May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Does CB Radio Still Exist?

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I remember CB radios as a kid growing up. It seems that ham radio is where it's at these days, though. Does CB radio still exist and is it a worthwhile investment as a communication tool? Or should I stick to the ham radio?

Adagio
(@adagio)
Reputable Member

CBs do still exist however my limited understanding is that they are for local communication where as hams can reach out..

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Sure CB still exists. As mentioned, it is a pretty local option, but it has it's uses.
Mobile units can be installed on anything that has 12volts in it, so tractors, ATVs, etc. which makes them good for homestead use.
Also, when bugging out in a convoy, cb's run off the car power, so no batteries to worry about.
They are easy to install, require no license to operate and give you the option of 39 channels (plus channel 9 for emergencies).
If you do get a cb though, you will be hearing some guys from the deep south on the air. They are using illegal signal amplifiers and usually use the lower channels.
I hope these guys would be gone when SHTF, but there is NO WAY they can hear us up north, so no worries.
Another thing to keep in mind is that with a signal meter, someone can pinpoint your location...they actually have clubs that organize these "hunts" on a regular basis.

ReplyQuote
CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Really? CB signal hunting clubs? Who knew that something like that existed. Is that just for CB radios or does that apply to ham as well?

ReplyQuote
(@ab_bunker)

CB signal hunting is not that common. I wouldn't worry about it. Some ham radio guys do what's called a fox hunt. Someone hides a tiny transmitter in an area and teams use yagi antennas to see (or hear) where the beep is coming from. It's like cupping your hands around your ears in order to find out where that little bird you hear chirping is. It's not that common either. Ham clubs will do this as a fun event or when trying to find a balloon they launched with ham gear attached to it.

ReplyQuote
(@eastcoastprepper)

I was asking myself the same question about if anyone is still on the CB.
Recently, I hooked up my old base station and it was dead silent, but I'm in the city, and I think most everyone here has cell phones, lol.

Regardless, after doing some research about what radio is the best to have, I decided to put a new mobile CB unit in my vehicle.

I've also got a pair of Baofeng UV-5R's tucked away though, just in case 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

I had a cb in my last pickup. I have yet to install in in my new rig. I was going 1hr plus scanning with only static as company. My old man still drives a rig and has also given up on his cb. Just no chatter any more.

ReplyQuote
colonelchimp
(@colonelchimp)

I have cb fitted in my landrover both in Canada and in UK, plus i have a base station in my house in Canada, cb is now very sparsley used, and the fact that it has pretty much died out makes it better, as now you can use it without much interruption and less ears listening in on your chat, cb IS NOT SECURE so NEVER say anything on there that you don't want anyone to know, prepping plans stores or what weapons or defences you have are NOT subjects you want to be discussing on the cb network, i suppose to some extent this applies to ham radio too, as with the right gear anyone can tune in to your chats.... having said that, cb is great for hunting trips or while driving the back roads for inter vehicle comms, and it also shouts louder and further than you can in an emergency, channel 9 used to be the monitored emergency channel, but i doubt that is the case today, but when your cell signal dies and you need to shout for help, that old outdated cb may...thats may..just help you get help! while we're on the subject, can someone clear up a question i have, in the UK USA and Europe channel 14 is for "breaking/calling for someone" and 19 is for Truckers to chat their hearts out, but where i am in Nova Scotia, there seems to be no real breaking channel, i have been told it's 11 or 13, but people here seem to just have their own channel where they find those they like to talk to, this makes it difficult to know exactly which channel you would use to call for help or to try and get hold of someone, so if anyone knows the "official" breaking channel that would be good to know, Thanks guys,

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

A few good points!
You are absolutely right, CB is a forgotten and little used resource...so bonus for preppers.
Around my parts, calling is done on 19 and I also don't believe that chanel 9 is monitored anymore in any official way.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

About 14 months ago I heard a guy getting shot for chatter on 9. So someone was still listening back then.

I have to find somewhere to remount mine, thinking about drilling into the new truck makes me cringe tho.

ReplyQuote
colonelchimp
(@colonelchimp)

About 14 months ago I heard a guy getting shot for chatter on 9. So someone was still listening back then.

I have to find somewhere to remount mine, thinking about drilling into the new truck makes me cringe tho.

theres loads of places to mount the antenna that don't drill into the truck, gutter mounts just clamp on, so do mirror mounts or the usual spare wheel rack mount so popular with jeepers or a magnetic mount placed on the cab roof or fender or bumper will do the trick, (quick tip for magmpunts....cover the base that touches the roof with felt or a soft material) that way the paint doesnt get scratched when you move it or if it gets knocked by a branch etc, as for inside the cab, mounting the "rig" or actual cb, for those who arent as old as me and remember the convoy film haha, you dont need to drill, to get the antenna wire inside, you can....run it through the door opening, the rubber will seal around it and it wont affect the closing of the door, or find a rubber grommet that comes into the vehicle cab and ease the wire through that, or there are glass mount antennas that stick on the glass, and the signal goes through the glass from the outer antenna to the inner pick up ,,,so thats the antenna, ...power well thats as simple as wiring in a radio so wont insult you by
going over that, mounting the cb itself without drilling holes, can be anything from wedging it between the seat cushions, to putting it out of site in the glove box, or if you have an overhead compartment put it there, Mine...is mounted inside a steel ammo box wit the stereo so that when i leave the vehicle the lid can be closed keeping people from seeing what goodies are in my vehicle, to mount the ammo box i used 2 flat steel L brackets bolted to existing bolts on the seat frame and the box bolted to them..no holes drilled BOOM job done hahah, hope this helps,

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Its a 2016 ram. A whole lot of plastic and not much real truck. I have a couple of fire sticks floating around that I will find some way to mount. Just gotta wait for less winter. Lol

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

I think CB died the minute the uv5r was born. That said....

Denob, you have any suggestions for a truck mounted, cheap, uv5r equivalent that is uhf/vhf?

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I think CB died the minute the uv5r was born. That said....

Denob, you have any suggestions for a truck mounted, cheap, uv5r equivalent that is uhf/vhf?

Why, yes I do!
Prepper Radios has a 25 watt mobile dual band unit in the $150 range.

http://prepperradios.ca/store/xcart/qyt-kt8900-dual-band-mobile-radio.html

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

I'm not surprised you did , LOL....

Looks like a good freq spread in the 2m and .7 M bands. Will check it out!

Jonesy

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network