May 03, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Prepping food for bov

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sylvie2674)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So today I was making my own 5 gallon 30/day food buckets for my BOV.
I was using malar with oxygen packets, I vacuumed sealed all my dehydrated foods in those bags.
Some homemade MRE with dehydrated go cooked foods and fruits/veggies. Yes I know freeze dried us better. 😀
The other day I was in the store and I found one heck if a deal on dual packs of vitamins C and D bottles. Each pack contains enough vitamins to last my family for a month. I threw those in malar bags as well. I also made a very basic fairest aid and sowing kit to go in each bucket. I threw in life straws for water, matches, Vaseline soaked cotton wads, some dry tinder and finally some paratrooper rope and a tar for each of us. I also took the liberty of making 4 small fishing kits that can be completed with a stick and large bags for rain ponchos or more.

Am I in the norm for doing this? Is there anything that I am missing.

I really appreciate your feedback everyone.

Thank you
Sylvie

I prep for my daughters, for they are our future.
I prep for the short and long term. Everyday I strive to learn something new.
I prep for community. For in the long run each of us need one another.

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Sylvie,

Seems like a good idea. Food stored in a vehicle may have a significantly reduced life due to the changed in temperature and moisture content. It seems like you went through considerable efforts by going with Mylar so maybe some of the atmospheric effects may be mitigated. The food I have in my vehicles' kits is really everyday food (granola bars, jerky, protein bars) that I cycle every 6 months. That food is useful not only in an emergency, but also if out and about and a meal might be skipped or later than anticipated; something you may be less likely to get or do if you have a bucket. That said, I don't know what your BOV is, so your situation may be quite different. For example, if you have a motor home parked in a garage, then your solution would be ideal. If your BOV is also your "go grocery shopping" car that sits in the hot sun, then maybe you may want to reconsider your stash.

ReplyQuote
(@sylvie2674)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you helicopilot,
Yes my bug out vehicle is an rv store in a controlled environment. However, I want to go through everything at least twice a year.
I also forgot to mention I put seed packets in each bin..
I am trying to think of everything.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Full disclosure...I'm a little jealous that you have protected storage for the RV!
I keep mine outdoors in winter and it's a pain to keep shovelled out in case we need it and keeping the battery indoors and charged.
Also, this limits what we can keep in it. We do store dry goods and some canned food year round in it, but anything in a glass jar or other breakable container comes out.
We do keep fishing gear, camp tools, clothing etc. in it throughout winter though.
The buckets are a good idea...we keep bug out food in totes for the grab n go scenarios.
I wonder though if yours is motorized...if so, how do you deal with fuel?
I would probably ALMOST empty the tank, then add some stabilizer and run the engine a few minutes...of course keeping enough fuel close by to fill it in a hurry.

ReplyQuote
(@sylvie2674)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That's a good idea with the totes Denob, however, mine are going for another use this year.
And to answer your question, no mine is not a powered rv. Ours is a hook up and go. Got it real cheap 5 years ago. Just a small rv a 18.5'. It is light and comfortable. We have used it in total 6 months since we got it. Last year. We spent 12 weeks in there waiting for the kids to finish school.
Anyway back to your original question about gas.
We have 6 bigs gerry (sp) that we rotate during the year. We also make it a point never to go below 1/2 a tank of gas in our vehicles.
We have not had to worry about shovelling snow here for the last couple of years.
As for our fishing gear, we have it in the garage ready to go, along with my daughters bows.
However it is always better to be redundant than being sorry. 😉

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sylvie,

Seems like a good idea. Food stored in a vehicle may have a significantly reduced life due to the changed in temperature and moisture content. It seems like you went through considerable efforts by going with Mylar so maybe some of the atmospheric effects may be mitigated. The food I have in my vehicles' kits is really everyday food (granola bars, jerky, protein bars) that I cycle every 6 months. That food is useful not only in an emergency, but also if out and about and a meal might be skipped or later than anticipated; something you may be less likely to get or do if you have a bucket. That said, I don't know what your BOV is, so your situation may be quite different. For example, if you have a motor home parked in a garage, then your solution would be ideal. If your BOV is also your "go grocery shopping" car that sits in the hot sun, then maybe you may want to reconsider your stash.

Came across this chain as I looked up foods for a vegetarian friend of mine. He’s not adverse to,eat bit him and his wife prefer veggies. Anyways back to the topic of go buckets...
Besides the granola bars and other quick eats, I have sea ration biscuits in the go bags I carry in my vehicle. This winter, I added pasta and rice packed in Mylar and put into a small duffel bag. The vehicle is in a detached garage and seldom in the sun. In the 35 degree heat this summer it for the first time in twenty years, did get blasted warm in there. No idea what the effect is on the pasta and rice in that heat but may crack open a bag this fall and test.

I keep a number of Tupperware tubs full of mylared food, spices... all stacked beside vehicle. Plus other Tupperwares full of all manner of odds and sods that are to heavy for the bags. Spare insect spray, pots and pans, larger knives, tarp, batteries, solar panels, seasonal clothing, canned heat,............ a sort of mini camp supplies all ready to throw in the back of the big suburban to compliment all the packs, meds and other skit that is always with me.

This was a great old thread and I think should be resurrected by folks for possible and sudden road travel restrictions this fall or winter? Being stuck on the road or trying to navigate back roads to remote camp may be needed!

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network