May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

earthquake zone

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
susannah755
(@susannah755)
Noble Member

(@cares)
Reputable Member

I read years and years ago....oh my I am now feeling very old πŸ˜‰

...that the traditional (I think) Japanese temples were built around a central pole that went deep into the ground. Each floor of the building is built around this pole, but not attached to the pole or to the other floors. So in an earthquake they all basically slid over each other.

Just made this bodgey little picture to explain better than I can in words.

Apparently a lot of old buildings in Asia are built this way and that's why they are still standing today.

ReplyQuote
(@cares)
Reputable Member

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1299.htm

Just looked this up and I was close in my description...memory faded over the years as to the details though πŸ˜€

Looks like the site has some other interesting stuff on it too.

ReplyQuote
 diy
(@diy)
Trusted Member

Earthships are able to withstand earthquakes.
www.earthship.com

ReplyQuote
(@bcprepgirl)
Trusted Member

I didn't check in any of the links of this was in there, but I've read that Earthbag houses are earthquake proof (as well as bullet proof, flood proof, fire proof, and wind proof πŸ™‚ ). I'm on the West Coast and have been considering building one for myself.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network