have slowed down. Why? I believe they have sort of run their course. Initially they were some new way to interact and everyone jumped on the bandwagon in fields of interest. Soon they were a dime a dozen. Initially people post like crazy and then eventually they slow down. Many forums get a few twits and trolls and that causes more people to give it up. Then there are the online assassinations and feeding frenzies that some seem to get caught up in.................. I know it has really caused me to sit back and wonder if they are a good use of spare time.

In the last year or two I have pretty much dropped all forums and only check out a few periodically. Here I am checking back on this forum because I received an e-mail from the administrators poking me with a sharp stick to check out the site and participate. 😉

If things are slow it is hard to keep peoples interest up.

Let no good deed go unpunished.

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member

Post about the projects your working on!. Post pictures as their worth 1000 words. Gives everyone a great feeling their not alone. We've all got projects and doing new things. Let's feed off eachother. Advance faster and GSD!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Post about the projects your working on!. Post pictures as their worth 1000 words. Gives everyone a great feeling their not alone. We've all got projects and doing new things. Let's feed off eachother. Advance faster and GSD!

Love your postscript! Being debtvfree is a liberator and yes, get out of urban areas

ReplyQuote
(@protector)
Estimable Member

Love your postscript! Being debt free is a liberator and yes, get out of urban areas

. I've lost a house and 105 acres before. The old portion of the house was a redo and the newer part had no insulation in the crawl space. Roof leaked and since we bought in winter and they were going to go under if we didn't buy. No recourse. It had a new 600ft well and grandfathered leach field and septic. The bottom two are worth 50,000 and the land was worth 30,000. We paid 52,000. We bought our land we have now and paid it off for 25,000 and refinanced to no avail. Work went to crap for two years and lack of experience did us in. tip: Always fix the roof first Then the rest of the outside. The only exception is if you have a wood stove that's dangerous and no other way to heat that winter. Get a metal roof. 50plus years of peace and great for water catchment. Next when redoing your outside go down to studs and see if their "eaten". If they are replace or double up on each side. Use bulls eye if you see mold or get rid of it if you can. All of this to say. Protect the outside! Then work on inside. No point in having land if one downturn and it's taken from you. A homestead pays for itself! The revenue pays taxes and insurance so you can never lose the land. You build it up so kids or hired help can do the same and you've earned your break and can start new cash flow and the land. "No sacrafice! No victory"

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network