May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone believe in 2012?

53 Posts
23 Users
0 Reactions
(@melbourneprepper95)
Topic starter  

I would like to hear some different opinions on this. Do many of you believe the hype surrounding the 21st Dec? I made a video tonight if anyone is interested I would really appreciate some imput. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeBRzuGXZ0&feature=plcp Thanks.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Throughout history there have been people predicting the end of the world, the Doomsday Sayers. There was a lot of hype around the millennium which was also just a date on the calendar and of course it was not the end of the World. The ominous 2012 predictions only seem to stem from one source; the Mayan Long Count Calendar. This is one of the 8 calendars used by the Mayans and Mesoamericans. All calendars are cyclic they have a beginning and end and then start over again. The Long Count Calendar began on August 11th 3114 BCE by our calendar. It is broken up in to an number of units the largest of which is called the Baktun about 394 of our years. There are 13 Baktuns so the cyclic length of the calendar is 5,125 of our years. The end of the complete cycle occurs on December 21st 2012.

December 21st 2012 is the winter solstice. There are also other astronomical alignments that occur around this period such as the much touted galactic alignment. It should not be a surprise the calendar uses astronomical data. The Mayans and Mesoamericans were awesome astronomers.
The dire predictions stem from partial translations of one or possibly two incomplete Mayan inscriptions. Not a lot to base the end of the world on. Of course it does make for great TV. Fear sells so as the year progresses you may expect more and more hype in the media.

I watched you YouTube video. Doomsday Preppers is a sensational TV show. It tends to be extreme and goes for shock value. Take it with a big grain of salt. Prepping on the other hand makes good practical sense. It allows you to be ready for events that are much more likely to happen such as personal misfortunes like losing your employment to regional natural disasters likes floods, wildfires or earthquakes. If there were to be a true catastrophe on a country, continental or even worldwide scale then you would also be ahead of the curve if you have put time, effort and planning into your prepping.

The bottom line, December 21st 2012 is just another day on the calendar.

ReplyQuote
(@meinmachine)
Eminent Member

It is just a date. Our doomsday comes any day, anytime, so prepare accordingly.

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@melbourneprepper95)
Topic starter  

IRCC, thanks for the very detailed information. It was very helpful. meinmachine, yeah exactly, anytime, any place. Thanks again for responding guys.

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member

Doomsday sayers = the boy who cried wolf.

Claimed over and over again that there was a wolf, and finally one day there actually was. I don't truely believe dec 21 is anything more then a really unique date in our history, but would be suprised if it turned out to really be the end. But then again, maybe that actually is the day the wolf shows up. In my eyes, its good to be prepared for anything. Like meinmachine said, it could happen any day.

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

This is one of the most spaced-out, media and electronics junkied, lazy, impatient, self absorbed, greedy, soft societies of all human history. That is why people will easily join gangs and opt to loot, murder and pillage than join a community, learn a skill and do hard labor to live.

It is happening right now....

Tick tock.

ReplyQuote
(@javert)
Eminent Member

Sort answer is no, I don't believe in that date. "No man knows the day or the hour"

ReplyQuote
(@salix)
Trusted Member

No. Not a bit.

But I do believe in the US presidential elections in November and the looming expiry of many US tax breaks on January 1. An the ongoing debt default in the Eurozone. There are lots of things that make me nervous about 2012, but the Dec. 21 is not one of them.

Except that on Dec 21st I'll only have 3 days left to shop for Christmas presents.

ReplyQuote
(@darren)
Trusted Member

Short answer is no. Like others have stated it is just a date taken from a partial tablet. Do I believe we are in for "a correction" YES. Don't know when or how but given the current global mess don't think it is far off. We spend as much time as we can living the now. We prep, we read, we learn new skills and we talk to others about our concerns. You can lead a house to water but.........
So continue to prep but live today.

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

I believe in that date. I also believe in Dec. 20 and in Dec. 22. I'm pretty sure there's a Sept 15th and an April 2nd sometime during the year.

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

ReplyQuote
(@littlebrownjug)
Trusted Member

Im still working on last Friday! Geeesh my head.....may aching head. Alka Selter makes another great bartering tool.

ReplyQuote
wookie
(@wookie)
Reputable Member

I can't wait for that day to pass and all the sheeple will continue on with their lives and forget about those crazy doomsdayers and us preppers. If only the Mayans could see what they've caused. I'm sure they'd be amused.
Hollywood is just going to have to find something else to make movies and shows about.

ReplyQuote
(@muskeg)
Eminent Member

It is not that I have a concern about that date, but I do have a concern about people's reactions to the date.
I remember Y2K, nothing happened right? Wrong. There were a whole bunch of minor things that went wrong, including some nuclear reactors which crashed. However, there was a news black out on these types of stories. I suspect that the reason was that, if the minor events became known people might panic and actually cause problems. We have all seen very minor events turn into riots and worse because of people's reactions.
The fear of others is truly something to be concerned about.

ReplyQuote
(@tanya)

I think a perfect storm is brewing... economy, nucleaur Iran, terrorism, civil unrest, natural disasters, EMP, The powerfully corrupt UN, ect, ect. The mayan calendar means squat to me, but the book of Revelations is another story! I don't know what is coming or what it will look like, but I would like to be able to provide for my kids if life as we know it ends.

ReplyQuote
ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

If we see April of 2013, then I will relax. The main things that I worry about right now is not being where I should be if a major CME with a negative charged (southern polarity) should come our way. If one of a 5+ magnitude hit us, we could be looking at life without electricity or electronics for 10 years give or take. A 5-15% chance this year of that happening, depending with whom you speak to. The Government will deny all.
The lottery or bust, with my luck it will be the lottery the day before a CME. 😐

"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network