May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Equipment: If I had only known...

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

As a Prepper, most of us start off without a clue. We buy various pieces of equipment believing it's a good idea. When we take it to the field and test it out, we often find-out that what we bought in good faith didn't do the job.

When I first started out, I bought a 'survival knife' that looked cool. I was anxious to try it out in the field and put it through its paces. Unfortunately, it snapped in-half on the first day. A knife in the bush is often used more for prying than it is for cutting. Although 440 Stainless holds an edge well, the steel is more brittle. I hadn't asked about steel type before my purchase. Lesson learned.

There are lots of products that look great, but just don't cut it in the real world. Have you ever experienced this? I'd be interested in hearing your stories! Maybe this can save someone else repeating the same mistake. 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

As a Prepper, most of us start off without a clue. We buy various pieces of equipment believing it's a good idea. When we take it to the field and test it out, we often find-out that what we bought in good faith didn't do the job.

When I first started out, I bought a 'survival knife' that looked cool. I was anxious to try it out in the field and put it through its paces. Unfortunately, it snapped in-half on the first day. A knife in the bush is often used more for prying than it is for cutting. Although 440 Stainless holds an edge well, the steel is more brittle. I hadn't asked about steel type before my purchase. Lesson learned.

There are lots of products that look great, but just don't cut it in the real world. Have you ever experienced this? I'd be interested in hearing your stories! Maybe this can save someone else repeating the same mistake. 🙂

I wrote about my try of the “water Lilly”. And fail on wind side of things. Haven’t had a chance to test in water p, which I think is, other than a hurricane, going to be practical for charging anything. Purchased some dude battery booster packs from “China tire” but that’s it.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Yep, a ( 1985 new) AR-7, couldn't resell it fast enough.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What didn't you like about it Peppercorn? I've found that the butt is too large and the front too lean. It feels weird to shoot, but it's light, floats and is packable. What were your issues with it?

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I wrote about my try of the “water Lilly”. And fail on wind side of things. Haven’t had a chance to test in water p, which I think is, other than a hurricane, going to be practical for charging anything...

This product is such a cool idea. Even if it doesn't work as well as you hoped, it was worthwhile to check-out. Thanks for posting your experiences.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

One has to keep trying new things. Sometimes they fail, but lead to other insights or a slight modification that more than pays for the initial effort.
Lock and load

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

What didn't you like about it Peppercorn? I've found that the butt is too large and the front too lean. It feels weird to shoot, but it's light, floats and is packable. What were your issues with it?

Weird is right, points like a willow branch. Heavier trigger pull than I like, Group size was terible (by my standards), I would consider it a 50 yard rifle, max. Jams with anything other than round nose ammo, or if you press on the mag the wrong way, and half the weight of the gun must be in the bolt, and with that thing slaming back and forth from a offhand shooting position such as you would likely be trying to nail a running rabbit its not condusive to a fast follow up shot, which is the wholepoint of using a semi auto. I just wasn't impressed.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

One has to keep trying new things. Sometimes they fail, but lead to other insights or a slight modification that more than pays for the initial effort. Lock and load

Hopefully, we all don't need to try new things that are a waste of money. It would be a good idea to define those products that work best. If I want to by an inverter (for example) is a modified syne wave sufficient? How many watts of solar panels will run X? What's the ideal number of dry-cell batteries that I need? What will they run. What is the experience? etc. etc. etc.

What's practical? Make, Model, how has it been used? Is it sufficient? What more is required? How can the new Prepper start to get a handle on it? How can he avoid making these same costly mistakes?

Lock and Load.... You're starting to speak my language. Don't tease me Clarence. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

I owned an AR-7 for many years. Yea, it has its drawbacks when trying to use it as a long range, match grade sniper rifle. It also doesn't work all that well as a frontline assault rifle. But, it does work quite adequately when used for its intended purpose. As an emergency, backpack tool used to obtain small game in a survival situation. With mine, I put dozens of rabbits in the pot. I don't think I have ever shot a rabbit at any distance greater than about 35 to 40 yards, so I wasn't all that concerned about it being a tack driver at 100 yards. I did find it convenient to toss in the canoe or in my rucksack when I went camping. It saves having to explain to a game warden why I'm carrying a rifle on a simple camp out or canoe trip. It was there in case I found myself in any type of survival situation.
Nowadays, I have quite a few more options, plus I haven't hunted rabbits for years. The only reason I sold mine, was because I hadn't used it in years.

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network