May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ration Bars

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@hammer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been away a while, working lots, prepping lots, and just being generally exhausted LOL

As I said, I've been prepping lots and in my prep searches I came across a recipe for Ration Bars. I just tried this out today and it works fantastic.

So, here goes and it's 6 servings (I cut mine into 12) at 1000 calories each (with 12 bars, it's 500 each approx).

Ingredients
- 1 cup Softened Butter
- 1 cup Sugar (I used brown sugar)
- 3 tbsp Light Corn Syrup (or a little more to taste)
- 3 tbsp Honey (called for raw, I used homogenized)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 9.5 cup Finely Ground Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup sliced Almonds

Instructions
Cream together butter, sugar, corn syrup, honey, and vanilla. Grind rolled oats using food processor or coffee grinder (I used magic bullet and ran the almonds thru as well), then slowly stir in almonds & oats. Press into 13"x9" pan. Bake @325F for 15-20 mins. DON'T OVERCOOK. As soon as removed from oven press the mixture firmly with a spatula (very important). Cut into squares and let cool in pan.

And there you are! I had to add a little water to make it mix near the end, but it couldn't have been more than 2 tbsp.

H

Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best

(@bigdig)

Thanks for the recipe i keep all the ingredients anyway but not too good of a cook so anything that is easer to prep im all for.

ReplyQuote
(@hammer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Honestly, if I can make it, you can. I don't know anyone else who can successfully burn water, AND set a fire alarm off at the same time 😛

Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

This looks like a great recipe. Curious what the storage life is...?

ReplyQuote
(@hammer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No idea, but I'd be willing to bet a couple months unpreserved (just in a ziploc) and in vacuum sealed bags, years?

Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Thanks for posting that.
I think you could get better storage life out of it if you used raw honey(maybe not, you're heating it up anyway) and clarified butter (Ghee). I had a jar of Ghee at the cottage at room temp all last year with no noticeable spoilage. Still there (unheated)over the winter and will see in the spring.

ReplyQuote
(@hammer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well honey, in any form, won't rot or mould as far as I know. As for the effectiveness of these bars. They'll keep ya alive, but they'll clean you out like a box of bran! Just keep that in mind.

H

Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

They do have a lot of fat in them. Depends on your diet. If you eat a Paleo diet(no grains) you're not nearly so sensitive to fat.

ReplyQuote
(@hammer)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oh they have lots of fat, but they've got WAYY more fiber.

Prepare for the worst
Hope for the best

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network