May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Whats to fear...?

29 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Maybe you're just looking more now. When a warm front is approaching contrails can continue to grow, Super cooled moisture needs some dust or carbon particle to condense on and begin to form a cloud. Jets emit a lot of carbon particles.

On the other hand it does not account for the sometimes incredibly high levels of aluminum and barium levels in rainfall .........

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I figured this a good intro. Whats to fear? For one, our fellow man and our emergency responce plans and inabality for governement to ahandle even a minor event. Lets use current fiasco in Ottawa

Flooding in Ottawa and what it reveals

Best lessons are those observed or experienced on a personal level

While I am not impacted by the current flood in and around the Ottawa area, I can observe certain issues. Issue or concerns that would be worth noting for anyone living in a city.

1. The governments at all levels are grossly unprepared. A cabbage or pet rock knew that we had a little bit of extra snow this winter and we were getting some additional rain as well. This would and was predicted to raise flood concerns. Why not lower the water levels at all the dams we have starting in February? I live near a river that used to flood almost every spring, but I am guessing someone had a few brain cells and did in fact do just that/ lower water levels at all the locks!

2. Civilian and government wherewithal to deal with even minor issues that I know would not frazzle a semi bright 17 year old male (moi), are causing adults to freeze up. I watch people panic over 6 inches of water on a road, city officials crying over city service people not being able to rescue people and advising folks to abandon ship. This when the waters are maybe a foot deep on a paved road! I could drive through a foot of water in a corvette for Gods sake and they can’t do it in a 4X4 Ford 150??? OBVIOUSLY they can ( I hope, but have my doubts) and yes they are likely trying to reduce their future efforts but for heaven’s sake, it make you sound like a five year old girl who lost their puppy. ( no offence to five year old girls as I know what mine did with carrying firewood and might proud of them)

3. Watched people panicking over getting propane tanks (300 pounders) in a trailer and men lifting it in. Take a caterpillar shovel, get the job done and don't hurt yourself. use the RIGHT tools!!! Use two nylon lift straps and plop it in the trailer and bobs my uncle. It’s not as if the large propane companies in our nation’s capital, haven’t the money. Where’s the military, practicing marching up and down the bloody square? I know they have vehicle service trucks with those funny little crane type devices on the back / SARC and that they use to service their equipment. Also know there are flatbeds and medium and heavy equipment rental companies within ten miles of the area. To me it looks identical to the military during the 98 ice storm and asking service members to use their personal credit cards to buy supplies at Canadian tire to keep emergency centers operating!!! Have we learnt anything in twenty flipping years? If we rightly predicted flooding, why not have the equipment ready to use?? its as if we hired 100 elementary school kids, gave them 100 in total and set them free to put a plan together. This isn't Monday morning quarterbacking, this is preparedness 101 on issue we all know about and its not confined to old tales from our grandparents but floods of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Did no idiot in emergency planning, military, propane companies…… figure to rent some medium level construction equipment or services from the contractors around town? Load restrictions are on, so not like there isn’t equipment available!!!? It reminds me of when we sent soldiers over to Afghanistan after 911 and they didn’t have proper color boots… I as a civilian could have ordered them in myself off the web ( I remember for fun checking quantities I could get at the time and in different sizes) but idiots in procurement couldn’t get tan boots or clothing, instead we looked like spruce trees with black roots in the desert.) Hello Mr Taliban, aim for the green blob on tan background!

Nope, I watch and cry. The ONLY thing that ticks me off is how I could get sucked into their stupidity. A very short event and we are safe in the country, a longer term event and the morons who freak out at 6-12 inches of water on a paved road, will wander out to the countryside like lost but dangerous and hungry dogs.
5. Anyone living in the city and is prepping or “adapting to events”, best have a real good plan to get the heck out fast and hopefully buy some time. I pray I am never in a city and far away from home when anything really bad happens. Average citizen and the governments they / I may depend on will be useless at best. Get out and fast!!!

A true disgusting embarrassment on the inability of our Nation’s Capital to deal with minor events. Lord help us during a small cyber… attack.
Anyone new to taking the initiative to adapt or prepare for emergencies on many different levels and believing the gov will be of help in a serious situation, they best forget it. You are on your own and its as simple and complex as that!.

PS to any one prepping. Don’t build in an EASY to predict flood area!!! Don't build a flat roof in high snow area.... Start with smart builds and your already way ahead of the game. If your on a lake or river and risk of flood is present, either raise the house or sell (likley make some good coin on the flip ) and relocate.

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

Clarence, not sure from where you are "observing" - but in response to #4, as someone who just returned from my 2nd stint this week sandbagging - I sure looked to me like the City has out there (in the flood zones) a sh*t-ton of heavy equipment, dump trucks, backhoes, etc pulled into service. Most of it has City of Ottawa logo, some is private businesses. The military also has their big vehicles out (alas, no sandbagging machine at our spot).

I did not witness anyone "freaking out" at 6 inches of water. I have friends (along with thousands of others) who are wading through a lot deeper that than to help those in need & try to save some homes which can still be saved.

But no, of course you're not Monday morning quarterbacking... 🙄 ffs

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Clarence, not sure from where you are "observing" - but in response to #4, as someone who just returned from my 2nd stint this week sandbagging - I sure looked to me like the City has out there (in the flood zones) a sh*t-ton of heavy equipment, dump trucks, backhoes, etc pulled into service. Most of it has City of Ottawa logo, some is private businesses. The military also has their big vehicles out (alas, no sandbagging machine at our spot).

I did not witness anyone "freaking out" at 6 inches of water. I have friends (along with thousands of others) who are wading through a lot deeper that than to help those in need & try to save some homes which can still be saved.

But no, of course you're not Monday morning quarterbacking... 🙄 ffs

Hope. I observed from my TV, & Web.
I was considering helping out but due to a heart issue, I figured it best I keep my ticker, ticking and not risk it for people who for decades refused to sell or raise their home to an intelligent level. Sounds like a cop out but it really is a strategic move on being smart ( made to many dumb ones in the past and now know better)
Before you tell me it was the highest level yet and people were caught off guard, I will repeat what I have heard this time around and in 2017. "It never got this high” well maybe not, but did it get to within 3 or 10 inches, or even two feet??? Why of course it has and they ignored it, crossed their fingers and were happy they missed "that one” I grew up near a river in Quebec and every flipping year in the 60 & 70's people were flooded out. Sorry but not much sympathy. I know, cold hearted SOB but here’s the thing. When all of our insurance rates and taxes go up to cover what is an easily prevented and recurring event, I am not a happy camper and blame those who can’t see the obvious and while I may have helped when I was younger, I sure am not risking my heart and screwing up my family because people can’t accept reality.

Now to your issue with my number #4. Again, watching all the media, I did see some dinky toys out there. Whoopee! Per my note, I watched two men in hip waders (bless their hearts) trying to lift or position propane tanks onto a trailer that were otherwise going to be floating and banging around. Smart and good move on their part!. Seeing as a cabbage would know that these tanks were going to be an issue, it was and is a simple matter of a boom truck being dispatched and simply picking them up and carry them off on a flat bed. But NO, instead good people risked injury because there wasn’t enough proper equipment and poor planning on a local level. Did no genius conduct a walk about Threat Risk Assessment? Dumb if they didn’t and even dumber if they didn’t act on what should have been an obvious item in the report!

I worked in James Bay for close to six years, elsewhere in the world and cities here in Canada and know what heavy equipment is and can do! Some armored personnel carriers with a gun mounted on the top look cool and can be used to extract people and pull things in and out/ got it! Again, so what, when I see volunteers in tin fishing boats!!!!ATV's, Argos and pickups bringing sand bags and being driven by volunteers, I ask myself where the real equipment is? Bless their hearts for helping but nowhere did I see large commercial or military flatbeds, large gravel pit front end loaders (backhoes are cute and have their place but in a situation such as this, they are or should be relegated to very light duty and the big equipment, operated and supported by professionals (lots of them) would have been far more effective. I am sure some may be gritting their teeth at what appears to be cavalier or arrogent statements by me but the truth is the truth.

Here’s another point. We know floods happen right? So a smart government who actually cares and has their snot together, would have hundreds of thousands of these sand bags already made, on pallets in a nice dry warehouse and able to be transported to regions, within a day. Sort of like all the wildfires we have and every blasted year, we see forests burn and communities upended, WHY? Because we are too stupid to have plenty of water bombers for fires and deploy them quickly. we KNOW they happen each year. It’s like we have perpetual seven year old boys running the show and they can’t understand why they don’t fly when they jump off a garage roof!

Seeing as we all knew the water would likely be high (at least anyone with half a brain) the flatbed trucks would have been parked in local school, municipal, federal and military yards, all loaded to the gills with plastic wrapped pallets of nice sandbags and ready to be driven for one to four hours at max and unloaded by real heavy construction forklifts ( like at a military airport) and transported to bobs house that should have been raised 40 years ago when it was built or turned into a permanent residence! AND NOT loaded into bobs 14 foot tin boat by high school kids and people such as yourself (bless everyone’s heart for doing what they/you did) and put around homes or roads. Take the nice big flatbed, park at end of the road, take a big forklift with nice big tires and drive a few hundred feet at max to bob and Mary home and plop on lawn, then place plastic sheathing and sand bags out. Another forklift or simple 4X4 truck drives up with pumps, generator, fuel and people to set up and operate. Put one soldier per shift to help ensure they stay working and not rely upon a poor 70 year old to stay up all night checking on fuel and oil levels!

I watched small construction trucks bring gravel to shore up a bridge in Pembroke. I was able to see at least a mile down the road because the cameraman was focused on the big melodramatic scene of the trucks arrival. Wow, a truck with some gravel! Not another one in sight. Now again, from my experience as a construction superintendent on some of the largest projects in the world, if I didn’t see at least another three trucks in that one mile image, I would be on the radio and asking where the flip are the other trucks, at that rate the hydro dams we were building would take 150 years to build versus one to two!.

My wife picked up on the absence of a large tarp being placed on an eroding bridge junction prior to rocks being dumped down by the truck. My wife’s a smart lady and I instantly agreed with her. Where were the geniuses from emergency preparedness Canada? Maybe getting ready for next week’s preparedness week and delivering folders about three days’ worth of essentials!.

Please do not take this as an affront to you or those who did help, you and the thousands who did help did a noble thing and hopefully ( but sadly I doubt it) the people who live along the rivers , lakes and low areas within a city, ALL sell their homes or jack them up THIS summer. Taxpayers should never have to pay for this recurring cluster "F" ever again.

As to people freaking out, yes I did see them, they were in boats paddling ( pushing themselves along instead of simply walking and pulling it by a rope!!!!!!!!!!! ) in six to 10 inches of water, saying they are afraid the water will breach the road and they won’t be able to get out or have help come to them, ( it’s not going up ten feet but maybe 6, 8 inches or two feet. Unless you’re a handicapped midget, two feet of water isn’t going to stop a person. Yes its cold and that is why there exists nice wool socks, rubber boots and hip waiters. If it is a concern, they they should leave their home and let it go!. ! Mayor Watson talking about being afraid of being unable to get to people with rising water! Really dude? If you can’t handle a foot or god forbid two of water ( road’s are still under that water and easy for a front end loader or truck to drive on!) how in the heck would we ever manage a serious disaster or terrorist attack? Well I know the answer and that is, we won’t be able to.

These criticisms are aimed at all levels of government and their obvious inability to plan and execute in an efficient manner for an easy to predict/ed and even worse yet, RECURRING events!

Again, there is far better equipment out there then some municipal trucks, backhoes and some military trucks with the much focused on, gun turrets. You know another thing I did not see and I can guarantee the media would be tripping over themselves to show, we never once witnessed a large military zodiac or amphibious craft? We have them you know! Surely to heavens we could have used some and told the duck hunters and fisherman to not spend their money on gas or risk hurting themselves in their tin boats. The big military zodiacs could have ferried sandbags or am I wrong? What great civic emergency practice for our military! “FFS” as you like to say! 🙄

Reason I am on this site is to help people understand how much they will be on their own and dispel as best I am permitted to by law, how poorly off we are when it comes to government preparedness. All I am doing is pointing out the obvious and things my family can easily point out. These events are perfect learning opportunities and if we take the personal emotions out of it and think of what we don’t or do sadly see or hear in the images or news reports, we will understand where we are and will be, in a serious situation. Thus mt statement or warning about anyone planning on staying in the city. This flood, while predictably heartbreaking to many, is and was not anywhere near a true disaster. For bob and Mary it was, but for the 99.9999999999% of the population it wasn’t. It was a few inches or feet of water in flood prone areas in the nation’s capital with in theory, all the resources or access to heavy equipment, pumps and generators, fuel, electricity, food, water, Air flights, solid paved roads under the water, lodging and a number of military bases nearby and no distractions like a war going on or civil unrest.

I know there is a thing such as civic pride and the satisfaction of people coming together in a crisis. I got that and have done my share but while I was not there this time, I was still able to observe. If I am wrong in my assessment of the situation, please do tell me. I welcome being proven wrong in a threat risk assessment situation, as it helps me learn

ReplyQuote
(@laz-1)
Eminent Member

I do not prep from fear, but rather from foresight. I minimise the potential hazards I can forsee and control the situations that are controllable, and as for the rest, I accept that I can NOT foresee or control EVERYTHING, so I try to simply roll with the punches.

( The classic " God grant me the strength , courage, wisdom, etc prayer)

I realise that being born implies a death sentence ...
nobody gets out of here alive.

We will all ( ALL ... yes, even YOU)
DIE!

But not everyone will truly LIVE!!

I embrace the present, and look forward to a future that may be "interesting" and "challenging".

I do not rely on others to "rescue" me.
I do not rely on any govt, local, provincial, or federal to defend me ... when seconds count, the police may be only minutes away.

I do not expect any govt, local, provincial, or federal to act capably and within reasonable time frames on any major crisis.

I am a prepper ...
self reliance, a good versatile skill set, a willingness to work WITH other good people, and a bad attitude for the bad people, is how I expect to put off my inevitable end as long as possible.

But hey,
death IS inevitable,
so I am enjoying what time I have left as much as possible,
TODAY!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I do not prep from fear, but rather from foresight. I minimise the potential hazards I can forsee and control the situations that are controllable, and as for the rest, I accept that I can NOT foresee or control EVERYTHING, so I try to simply roll with the punches.

( The classic " God grant me the strength , courage, wisdom, etc prayer)

I realise that being born implies a death sentence ...
nobody gets out of here alive.

We will all ( ALL ... yes, even YOU)
DIE!

But not everyone will truly LIVE!!

I embrace the present, and look forward to a future that may be "interesting" and "challenging".

I do not rely on others to "rescue" me.
I do not rely on any govt, local, provincial, or federal to defend me ... when seconds count, the police may be only minutes away.

I do not expect any govt, local, provincial, or federal to act capably and within reasonable time frames on any major crisis.

I am a prepper ...
self reliance, a good versatile skill set, a willingness to work WITH other good people, and a bad attitude for the bad people, is how I expect to put off my inevitable end as long as possible.

But hey,
death IS inevitable,
so I am enjoying what time I have left as much as possible,
TODAY!

well said!

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Clarence, not sure from where you are "observing" - but in response to #4, as someone who just returned from my 2nd stint this week sandbagging - I sure looked to me like the City has out there (in the flood zones) a sh*t-ton of heavy equipment, dump trucks, backhoes, etc pulled into service. Most of it has City of Ottawa logo, some is private businesses. The military also has their big vehicles out (alas, no sandbagging machine at our spot)...

I must admit that I get a little miffed at the efforts made to save homes from flooding. If I buy a home on a river or lake, my insurance rates reflect this risk. It is (imo) not the taxpayer's responsibility to foot the bill for saving the individual (or insurance company) the costs of damage.

Certainly helping ensure that people are safe and removed to a safe location is only reasonable. People have a responsibility to protect their own property. If they request assistance, they should be given the bill. I doubt that this is the case though.

If I have a heart attack and need an ambulance, I can expect EMS to send me a $500 bill for services rendered. Similarly, this should be the case to homeowners (with million dollar homes) who buy or build their homes in a flood plain.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I will post a new comment on propane shortly. I came across the below comments on flood when doing a search for propane.

So for folks in ottawa and elsewhere who are affected by floods or other easily foreseeable event. I wonder what all the crying river and lake front people have done since the spring of 19? Are they simply renovating the damaged carpet and drywall, did they all sell or did they jack up homes? My guess is, 99.9% have simply made a claim and are having new stuff built and almost none have done what is truly needed. Guess we will see who is out wailing away about a surprise flood in the spring of 2020. If they are lucky, nothing happens and they will of course / per previous years, say “ we will be fine, that was a rare event”. Meanwhile our taxes and insurance rates go up to pay for these nice folks

Of course we won’t need to wait for spring floods to have people alla fluster. We have winter coming and people will be shocked when a snow or ice storm strands them on the road or short of food and heat. Hilarious lot the human species

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Listening and watching hurricane Dorian and I have a few observations. Not listed in order

1. I am finding the video and other coverage of the Bahamas hit, extremely vague and limited. Oh the usual minor stuff and wide framed images but when you consider the size of the storm, the fact that it’s the Bahamas and not some who cares African country, I find it very odd and may play into my other observations.

2. You do not see much in the way of naval or air support. Considering everyone knew it was coming and in theory was stationed nearby, I find it very suspicious.

3. You witness the usual dude standing on a beach in one foot of water and leaning into the winds but not much else. Governor giving address to evacuate...

4 there are a few reports by citizens on page ten of a paper talking about gangs roaming around pilfering but again, considering the Bahamas is a friendly, close and well visited location, one would assume there would be more coverage of this.

5 here’s a clip, I stumbled across from another website. I am not an infowars follower but who am I to disregard a potential source. Accurate info sure as heck won’t be found in typical evening news.

https://www.infowars.com/in-dorian-ravaged-bahamas-armed-militias-stop-people-from-looting-killing/

Again , one would usually see the MSM picking this up. If not for anything else but to discredit a gov or highlight the evil use of guns by racist white men /

6. Can it possibly be that governments are simply running out of money to launch the big dramatic rescues of five or ten years ago? I know everyone is focused on President Trump and Experiencing TDS but still, based on previous events, I would expect more coverage

7. Locally in eastern ontario, there is basically ZIP about the spring floods, water is still high on the st Lawrence, so obviously, even after a dry summer, someone on the quebec border is keeping the water from flowing into Montréal. Wonder what next spring will be?

8. Just a weird feel about the absence of news, response and follow up to such large
Events. Only thing people can yammer about is climate change. But frig all else?

9. I have a hunch, governments are getting overwhelmed, no money... and just wish to keep the news down and populace like mushrooms. No tin hat stuff here, just trying to figure out why things that would normally get a few days of drama queen coverage are pretty quite with even minor details. I am going with absence of funds and as a result, embarrassment / desire to gloss over their inaction. All of which does not bode well / help those trying to keep abreast of things and adjust plans accordingly.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Update from the Nova Scotia Hurricane zone

I just wanted to give an update. As everyone knows, Hurricane Donian came ashore just outside Halifax. NS had a power loss to approx. 350,000 customers. I was without power for 30 hours. About 200,000 customers are still without electricity. That said I have four 50+ foot spruce trees leaning over the power lines to my home and an on the list for the power company to remove.

I was actually surprised that most of the homes in my area had generators and the lights were on. An encouraging sign that more people were prepared than I would have thought.

Other than the material covering the box of my pick-up being ripped by falling branches. We came out of it alright.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I just wanted to give an update. As everyone knows, Hurricane Donian came ashore just outside Halifax. NS had a power loss to approx. 350,000 customers. I was without power for 30 hours. About 200,000 customers are still without electricity. That said I have four 50+ foot spruce trees leaning over the power lines to my home and an on the list for the power company to remove.

I was actually surprised that most of the homes in my area had generators and the lights were on. An encouraging sign that more people were prepared than I would have thought.

Other than the material covering the box of my pick-up being ripped by falling branches. We came out of it alright.

I was wondering what damage the hurricane did, thanks for the update.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nice to hear people around you had gennys
Also that nothing too untoward happened to those posting on this board. Hope the people in ottawa have their stuff together for next spring and aren’t all mouth agape at water in their basement again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

One is the absence of good intel. The blather of media while not new, seems to contain less and less details on covid. Most of the supposed news sources parrot the same thing and thus, do not provide new info of value. Politicians have mastered the art of saying nothing and opposition questions are neither hard hitting or informative.

So That’s one

Another is seeing people losing their minds and what I see as a form of paralysis setting in and how it may impact my family

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Per my previous post. Here is an article that appears sensible or possible and is exactly what I was referring to. The absence of good information. Given the aledged importance of covid, one would think that the below would be on multiple evening news broadcasts. Maybe it’s just me but I think they could talk less about some stupid baseball..... team being ill and pop this on instead. Then again, it would cause people to call their MP.. and ask serious questions. So for us on this board, our heart functions are important and while we may survive The initial covid event, the heart issue can effect our ability to do what we need to do during a crisis. So staying healthy / covid free is extremely important. To bad the media can’t find the time to broadcast this on evening news in lieu of some game not being played.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/927908/even-mild-coronavirus-cases-cause-lasting-cardiovascular-damage-study-shows

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network