May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Is body armour practical?

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Reactions
(@jamesp)

I say. Get it if you can. But I understand you need to be a security guard at least to be able to buy it. Of course there is making your own. But that's not something to speak of.

ReplyQuote
(@quietman)
Estimable Member

I need to repost because I have found some new gear availiable that is so much lighter and better fitting than the one ton of no fun I used to have on.
It still adds some wieght to everyday living, but as was posted in this thread it can be worn for specific reasons as it was when I was in.
As with many subjects on this site there are so many angles to look at it from, but since one can get outfitted for a lot less cashola than a few years ago and with what i think is better kit, i think as with many prep items that body armour would be good to have if you can afford and justify it.
The stuff in my day added about 80 lbs to your apparel and i think to get the equivilant on the open market was about $5000.00ish, but now I found stuff at a shop in RD and another in Cowtown that wieghs about 24lbs total and can be purchased for about $1400.00 or so.
Still a chunk of change but it also fit real nice. Not bitter...

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the quiet part...

ReplyQuote
(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

I feel like I've had this discussion here before...

Ah, yes...

How many people can do 14km runs just in fatigues while carrying a rifle these days?

We did PT in full Battle Order, it was not fun. However, most regular forces units have banned the practice in recent years due to the number of catastrophic injuries incurred due to a moment's fatigue driven inattention. Even when fighting in full battle rattle, I rarely ran more than 300m at a time. Why? Honestly it was because of the requirements of manoeuvring in the battle space and the fact that we often had MRAPs/RWA to get us to the Op-Site. Even when we were running "high speed low drag" I was still rigged up with about 50lbs of kit in my GP rack (8 primary and 3 secondary mags, torch, map, compass, GPS, FMP, IFAK, MBITR, NODS, 2l H2O, 1 Frag, 1DDM, SOCP Tool, Leatherman, five zap straps, a few mars bars, folding knife, 2 TL-IV SA/MS plates, 2 ball gate carabiners) and that was my second line gear for the most part. The rest (3 mags primary, 2 mags secondary, hissatsu knife, service pistol, dump pouch, self aid pouch/EE kit, GP pouch with spare batteries, misc stuff) were on my first line. For more discreet stuff I had a separate carrier in which I kept 3 primary and 2 secondary mags, MBITR, Dart, Hissatsu folder, IFAK, 2 ball gate carabiners & the same type of TL-IV SA/MS, weight? 25lbs. Its as much about how your wears as how much of it you wear. A properly set up first and second line often feel like they weigh much less when worn.

I do not speak of these things from within a vacuum, this is all stuff I was taught or figured out for myself.

A lot of guys think that you have to go out and knock yourself out in this stuff, but the truth is you just have to be in good shape then train in and acclimate to the rack and know how to move in it. If you're Infantry or Special Forces, then you need to have more endurance in it, yes, but as preppers, you have to be more focused on learning the basics of use and getting good with them, know how to manoeuvre and get comfortable in it for longer periods of time. If one starts talking TOPP/MOPP, one has a whole new set of training, kit and problems to contend with.

I am a big proponent of a good rack and the ability to move in it. I will pick it over layering every time, its just one thing to grab and go, leaving your hands free faster for trouble.

Also, big difference between plate carrier and ballistic vest. A plate carrier holds the armour plates and often has molle for you to add gear to on top so you have it all in one easy to grab package (often with rescue straps so your friends can pull you out of harms way if you can't do it yourself) and vests are dedicated kit that only carry the armour inserts and not much else. I say if it's legal in your jurisdiction, get the plate carrier and armour.

For the full conversation... http://internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1907

-S.

"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

ReplyQuote
 Zana
(@zana)
Estimable Member

I have health issues and agree with the need to be as fit as possible. But,for me that isn't going to be great so I was thinking more of a vest (maybe leather) lined with Kevlar -long enough to hide my holster and gun. I know it's not much but might offer a bit of protection. What do you think?

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I have health issues and agree with the need to be as fit as possible. But,for me that isn't going to be great so I was thinking more of a vest (maybe leather) lined with Kevlar -long enough to hide my holster and gun. I know it's not much but might offer a bit of protection. What do you think?

Zana, when it comes to ballistic protection, I don't think there is such thing as "better then nothing." Only the real stuff works, otherwise, you may just end up with false confidence.

ReplyQuote
(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

Due to the nature of external & terminal ballistics, a leather vest with kevlar lining will not be as effective as you would hope. Even when a round is stopped from entering the body, there will still be damage done. Your best bet would be either a standard Lvl IIIa vest as most often employed by most police services or a custom set of body armour made by one of several high end providers (cost). Regardless, remember these things.

1). Only armour marked specifically as TL III or TL IV will stop rifle rounds.
2). The armour will only interact with rounds that impact it. Carriers not withstanding.
3). The armour is only effective if you wear it, so be sure that the carrier and body armour are well appointed and fitted.

-S.

-S.

ReplyQuote
JackDee
(@jackdee)
Trusted Member

I think its practical, and consider yourself lucky if you can afford one of those body armours.
Maybe carry some spare change in the left chest pocket just in-case lol 😀

Regret comes last, if it comes early its called registration!

In the end, only fellow preppers truly respects other preppers.
When nothing happens, the world will laugh at you.
When SHTF, what will happen when they found out you got supplies?

ReplyQuote
(@sparta62)

Vests are good for static posts, been there done that, in South Africa working there we used to put them over our vehicle seats. To damm hot, but do work. So I'd suggest don't travel with one, you get stopped and you are done. Road checks and such, are a sure thing to be in place in a shtf situation. Should you need to have a vest for you're retreat , the gig is up anyway, usually out gunned situation. Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@revenant)

For the most part, things have been summed up well by the other posters here. Body armour is heavy, obvious, cumbersome and restricts range of movement for everyday wear. If you know there's going to be one hell of a fight, then that's where it would come in handy. Most of the body armour you'd be able to purchase from a locally sourced shop (Canada) I would imagine it would be level 1 (knives and .22) or level II (handguns) and even then super expensive. What hasn't been mentioned yet however, which I think is very important to make a fully informed decision would be that in Alberta Body Armour is a controlled and restricted item. You need to be classified as an exempt person to possess it. The police can and have charged people with possessing in the past (usually during a search warrant on a gang house). If you want to be one of the people who isn't under intense government scrutiny, before or during a SHTF then might be best to skip the body armour and focus on thicker clothes for knife defense and keeping you warm and covered. Just my thoughts.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2012_032.pdf

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_and_services/public_security/BACAct/Pages/default.aspx

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member

Heavy... ?. I guess. I just weighed the wife plate carrier with Level III side, front and back plates it weighs around 10 Kgs. It may sound like a lot but it is easy to wear. It is certainly not cumbersome (although it can be hard on the shoulders until you are used to wearing it) and it certainly should not restrict your range of movement for everyday wear. The trick is to use it. Wear it. Train yourself to feel comfortable to use it. Just like any other thing in life you cannot decide to run a Marathon. You have to practice in order to do that.

I used body armor operationally 24 hours a day for almost 7 months and I was young and fit and it was no problem in the worst heat building sandbag bunkers etc or in the cold winter operating OP, CP's, doing daily foot or armor patrols. I only took it off for sleeping if conditions allowed for some comfort such as taking off uniform etc. Today I have a better protective (also heavier) setup. I am quite a few years older. I have attached a bit more gear than what I used operationally but it slips on like a glove due to muscle memory. Yes I definitely feels the weight when practising with it these days. I am not totally out of shape but I do not run 2 x 10KM a week anymore. But I also know that it is all about building up my muscles again and quite honest just putting your mind to doing it.

What I am trying to get across is that you should not avoid or fear body armor. If you can afford it then go for it. When you use it for the first time you will realise I am wrong and all the nay sayers were right. It is soooooo heavy.... and uncomfortable.... and my shoulder hurt now :). However if you keep practising and wearing it and your body get in shape to wear it you will realise that I am right. It is really easy to wear and you will be surprised as to what you can do wearing it.

In Ontario it is legal to own body armor.

ReplyQuote
(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

For the most part, things have been summed up well by the other posters here. Body armour is heavy, obvious, cumbersome and restricts range of movement for everyday wear. If you know there's going to be one hell of a fight, then that's where it would come in handy. Most of the body armour you'd be able to purchase from a locally sourced shop (Canada) I would imagine it would be level 1 (knives and .22) or level II (handguns) and even then super expensive. What hasn't been mentioned yet however, which I think is very important to make a fully informed decision would be that in Alberta Body Armour is a controlled and restricted item. You need to be classified as an exempt person to possess it. The police can and have charged people with possessing in the past (usually during a search warrant on a gang house). If you want to be one of the people who isn't under intense government scrutiny, before or during a SHTF then might be best to skip the body armour and focus on thicker clothes for knife defense and keeping you warm and covered. Just my thoughts.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2012_032.pdf

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_and_services/public_security/BACAct/Pages/default.aspx

Show me a R/PAL and I can set you up with armour that will stop a 30.06 Armour Piercing round at any distance and for a LOT less than many believe. It's awesome stuff. I use(d) it and it weighs about 16 lb. for both plates.

I had to live in this stuff in its various iterations since the late 80s. Body armour has come light years in that time.

-S.

-S.

ReplyQuote
(@techcowgirl)

Here's a perspective I'm not sure anyone has looked at much: If you own cattle, especially a bull, on your farm, you better have body armour and wear it when you are handling the cattle. As a first-aider who has worked both rodeos and cattle farms I've seen things happen where if the person had been wearing armour they would've survived or been injured much less. I've had my own cattle too, and have regretted not wearing any at times. It becomes crystal clear you want the armour when you have a full grown, 1700lb bull or steer charging you, but by then it's too late! Forget marauding people post collapse (though that can happen), I'm more concerned with surviving while trying to work with the cattle! (I don't wish to get gored, kicked, crushed, thrown, bumped or whatever by ornery cattle) I was looking into buying body armour, and it's definitely listed in the allowable usage rules so you're not going to get the same kind of hassle buying it as you would if you're a regular civilian.

---TechCowgirl
Owner at TechCowboys Farm 2.0
Edmonton area, AB

ReplyQuote
(@techcowgirl)

I say. Get it if you can. But I understand you need to be a security guard at least to be able to buy it. Of course there is making your own. But that's not something to speak of.

Ah, but it is something to speak of when you have medieval armouring skills, and have membership in a group where combat regularly occurs in said amour. My suit of plate was pretty mobile to move in, but egads was it hot in 40C+ weather in combat for 4 hour periods under the summer sun with a 10+lb steel helm on my head!

---TechCowgirl
Edmonton area, AB

ReplyQuote
(@techcowgirl)

Show me a R/PAL and I can set you up with armour that will stop a 30.06 Armour Piercing round at any distance and for a LOT less than many believe. It's awesome stuff. I use(d) it and it weighs about 16 lb. for both plates.

I had to live in this stuff in its various iterations since the late 80s. Body armour has come light years in that time.

-S.

I'm waiting on my R/PAL to arrive, what do you recommend for working with mean bulls in corrals?

---TechCowgirl
Edmonton area, AB

ReplyQuote
(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

-S.

I'm waiting on my R/PAL to arrive, what do you recommend for working with mean bulls in corrals?

You're going outside my lane here. But I'd say look into a surplussed flack vest.

-S.

-S.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network