May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Guns In Your BOB

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

If your getting a crossbow for survival, stick with a single string bow. You might need more torque to string a strong one but at lest you wont need a professional to re-string it for you if/when the string breaks. :mrgreen:

"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If your getting a crossbow for survival, stick with a single string bow. You might need more torque to string a strong one but at lest you wont need a professional to re-string it for you if/when the string breaks. :mrgreen:

I have done some reading today and am considering a recurve traditional. Not much to go wrong with it. The wife wants a X-bow though, so I will take your comment seriously ranger2012.

On another note for all you gun shooters. I saw this as someones signature on a hunting site.

"PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE RISING COST IN AMMO PRICES I WILL NO LONGER BE FIRING A WARNING SHOT." πŸ˜†

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Gravlore,

A good style of bow to research is a take-down recurve. No complex cams, pulleys or multiple strings. If you draw the string with your right hand the world is your oyster. PSE makes a good take-down recurve. In fact, they make quite a few. If you have access to a friend with an American address, you can try shopping at: www.sportsmansguide.com Bow, axes, firearms, rifle scopes, nightvision and even some knives cannot be shipped to Canada by the sportsman's guide.

If you are looking at a compound bow, my best advise is to find the bow with the maximum draw at the lightest weight when fully rigger with sights, arrow rest, quiver and extra arrows. Like a rifle you will have to carry this all day and then be able to draw, sight and release, and hit your target in a moments notice without making any noise.

Back to the take-down recurve for a moment, when in the packed configuration it can be stored inside your BOB until you actuallly need it. Many will tell you that guns will win againsta bow in a fair fight. Don't fight fair and your quiet bow will win against a noisy gun. Then you will have a bow and a gun.

Just a couple of thoughts,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I like bows. I remember shooting a simple plastic thing at camp and absolutely loved it. FF 25 years and I still don't have one. The wife is interested too. I can pretty much draw anything. I told her about the single string X-bow today, then she said why not just a regular bow. I said, what a great idea. πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for the info since I am in the dark when it comes to such matters.

ReplyQuote
ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

For those who are not proficient with a bow a crossbow is very much like shooting a rifle, and will reload in less or the same time as a muzzle loader, unless your toting a heavy load battle crossbow (crank, crank, crank). After firing 5-20 times you can figure your sighting / range. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@appollonious)

I hate to bring up an old thread, but there's too much bad information on here to ignore. Hammer's close to correct (except its a 45 day, minimum, waiting period for your pal/rpal.) As in everything, do your research. Double and triple check before you accept someone elses opinon as fact. Having said that, ill share a few of my opinions and spinkle a few facts in aswell.

Its seems like most folk think that when shtf youve gotta be able to drop a moose to survive. They seem to forget that small animals are far more abundant, easier to pack, clean, and require alot less stopping power than a moose! (How were u planning to store all that meat anyway?) Gophers, rabbits, and birds are more logical game.

Modern bows/crossbows are terrible shtf choices! They're engineered with sooo much mechanical advantage that any homemade wooden arrow will shatter upon contact with the string, and most likely send splinters into your face. Modern arrows and bolts are designed yo handle the force however so if you choose this as your weapon, stock up on shafts!!
Also count on breaking 19 out of 20 shafts fired.

An ol' fashion longbow is an excellent choice though. It wont have the knock down power to harvest larger game, but you can make your own bow, arrows and strings with a little knowledge

Handguns are probably not a good choice for most canadian preppers. 1st off no matter how many locks, safes etc you store your handgun in, you can not carry it legally in canada, except as desginated on your ATT (authorisation to transport) so you better be sure law and order wont be restored before bugging out with a restricted weapon. Next, the only pros for a hangun is its small size anf weight and easy maneuverability in close quarters. If your idea of survival is shooting it out in thr grocery store for the last can of beans go for a handgun. Plus, most canadians dont own handguns, so your chances of scavaging / bartering for ammunition is slim. So choose something with more accuracy, available ammo, and range.

Imo .22's and 12 gauges are prime choices guns as well as carbine style hunting caliber rifles. The sort of thing your nieghbor might have spare ammo for. Realize that there are pros n cons to any firearm model and reasearch whats best for your application.

The original post was regarding guns IN your bob. (Not slung over shoulder, strapped to bag etc) given that youre obviously after something compact and legal to carry in your bag, I only see a few choices. (Google will help you with thr rest)

A "mare's leg." Approx 24" long, 5-7 lbs, lever action with several manufacturers to choose from and many calibers available. Ive never shot one, but hear its like nothing else. No way to sholder it. Although its said steve McQueen practiced daily and wad a cracks shot!

A "coach gun" is a short barrel shotgun, usually side by side

A "take down" rifle is designed to come apart in 2 or more pieces for easier transport. Many choices in manufacturer and caliber s

The henry survival rifle/AR7. Definitely the lightest and most compact of your choices. Bare in mind 22 semi auto's can be finicky about which brand they like. Ive heard mixed reviews from owners about the quality. I know I wouldnt put my life on 3lbs of plastic and aluminum!

If I was forced to only carry one gun, and wanted it to fit in a back pack id probably go with the .22 mares leg or 12 gauge coach gun. Id also pack a stock extention or something to help shoulder/steady it. Then again, ive never fired one to know how accurate It could be. Personally, I dont see the sense in having a firearm in a backpack (exept as a backup.) If the SHTF id prefer my weapon closer to my hands.

And thats about it. All of these choice make sacrifices in reliability and/or accuracy in order to be compact

For catching food on the run a sling, slingshot, or well thrown rock/stick are the best picks. Practise and make sure you can hit your target. Of course youve got a good knife for cleaning and skinning your kills already packed.

Whatever you choose, make sure you can use it effectively everytime, otherwise your just packing extra weight.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
ranger2012
(@ranger2012)
Noble Member

From what I've seen of the mare's leg, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to install a telescoping butt stock on this to give you a shoulder stock. But I would have to have this puppy in my hands to see the viability of this possibility. 😈

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network