May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Rant

36 Posts
17 Users
0 Reactions
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So who wants to meet for coffee in the next week or two

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

I had a thought for you before I get onto my day. Its something I have had as another possibility but may not work for my own group because we do better with couples. I may still use it someday.
Plenty Of Fish is a dating sight that me and MrsC5 met on...But they also have a "Just Friends" section. As I mentioned previously, You don't need to specifically coffee with preppers. Try just increasing your social connections with people that have different skill sets. Its more about social networking and increasing your skill knowledge from others experience. Its people that recognise you as safe in a crisis if you run into them on the street. Maybe someday you need an electrician...and you just happen to know a guy that you met for coffee...
If You write a creative note explaining your personal development goal of meeting a new coffee hookup a week, some curious people might think its a really good idea especially if you explain your reasoning without prepper bombing them.
One of the reasons I think this will work is that A-people are there specifically to meet other people and B- people are there at a transition period of there lives. If they are there for dating, It might be because they lost friends in a previous breakup or just didn't have any because there lives were based around a previous spouse or they moved to a new place.
Just an idea for you.
Word of advice though. If you have a partner, explain to her exactly what you are doing so she doesn't stumble across the page and think you are trying to cheat on her.

Don't be too serious. Present your note in a fun and different way so it stands out from the rest.
Ill give you an example of fun and different. This was an ad I did for my first attempt at a group. I wouldn't go this direction again but its to give an idea about standing out

"Y2K Let you down? Peak Oil taking too damn long?
Don't want to wait for 2012?
Well here is an apocalypse scenario that I absolutely guarantee will happen.

Zombies

You heard me right. Zombies. The flesh eating living dead.
It's a powder keg of doom just waiting to explode.

Have you recently watched the movie 'Zombieland' and thought to yourself, 'geez. I hate it when that happens to me... every single time. How can I be better prepared for the next time the dead rise from the grave and run amok?'

Do you want to practice those most manly of skill sets like, bow and drill fire starting, eating bunnies, souping up your zombie apocalypse vehicle and drinking beer?

Or for all you ladies that are in touch with your inner Buffy the Vampire Slayer that want to improve your Sara Connor skill set. If I may quote 28 Days Later, 'without women, there is no future.'

So, some of you are thinking, 'why would any sane person waste their time with this?' Look at it this way. If you are prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse, you are prepared for any disaster. After the big earthquake, the global pandemic, or socio-economic meltdown you can say to yourself, 'hey that was way to easy. There weren't any zombies.'

So what will this group do? Get together, share and practice our skill sets? Convoy out of town for some camping, post apocalyptic bush parties? Practice sword fighting? Do motorcycle rides to scout out survivor locations? Organize squirtgun wars against the next zombie march? Get together to have cocktails and watch disaster flicks, or get all dressed up to go out to the latest zombie movie? Maybe a zombie versus survivor, road warrior, fetish theme party? Or flash mob survival bicycle rides?

I cn't say for sure. It will depend on who shows up and what we decide to do. Here is your chance to get in at the beginning. Your skills, ideas and contribution just might save the human race.

A man alone is zombie food. Organize now before they rise. The species is counting on you.

ZAPCOM (Zombie Apocalypse Community)"

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

Here's a eye opener for some one TV to watch the guy in Washington state
http://youtu.be/VQ0OEYbuKJg

I know I am a bit late to this party but I just have to add my 2 cents.

I have been meeting "prepping" people for a few years now. At one of the meetings that I went to, 2 of the people said they were going to do what that guy plans to do in the video. I spent part of the meeting trying to convince them that it was the wrong thing to do. I was wasting my breath. I have made a point of not attending any meeting that I know they will be at. I haven't given up yet.

Just keep plugging away. It is better (in my opinion) to take it slowly so you don't end up getting screwed.

ReplyQuote
(@tradesman)
Trusted Member

I know I am a bit late to this party but I just have to add my 2 cents.

I have been meeting "prepping" people for a few years now. At one of the meetings that I went to, 2 of the people said they were going to do what that guy plans to do in the video. I spent part of the meeting trying to convince them that it was the wrong thing to do. I was wasting my breath. I have made a point of not attending any meeting that I know they will be at. I haven't given up yet.

Just keep plugging away. It is better (in my opinion) to take it slowly so you don't end up getting screwed.

I don't get this mentality, I really don't.

ReplyQuote
 gPRS
(@gprs)
Estimable Member

Well, I'm just glad I have met Duff and he's a stand-up guy - he has to be with all them kids.
All kidding aside, I'm glad we've had a multiple times to hang out and chat.
I was sorry I needed to move ... to lower mainland of BC - but I hope to stay in touch if not continue meeting up with him and others.

Note: my friends here don't really need to move. They're all set on near all aspects.
Since I'm living here temporarily, it helps them in more ways than one.
Plus, I've been looking to buy property as an investment. It will be multi-purpose - believe me.

=============================================
Is what you say worth at least a Canadian nickel now?
Cause two cents ain't worth squat anymore !
----
Self-sufficient is good. Co-efficient is better.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

You have been an amazing friend that I've meet through this network G but don't forget you get to meet the newest member in sept lol

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
 gPRS
(@gprs)
Estimable Member

Well, I hope I will be around shortly thereafter to meet the new addition.

I figure I have two more loads left for the moving - at most.

Is what you say worth at least a Canadian nickel now?
Cause two cents ain't worth squat anymore !
----
Self-sufficient is good. Co-efficient is better.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'll text you when she comes and a picture

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

Duffmanprepper wrote:

Wondering why the "Prepper" was fast asleep in his home with out back up? The bad guy made his way up his drive way, into the house, up the stairs and into his bedroom...with out meeting the nasty end of a gun?!

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

I don't know if people are allowed to advertise these or not but Briden solutions has done what Cerruno...(sp) suggested. Created a website like Plenty of Fish but for preppers...

http://www.bridensolutions.ca/insiders/

Also, there is still a Meetup Group out of Calgary you can find;

http://www.meetup.com/findtheexits/

I am not sure if you already had these or not...

ReplyQuote
(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

Good point Zana but a group of 20-30 is hard for one family to fight off
What would you suggest about those situations

Right. PM me.

-S.

"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

ReplyQuote
(@sylvie2674)
Trusted Member

Are there still meetings going on?
I would drive to Beaumont or maybe Sherwood park. But I am very afraid to drive I the city, so I could not are it to cabela's.
Let me know please...
The way I see it is the more information can be passed on both ways, the easier life might be after S.H.T.F.

I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Pm me or email through my website well figure out a day to meet

ReplyQuote
 Zana
(@zana)
Estimable Member

I also am concerned about large groups attacking at once. I'm not sure if they would band together in large groups after a while. If they hit a place they have to divide the "spoils". At most homes there isn't going to be a lot when divided by 25-30. Plus they probably have problems organizing group events too.
My hope is that if I make some of the approaches to my house hard to go through (decent fences,razor wire and such) there will be limited places so that it will be better for defence. I also want to set up something-speakers or walkie talkies so that they will think there are more people and maybe close to them. I'm hoping that even though my place isn't inpenitrable it will at least be more bother than other places. Then if all else fails try to establish who the leader is and shoot them.

ReplyQuote
albertaborn
(@albertaborn)
Trusted Member

I find it interesting that the main core of posters are the same, I think many of you are solid, with just enough crazy to make it worth some conversations. I have been busy building the things I had planned before and adjusting my lifestyle to cover my needs and advance my chances of continuing to exist. I relocated to give myself elbow room, but my base still appears to be in a land of many neighbours, as I planned before, I now have a couple locations that I own! These give me room to expand, secure and retreat to known, secured and prepared locations. As you guys have pointed out most people seem to want it all handed to them and then want to tell you how you should be doing it, and want to know how much more they are going to get out of it. Part of the reason I stepped away from this site and a good many people on it was because they are oval track racers, going round and round in the same direction as fast as they can and hoping they make it to the finish. I don't have time for that and I have zero time for the ego games, preparing to survive and exist has nothing to do with self indulgent egos. It is sad but it always seems that it is a one upmanship contest. Reality is it doesn't matter if you only have $20 a month to spend on improving your survival (prepping) as long as you use that $20 bucks to get you one step closer to ready. One of the people I occasionally mentor asked me how to start, this is what I told her. When you go grocery shopping look at you purchases and see what you buy, then buy 1 extra of as many of your regular items as you can afford. The reason I say it this way is if you normally don't buy or eat canned beets why would you want to have canned beets in your survival stores, if things get bad being able to eat your normal choices, will make the hardships easier to endure. Being prepared starts with small steps for most people and listening and asking questions is important. There are way to many willing to tell you what to do and what is wrong from their point of view, just take the information and try to apply it to yourself, your family and your lifestyle. None of us are living each other's lives, many can barely live their own.

Things I say are my opinion, which is like belly buttons everybody has one.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network