May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bug-Out Bags

28 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

sewing kit, emergency blanket, 35mm camera film can with curry powder or your spice of choice 😉

ReplyQuote
(@colonelalvin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a similar list to Colonelalvin's with just a couple of differences:
(1) Hennessy Hammocks instead of the tent (adapted for the season as required) and tarp/groundsheet. They're lighter, easier to set up and you're off the ground.
(2) Swedish firesteel for starting fires with an extra firesteel rod.
(3) Moistened wipes instead of toilet paper. The wipes can be used as toilet paper and to clean minor wounds.

Yes, I like the idea of the hammock, I hadn't thought of that! I do also have tarps and ground sheets. I have firesteel and matches. Moistened wipes i also have too.

Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail!

ReplyQuote
(@colonelalvin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I will be adding in Diarrhea Medicine!
(just do not ask why) important for if it hits, your body will get depleted so fast to the point of exhaustion, you will not be able to soldier on.

Yes I agree Wilderness! Should be in every first aid pack.

ReplyQuote
(@colonelalvin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

sewing kit, emergency blanket, 35mm camera film can with curry powder or your spice of choice 😉

I totally agree UKVet. Very useful items to be included. 35mm film I presume, to use for fire starting? Curry powder, though the smell could potentially make you more easily found...hot spices like curry and chilli are always great! Hotter the better lol.

ReplyQuote
(@omegamanhorhay)

i think people are underestimating staying warm for their 72 hr bug out bags. Don't follow the lower latitudes for your bobs. plan for your climate in canada. how many people actually have taken just their bag and gone winter camping with just the contents they currently have?

ReplyQuote
(@colonelalvin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I totally agree with what you said. My kit includes clothing for all seasons including harsh Canadian winters and extreme clothing. My sleeping bag is also rated as such. It should be common sense naturally, that all preppers prepare their kit in the same way, as I imagine they do. Fail to prepare...prepare to fail!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i think people are underestimating staying warm for their 72 hr bug out bags. Don't follow the lower latitudes for your bobs. plan for your climate in canada. how many people actually have taken just their bag and gone winter camping with just the contents they currently have?

ME, I have a winter addition a bag that has all my winter emergency gear sitting there, transfer in the summer clothing, modify and then voila.. winter bug out bag.
Yes, you do make a good point, I normally carry 3 days worth of supplies, in the Van is another 2 days worth. Water though only 1 day supply with a water filter and tabs to purify.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member

I've been wondering is it wise to have a pack and a tactical style vest or a check rig of some kind just wondering what everyone thinks something like the picture

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

IMO tactical is valuable in the correct stuation and environment. If you are in the field, on guard duty, on a mission, then certainly. At any time before that or in different circumstance it will only make you a target for thieves, gangs and any remaining law enforcement or military you encounter. Low profile... blend in ... hide in plain sight. THAT is the way to go.

JAB

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member

Good advice but does it help with taking a load

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

In my experience it doesn't. As civilians it is nearly impossible to find all the pieces to make a complete multi layer combat Personal Load Carrying system. As well in most instances the amount and type of gear carried is adjusted to be mission specific and rarely entails everything.

JAB

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member

Oh ok do you recommend a combat system for bugging out or just a all around system

ReplyQuote
(@colonelalvin)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a combat style vest that pairs with my main military style pack. If i need to drop my main pack, then there are two large side packs, containing primary supplies and kit, which easily and quickly detach from the main pack and clip on to the back of the combat vest...in other words as two times day sacks on my back! I respect what JustABear is saying about such kit making you a target...but my opinion is that by that point, the s***t has already hit the fan and you have to do what you need to, to survive. Once the shtf, everyone is a potential target. Desperate people do extreme things, often without thinking, care, consideration or remorse. They were not prepared and will attack anyone regardless of what, if anything, they think or can see you may or may not have. People panic and act irrational in emergencies. I say, choose the bob and kit that suits your circumstances and needs BEST. If it means you can take more kit and/or gives you more versatile options, i believe that is the best system. Options give you advantages and thus better survival odds.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network