May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

survival food

35 Posts
20 Users
0 Reactions
(@paintergirl)
Estimable Member

Hi I am a new member.

You can purchase some Mountain House and Thrive Freeze-Dried products in # 10 cans online from Costco.ca. Delivery and shipping is usually free.

We live in the Kootenays and have found this option usefull

I never realized Mountain House and Thrive had packages available through Costco. Very Cool. Thank You.

I just found that out myself recently! Not the full array of Thrive but the veggie set or fruit packs. Price seems alright on the veggie packs as well ...wish they were doing the TVP too, then I'd be able to pick some up in town. They also sell an MRE kit.

ReplyQuote
(@captain-ahab)
Estimable Member

Even when it comes to survival food there is still no reason to spend your heard earned money on poor quality food stuffs.
The big 3 when it comes to healthy foods are protein - carbohydrates - healthy fats (essential oils) and while the list does not include sugar, there is some room for honey as well as stevia to make things sweeter.
Basically you want to get the best get the most bang (nutritionally) for your buck.
My wife and I are personal trainers as well as certified health nutritionists and have taught classes including at our local church on how to shop for foods and what to look for so that you are able to eat as healthy as possible and keep poor quality food stuffs to a minimum.
When it comes to filling your pantry for long term survival you can make a trip to your local bulk food store and buy dried pastas made with 100% whole grains like whole wheat, kamut, spelt, brown rice and quinoa which all come in various pasta shapes. You can buy 100% whole wheat flour or grains for baking there as well along with brown rice. These are great carbohydrate sources and follow the rule that if it is white it probably isn’t a good food source (potatoes being one of the exceptions). The bulk food stores usually have a lot of dried beans/legumes including garbanzo beans also known as chick peas which are a good protein source. A great grain is quinoa as that also supplies you with protein.
This is a short example of great food stuffs and all of them are storable for long periods of time.
Rather than but an expensive can of some kind of noodle or bean soup why not use some of the noodles I have mentioned as well as some of the beans and make your own for a fraction of the price.
It really comes down to how much room you have and making sure to keep the nutritional content as high as possible.
They also have great storage containers available so that the little critters are not able to make their way into your survival foods.

Noli Illigitimi Carborundum
(Don’t let the bastards wear you down)

ReplyQuote
(@nootka-nick)
Eminent Member

ANYTHING TASTES PRETTY DARN GOOD WHEN YOU ARE REALLY HUNGRY,. I DO NOT MEAN MISSED MY NOON MEAL, BUT NOT EATEN IN SEVERAL DAYS. WHOLESALE SPORTS STORES IN THE INTERIOR AS WELL AS HIGH END SPORTING GOODS STORES SELL ALL KINDS OF FREEZE DRIED FOODS VERRRRRRRRY EXPENSIVE. AS STATED, LOCAL STORES SELL ALL KINDS OF GREAT CANNED AND SEALED PACKAGED FOODS THAT KEEP FOR YEARS . I ROTATE MY STASHES ON A REGULAR BASIS EAT SOME NOW AND REPLACE. AN OLD SAYING I ONCE HEARD. YOU DO NOT KNOW HUNGER UNTIL YOU HAVE EATEN WITH THE WOLVES. YOU CAN EAT CARION IF YOU HAVE NOYHING ELSE. IT MAY TAKE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO KEEP IT DOWN, BUT IT WILL KEEP YOU ALIVE, AND IT WILL NOT KILL YOU. N.N.

ReplyQuote
(@captain-ahab)
Estimable Member

But will the wolves be willing to share?

Noli Illigitimi Carborundum
(Don’t let the bastards wear you down)

ReplyQuote
(@nootka-nick)
Eminent Member

But will the wolves be willing to share?

DEPENDS ON HOW HUNGRY YOU ARE. πŸ˜†

ReplyQuote
BridenSolutions
(@bridensolutions)
Eminent Member

Hi I am a new member.

You can purchase some Mountain House and Thrive Freeze-Dried products in # 10 cans online from Costco.ca. Delivery and shipping is usually free.

We live in the Kootenays and have found this option usefull

I never realized Mountain House and Thrive had packages available through Costco. Very Cool. Thank You.

I just found that out myself recently! Not the full array of Thrive but the veggie set or fruit packs. Price seems alright on the veggie packs as well ...wish they were doing the TVP too, then I'd be able to pick some up in town. They also sell an MRE kit.

If you are looking for a wider array of the Thrive line, we have it in stock. TVP, beans, drinks, basics, entrees, etc. Feel free to check out the website or give me a call.

Briden Solutions, proudly helping Canadians obtain high quality Survival supplies. Visit us online https://www.bridensolutions.ca

ReplyQuote
(@canuckprepper)

There is also a Thrive supplier in Nelson, BC
http://www.kootenayselfreliancestore.ca/

ReplyQuote
(@prepstore)

Hello Preppers,
We are a 2 year retail supplier of prepping items in eastern Canada and are also taking on Consultants(in Canada and the U.S-) for the freeze dried food Thrive portion of our business and we can now get freeze dried Meat and Dairy in Canada for reasonable prices!! So you can earn a little money, get your own long term food storage at a great price! Please get a hold of me if your interested.

ReplyQuote
(@preppersaurus)
Reputable Member

Have you tried Mountain Equipment Co-op? www.mec.ca

You've Got To Be Tough, If You're Going To Be Stupid.

ReplyQuote
(@dandyprat)
Estimable Member

I am a shelf reliance consultant and i am always around to help! There is lots of wonderful programs to get your food storage at your budget. I can also sign others up to become consultants too, also i can try and help find a local consultant if you'd like if you would like to host a party and get your food for free and half off!
http://canada.shelfreliance.com/foreverthrive
https://www.facebook.com/ForeverThrive

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ― Jimi Hendrix
~~ http://canada.thrivelife.com/foreverthrive ~~ https://www.facebook.com/ForeverThrive ~~

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi everybody, my first time posting, yeah! Anyways, anybody know the best place in the Lower Mainland to get bulk beans, rolled oats, so on? Do I just get the biggest bag available at Costco or Superstore to fill my 5 gal buckets? I'm a newbie to long term food storage, still feeling my way through. Thanks for any feedback,
Pixie

ReplyQuote
wookie
(@wookie)
Reputable Member

Hi Pixie,

I found this place online a while ago. I just wish I live on the mainland to check it out. If you do, post back and tell all!!!

http://anitasorganic.com/

ReplyQuote
(@dandyprat)
Estimable Member

i dont know where but my MIL got a lot from a LDS church on the mainland. You can always ask a local LDS church. They are wonderful for help when it comes to food storage. I also sell thrive. The site is having some glitches but you can look around if your interested i can help you too http://canada.shelfreliance.com/foreverthrive . There is a program called the Q where you can get your food storage sent to you on a monthly budget as well which is very good for someone just starting out!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ― Jimi Hendrix
~~ http://canada.thrivelife.com/foreverthrive ~~ https://www.facebook.com/ForeverThrive ~~

ReplyQuote
(@ravencat)
Eminent Member

I'm a newbie here and gotta say I really appreciate all the info here. I'm in Sicamous with close ties still in Kelowna so all these ideas are really great. I have one to add myself, Zellers are closing down all their stores in the Okanagan and will be doing the liquidation sale on May 7. It just might be a good time to get non-perishable food quite cheap. Just as a personal note I'm really sad to see Zellers go especially since some little towns only have a Zellers for less expensive mechandise, especially for seniors or working poor. What are we going to do when they are gone? Travel to big towns to do all our shopping? I have to travel far enough as it is!

"When you are going through Hell, keep going" W. Churchill

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Emegazena

You are my first post as I just registered. I've gotten alot of my stock from the bulk section of a grocery store. beans, lentals etc, also packages of ramano noodles and things for instance like no name brand pasta + creamy garlic The $ stores have cheap pastas. If you google longevity of can foods you can get alist from there for cannned meats etc.I put all my beans, lentals, peas into serving sizes and seal them in ether a food sealer or milar bag. Also any army surplus store has mititary packeaged foods. Fun to hunt down these bargans. Enjoy.

Hi All,

I am from Vancouver downtown living in a one bedroom rent. I searched a lot about long term survival food and decided to buy 50 lbs millet in sealed buckets, 8-10 of them. But they come from Calgary and every bucket has 60 $ shipping which is ridiculous and bucket itself in discount now 95 $. which is good price for 50 lbs millet. Thats why I would love to prepare it myself. If I buy millet myself from a local shop and mylar or vacuum it and put it in a food grade bucket, will it work ? Or they heat tread millet before mylar or vacuum ? Could you help me please ? BTW millet is gluten free, lots of carb, protein an d good fat. Only thing is hard to cook πŸ™‚
Okay EDIT: I checked youtube has lots of video about long time bucket preparing. thanks.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network