May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What Did You Prep This Week

1,359 Posts
130 Users
0 Reactions
195.7 K Views
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Picked up 8 pint canning jars with lids & bands at a local thrift shop.
Stopped in at the local grocery store and asked a friend who I used to work with to save me some buckets.
Garage sales popping up all over the place...keeping an eye out for manual construction tools!

ReplyQuote
(@vanislemom)
Reputable Member

Went to Lifestyles Market, for $25 I got

500g of minced TVP (texturized vegetable protein),
dehydrated veggie flakes,
dried mixed beans,
mung beans, and
canahua (similar to quinoa, but slightly higher protein, and less fat).

ReplyQuote
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member

Found Freeze Dried Banana's, Strwberries, and Apples at my local 7-Eleven, I was in shock as last I heard there was a shortage of Freeze Dried Foods in North America.

Its packaged as a Children's Lunch treat in single serving packages with a mere 2 year shelf life, but as I understand it freeze dried foods stored properly will last 20+ years. So I bought 10 packages and will go back when I have a few extra bucks and buy what ever they have left.

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member

Ordered a Volcano II camping stove today. All said and done it wasn't cheap and will pretty much wipe out any Preparation Budget I may have had for a while, but its pretty cool and with storms recently knocking out power in parts of Ontario, I think its going to prove to be a pretty safe investment.

Link to YouTube Video on Volcano II Stove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zShbxr0lys

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@vanislemom)
Reputable Member

Hi, DaScribbler:

Enjoyed that video of the Volcano II Stove. I've seen it advertised on lots of survival web sites, but didn't realize how great it is. You can use various types of fuel, it's very stable, stores easily. Cool.

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

My preps for the last week:
My neighbour dropped off 2 huge FREE boxes of canning jars!
With some help I cut up a tree for firewood - another tree was hit by lightening last week so i get to do it all over again.
Sold a hot tub that came with our home that we never used and put the money aside for a generator that is backordered till July but at least I now have the money.
Borrowed a really small generator from a friend so if the power goes out I won't have to drag pails of water out of the sump pump hole.
Bought 40 aseptic containers of almond milk on sale - our milk of choice for many reasons.
Bought a jack and stands in our quest to own all the items required to do our own oil changes so we will save money which can be used for more prepping.
Planted potatoes, pepper plants and a few more seeds.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@vanislemom)
Reputable Member

From Wal-Mart:
2 cans of Gatorade powder $5 ea. (not a great deal, but less than usual)
2 boxes (32 sachets) Beef bouillon, for soups
2kg of frozen corn $4, to dehydrate

From Zellers:
100 tealights for $5
6 pair men's underwear (for my son, to keep in Evac Bin) $10

From London Drugs:
Chewable Vitamin C, 200 tablets, $5.99

I've just started dehydrating food, using an old, not so good dehydrator. Am hoping to beable to afford an Excalibur next year. In the meantime I tried sweet potatoes yesterday. Seems okay.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

found a reference to a non-electric Dehydrator, just hanging in the wind with bug screen mesh. Will make my own to see how it goes.
at Thrift store; new hiking boots for only $5 never worn
packs for the bike never used
at garage sales; Coleman stove 2 burner white gas for only $5, and propane one for only $25
a bunch of other stuff as well, all in all saved about $500 + dollars at garage sales over buying then new

ReplyQuote
(@vanislemom)
Reputable Member

Bought a reference book today: Edible & Medicinal Plants of Canada by Lone Pine Publishing. Has good quality photos and printing.
Each plant has a least one page dedicated to it, with 4 or 5 sections: Food, Medicine, Other Uses, Description, and sometimes, a Warning.

Yesterday I stocked up on Calcium & Magnesium supplements. New Rexall opening up downtown, has several brands of vitamins on bogo.
The deal I got was Jamison bonus (200 for the price of 100) X 2 for $11.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Now that sounds like an interesting book!
How many plants does it mention?
please and thank you.

ReplyQuote
(@vanislemom)
Reputable Member

hi, WildernessReturn

It doesn't say how many plants are listed in the book, just that it has over 530 colour photos ad 125 illustrations.

The plants are first sorted into Trees, Shrubs, Vines, Herbs, Grasses, Ferns, and Poisonous. Then into Family, for instance, Trees: Pine, Cedar, Willow, Birch, Beech, Walnut, Elm, Olive, Maple, Linden, Pea, Buckthorn, Rose (apple), Heath (arbutus). Then, into specific plants, Pine: Spruces, Two-Needled Pines, Ponderosa Pine, Five-Needled Pines, Firs, Larches, Hemlocks, Douglas Fir.

The book has many disclaimers regarding toxicity. There are lots of things you can eat, just not much of it. The book states it is not a "how-to" book, that is, it doesn't have recipes. But I am quite pleased with it, none the less.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thank you, I will see if it is in the Library and then if I like it enough it will go into the survival kit, thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thank you, I will see if it is in the Library and then if I like it enough it will go into the survival kit, thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@vanislemom)
Reputable Member

I googled Lazy Preppers and found a series of videos on YouTube by Zombie Tactics called Lazy, Late and Cheap. It's good, check it out.

I also watched a few videos of other people showing off their preps. It's interesting. Glad to see some people are less than perfect in their set-up, makes me feel better about mine. lol.

Even saw a few Extreme Couponers that stockpile. wow.

Salvaged a few plastic food containers from the recycle bin at work. (I work at a small hotel-like establishment with bar and restaurant) Even one 16 litre bucket with a lid. I love the little yellow plastic cornstarch containers with blue screw-on lids. (put Goji berries, that I got from Lifestyles, in one.

I bought 2kg of liquid honey at Wal-Mart, want to make Rose Hip syrup this fall.

Oh! And I also bought a couple tins of SPAM Lite! Now I feel like a real Prepper. lol.

ReplyQuote
(@anitapreciouspearl)
Noble Member

Vanislemom said: Oh! And I also bought a couple tins of SPAM Lite! Now I feel like a real Prepper. lol.

Ha ha! Just the thought of that stuff makes me want to gag but good job - you've really joined the prepper ranks now 🙂

I've had a houseful of company this past week so no prepping for me except to rotate lots of food!

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 91