May 16, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Sell me the best place to homestead in Canada!

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@protector)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Part of me wants to move to a freer place to live! This place would need to have great growing potential, Cheap acreage with house if it's not a group buy,, like minded people wanting in a Mutual Aid Group!, schools for kids. bonuses include small city nearby with good community, university/ colleges/ costco/ a few nice places to eat. So sell away! Who knows; You might have some like minded people moving your way.

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I think I could make most anywhere work, its more about what you do with what you have, where you are. If your young and starting out I can make a good argument for Alberta. Average house prices better than most areas of the country, highest average wages, I think lowest taxes, especially when you factor in no provincial sales tax. Good prices on rural properties right now with lots of upside potential. Our population growth continued right through the recession. When you see growth like this, its pretty telling as to the opertunities available. We are at 4.3 million now.
&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwelections.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F08%2F14%2Fprince-edward-island-and-alberta-canada-2015%2F&docid=0rrZl2kaPNdf4M&tbnid=wkWVme-YDTW0cM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjjr8_y0efaAhUFx58KHdVzBFsQMwhBKAIwAg..i&w=828&h=557&bih=770&biw=1536&q=graph%20of%20population%20of%20alberta&ved=0ahUKEwjjr8_y0efaAhUFx58KHdVzBFsQMwhBKAIwAg&iact=mrc&uact=8

I just found this article saying our unemployment rate is 6.3 in the province. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-recession-over-trevor-tombe-opinion-1.4643869

The thing to keep in mind is roughly 3% of the population (actually 2.8) suffers from some form of cognitive deficiency. IQs under 83 or so where at the high end they may be just able to hold down steady employment to the low end requiring care and support.
Then in my experience is roughly another 2 %. Only impairment these people suffer from are the self induced ones, and we all have worked with them....the ones who just cant be counted on to show up on a Monday, may not show up on a Friday as well. When they do show up you have to double check their work. These are not a companies prime hiring candidates but they often take them on as they have little choice, with the eye on replacing them as soon as they can.
So what I am saying is roughly 5 % unemployed really should be considered full employment, and that's why you see companies requesting to bring in foreign workers.
The first group are functionally impaired through no fault of their own, and that 2nd group not really desired by any companies. So with our unemployment rate at 6.3% we are coming up on what I would consider full employment in Alberta.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Actually in thinking about this more, 2 % may be on the low side, I would change that to at least 3% as well. Not just those unable to reliably show up for work, but those who endlessly bring drama and conflict to the work place.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I love Alberta and its people, but in time of global warming and changing climate, I'd want to get to a warmer part of the country, not the coldest...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@entropy)
Reputable Member

there is no costco near me, closest is 2 hours + but after the membership fees, the drive, how much did i really save? when i did have a member ship i never used it enough to make it worth while…
there is a store in OS that sells whole sale and it's cheaper then costco, some costcos also charge more for something, if you know your prices you can usually find things cheaper (at least in my AO)

i can grow from the end of may usually until mid oct. that's with frost protection in the early week and the last . . . if you cover or grow in a greenhouse or hot beds you can grow most of the year. (all year if you know how)

don't cheap yourself to death, if you want good land, plan to pay for it. a deal is always a deal, but quality comes at a price.

adsum. . . aut viam inveniam aut faciam

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

East, west or south of Ottawa.

Nice mix of Bush and pasture, rivers and hundreds of lake west of ottawa, deer, turkey hunting.

Two universities and a number of colleges. High tech on west side of city and that permits you to live even further west or south west of city and be further away from core, yet still provide easy commute to work.

Snowmobiling, atv trails, rideau canal and lake system, thousand islands...

Pretty diverse area for life and work and many employment opportunities in ottawa as well as surrounding towns.

Best thing for cost is to google up homes or property in your price range

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network