May 05, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

AA and or CR123A

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Question. Who has experience with rechargeable CR123 batteries?

I am looking to get some single units but can’t find any made by big boys. I hear they are fickle and not as Good quality as the AA types.

I now use AA and CR flashlights. Have some old C and D ones and rechargeables for them.

I have a few rechargeable CR batteries from thrunite and both their flashlights and rechargeables are working great( highly recommend them), but they only sell the double batt unit and I am looking for singles.

Thanks

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nobody have good results or sources?

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I got nothing. I don't use them.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Clarence, This may help:

https://lygte-info.dk/info/CR123A%20and%20rechargeable%20substitutes%20UK.html

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I can only offer opinion here. I love my CR123 surefire lights, but they are a pain for batteries. Those are expensive to buy but, frankly, I didn’t know there were rechargeable CR123s.

I can get good size package of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries from Amazon at a decent price and now, can get a Cree LED flashlight for $15-20 that out-perform my name brands lights. They may not be as “reliable” per se, but I can buy almost a dozen of those for the price of a Surefire.

Not answering the OP, but the question should be, why not using common and readily available batteries?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I can only offer opinion here. I love my CR123 surefire lights, but they are a pain for batteries. Those are expensive to buy but, frankly, I didn’t know there were rechargeable CR123s.

I can get good size package of AA and AAA rechargeable batteries from Amazon at a decent price and now, can get a Cree LED flashlight for $15-20 that out-perform my name brands lights. They may not be as “reliable” per se, but I can buy almost a dozen of those for the price of a Surefire.

Not answering the OP, but the question should be, why not using common and readily available batteries?

HP. thanks for getting back. there are indeed rechargeable 123's, but for whatever odd reason they appear to come in double sized units. guessing that is because most lights use two batteries. Like i said, i love my thru nite units, nice light selector button, good construction, nice charger ( for multiple battery types) and when under lowest light setting, the batteries can apparently last 40 some odd days!. never tested it but the low light setting is real nice for setting up your stuff in a hunting blind, looking into a pack and when maintaining ones night vision.

I started using them maybe fifteen years ago when I came across a blackhawk unit and fell in love and still have it beside night table. initially they were the only ones that had the high lumins but now there are some decent AA units out there.

I embrace redundancy and like the idea of having AA and 123 units in my bags and stash of supplies. Even have AAA lights. better chance of finding a light or batteries if / when one of my units fails. AA are still likely the best for readily available supply of batteries but i also like options so have an AA and CR units in all my kits.

I am bringing in a few batteries and lights to test for a commercial client. the focus being, finding good to decent rechargeable single 123's and quality of the charger for them. Like you, i have surefires but also browning ( nice AA and CR123 units), blackhawk, thru nite and a few others

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00OL08C1O/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_3p_dp_1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0184O2JE8/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_3p_dp_1

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N2B43EN/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

as always, the more info the better. no sense in reinventing the wheel! have a good one.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

You may want to reconsider using the CR123A cells. Yesterday when I had a bit of time on my hands I was watching the Wranglerstar You Tube channel. He was talking about giving up his lights that use them as EDC and maybe giving them away or stashing them in a nightstand. The reason being was that the batteries are getting increasingly hard to find. If you want to keep using these lights, I would get as many rechargeable batteries as I could, and a couple good chargers too.

A couple years ago, I decided to use only 3 different sized batteries...AA, AAA, and 18650. My choice of the 18650 proved to be a good one as the batteries are produced in quantity for E-cigarettes and power tool batteries. I had no idea about that at the time and my luck in that decision is just that...luck.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Good thing is most flashlights designed to use 18659 also come with a 3x AAA batteries adapter. So you get versatility.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You may want to reconsider using the CR123A cells. Yesterday when I had a bit of time on my hands I was watching the Wranglerstar You Tube channel. He was talking about giving up his lights that use them as EDC and maybe giving them away or stashing them in a nightstand. The reason being was that the batteries are getting increasingly hard to find. If you want to keep using these lights, I would get as many rechargeable batteries as I could, and a couple good chargers too.

A couple years ago, I decided to use only 3 different sized batteries...AA, AAA, and 18650. My choice of the 18650 proved to be a good one as the batteries are produced in quantity for E-cigarettes and power tool batteries. I had no idea about that at the time and my luck in that decision is just that...luck.

Denob. thanks for making me think of my options etc. intersting issue about 123's, No issues at all finding them in Ottawa area but will keep an eye open and rethink things.
My Thru nite unit uses the double/ 18650 batteries and due to them being a bit wider, do not fit in any of the lights i have tested so far. will have to try my other units in the various bags to see if i have any luck with them.

here's the charger that i have for the 18650 units https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thru+nite

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network