May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hurricane Florence

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Should be interesting times for the folks in the Carolinas.
Usual supplies starting to disappear off shelves. Seems to be flashlights, batteries, water, food and booze! People seem to never mention the cooking of the food, nor medicines, comms etc.

Booze is an interesting item and perhaps underestimated by many.

No intention of insulting anyone etc but I think it’s a very important subject.

Does the person prepping “need it” for themselves?
What happens when they run out and the resulting impact to family dynamics?
Is there is a person in your circle who has a dependency on it or other substances that you either do not know about or perhaps under estimate?
Then there is the use of it for bribes or barter. Again, due to dependence on it for some.

Not judging, just flagging a sometimes touchy subject.

Other items flying off shelves are generators. Hope they understand amount of fuel they will need, how not to run to close to house, how to secure it, safely connect to house, right
extension cords etc

Sad but always interesting to see how people react and cope

(@denob)
Member Admin

While we do partake in the occasional cocktail of split a bottle of vino at the campfire on a Saturday night, Booze for personal consumption is not even on the prepping list as this is not a priority for us. That said, I think a lot of the booze runs we are seeing is due to the fact that a lot of people will have not much better to do while they wait for the government/utilities/relief agencies to come by and make everything right again.

An interesting thing to see is how 49hours before the storm hits, supplies are already depleted and store shelves have little left but some broken cartons of eggs. Being prepared with stocks is a relief when you see this stuff happening as we know we have that much less to worry about and more time to get ready.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Really not an issue at home for us but I think Denob got it right, waiting a storm out may warrant some JD!

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I keep a few bottles of this and that in the house for guests mainly.. however I do have higher proof around for use in herbal stuff. I also like to make the odd mead or wine, so I have the supplies to do so.. but in truth I make more vinegar then I do wine.. its more useful around the farm lol

I can see it being something to consider if you have a drinker in the family.. in our case, we really don't so it does not cross my list much at all. Its crossed my list as in learn to make mead or wine or vinegar as that is a skill that would be worth in the future and so its on my dabble and get it better each year.

But with no real drinkers in the house, its not a big thing currently. As for the storm, I can see the points above.. if someone does drink.. then perhaps keeping that in stock will go along way if you are out of house, living in a hotel room with everyone all together etc.

I have to agree with Denob, I would like to think that one of the good parts of planning ahead is that we do not need to go out into the stores when these things come our way. We can reach for preps be it for the storm edge where we can stay home, or ideally be it for reaching for the kits to take with us.

One of the things I did on blog a number of years ago was a prep challenge, It was to prep a full weeks worth of daily box's.. Each box had its own breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks, way to heat the food, water, matches, candles and so forth.. it also had anything else you would need for the day.. the idea was that if the power went out, you could send anyone down to get the box's and make it work.

Its was also the idea that if you needed to leave in a hurry, you could grab your BOB and your box's and be ready to go.. IT was a interesting exercise to work though and then eat though for the weekend.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I don't drink alcohol daily, but I do weekly. My wife and I enjoy a Scotch and ice before dinner on the weekend, as well as the odd bottle of wine.

As far as prepping is concerned, I stock some alcohol. I also keep extra coffee, chocolate bars and chewing gum. If it isn't used, it's optionally available for trade, which may come in handy.

Having eaten a lot of out-of-the-ordinary cuisine (I don't find bugs and worms all that appealing) and having done without any nourishment for long periods of time on various survival courses, it's amazing what foods people start to crave after doing without. Many have shared these cravings with me. Some of the top foods are eggs, steak, chocolate and alcohol. People fantasize about the weirdest food, prepared in unusual ways. For me, I once had a craving for fried eggs (I normally eat them scrambled) and envisioned these every time I closed my eyes for days. 🙂

A large part of survival is your state-of-mind. Luxury type items can dull the pain of the situation. I'm not suggesting drunkenness, but for me sometimes the cares of the day can be set aside with a tot with the person you love...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't drink alcohol daily, but I do weekly. My wife and I enjoy a Scotch and ice before dinner on the weekend, as well as the odd bottle of wine.

As far as prepping is concerned, I stock some alcohol. I also keep extra coffee, chocolate bars and chewing gum. If it isn't used, it's optionally available for trade, which may come in handy.

Having eaten a lot of out-of-the-ordinary cuisine (I don't find bugs and worms all that appealing) and having done without any nourishment for long periods of time on various survival courses, it's amazing what foods people start to crave after doing without. Many have shared these cravings with me. Some of the top foods are eggs, steak, chocolate and alcohol. People fantasize about the weirdest food, prepared in unusual ways. For me, I once had a craving for fried eggs (I normally eat them scrambled) and envisioned these every time I closed my eyes for days. 🙂

A large part of survival is your state-of-mind. Luxury type items can dull the pain of the situation. I'm not suggesting drunkenness, but for me sometimes the cares of the day can be set aside with a tot with the person you love...

Certainly agree with the desire for a little normalcy or as you indicate, a state of mind. Love wine and have enough for a few weeks and a well stocked bar for months of small consumption.

Important for folks to ask hard questions, be honest and plan accordingly. You don’t want a person/s going into withdrawal during an emergency

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

Obviously any addiction issues are a consideration re: having alcohol in the house. Barring that, it's not a priority for myself to buy more, but since I have it lying around anyways (I go through it sooo slowly) and it keeps relatively shelf-stable over years, I can think of other uses beyond the obvious drinking: preserving/pickling (wine if left to to turn to vinegar), disinfection (vodka), high-calorie flavouring of food (all those rum products I bought for single purpose)...

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hope is ready, interesting points for cooking. I mainly think of them as barter items and for a sense of normalcy. For those inclined to make things. Learning how to make liquor could be a nice added bonus

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Well I would think boozing it up during a event to be less than wise, counter productive even, though alcohol has other uses, as others have stated, that make it a useful tool to have.

During a long term "situation" you can bet booze will be a valuable item to have or better yet, be able to manufacture, and being able to manufacture for quality does take a little practise. Brewing shops have all the equipment needed, and good instructions regarding beer and wine production that can get you off to a good start. Making your own is perfectly legal.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oddly enough and yet again not considering how gov likes to down play things. Not much chatter on msm about all those nuclear plants along the coast. Sure hope we don’t get a Fukushima or two?

Pray the original design team had brains and factored in Hurricane surges that were all well known at the time.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Pray you say? Why that's been taken care of nothing to worry about now....Pat Robertson has taken care of that himself.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP193-6Zak . Lets see how this works out 😀

"Pray the original design team had brains and factored in Hurricane surges that were all well known at the time."

You mean like the engineers that built levees in New Orleans, that couldn't hold back the water they were supposedly designed for? 50 breaks in the levee system, and no one held accountable to this day....Doesn't matter what fails, no one will be held accountable, if they where that would start a dangerous president that bankers and politicians would not like to see established.
Acountability is only for the poor in Merica!

http://www2.philly.com/philly/columnists/will_bunch/hurricane-florence-north-carolina-climate-change-politicians-20180911.html

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Pray you say? Why that's been taken care of nothing to worry about now....Pat Robertson has taken care of that himself.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP193-6Zak . Lets see how this works out 😀

"Pray the original design team had brains and factored in Hurricane surges that were all well known at the time."

You mean like the engineers that built levees in New Orleans, that couldn't hold back the water they were supposedly designed for? 50 breaks in the levee system, and no one held accountable to this day....Doesn't matter what fails, no one will be held accountable, if they where that would start a dangerous president that bankers and politicians would not like to see established.
Accountability is only for the poor in Merica!

http://www2.philly.com/philly/columnists/will_bunch/hurricane-florence-north-carolina-climate-change-politicians-20180911.html

well peppercorn. for once i agree with you 10000%
As one who has sadly seen so many moronic builds or weaknesses in security, i have reverted to praying. We have some really good people working in security, engineering etc but there are many who couldn't find their derriere in broad daylight. then and I would say in the majority of cases, there is money and other factors. poor SOB in security or engineering may say, " hey why not put the generator and fuel on top of the building or at least get it out of the basement where water will kill it and contaminate the fuel. Well says the building owner... you see, them there upper floor are for rent and fetch a higher price. You just mind your business boy and stand in the lobby and watch for vagrants.

yeppers, the shear stupidity of folks in charge of critical systems is what worries me. its why i try and prep to my abilities. seen and know enough to not believe a blasted thing people tell me.

Now, as far as i can see from boots on the ground experience, the yanks are far ahead of us in preparations and response. Yes the idiots in charge, simply rebuilt the levees to pre-katrina heights but, they can and do move faster then we do and with far more resources. If i had a choice and disasters being equal. i would prefer to be in the US. Always said if out in my boat and i was sinking, i would pray i was in or close to US waters.

the above may appear political but it isn't and i don't want to turn it into a political debate either. just a simple TRA type exercise. I love Merika and the folks down there and wish them the best.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

In the meanwhile, from the news today:

“Victor Merlos was overjoyed to find a store open for business in Wilmington since he had about 20 relatives staying at his apartment, which still had power. He spent more than $500 on cereal, eggs, soft drinks and other necessities, plus beer.
"I have everything I need for my whole family," said Merlos. Nearby, a Waffle House restaurant limited breakfast customers to one biscuit and one drink, all take-out, with the price of $2 per item”

Makes me feel better and not cynical at all...

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

In the meanwhile, from the news today:

“Victor Merlos was overjoyed to find a store open for business in Wilmington since he had about 20 relatives staying at his apartment, which still had power. He spent more than $500 on cereal, eggs, soft drinks and other necessities, plus beer.
"I have everything I need for my whole family," said Merlos. Nearby, a Waffle House restaurant limited breakfast customers to one biscuit and one drink, all take-out, with the price of $2 per item”

Makes me feel better and not cynical at all...

Read some very interesting news articles about the stats on income/vehicle ownership of those that stay behind and those that leave..

I also have a friend who is active in the Cajun Navy, she connected with them in texas and is working with them again on this one.. and first.. let me say.. BIG OLD thank you to these folks that do this on their own dime/time and its truly amazing the work/help they give.

However I saw a video posted on the facebook group and it showed them pulling in for about 3 min.. THE MONEY that showed in that video made me sigh.. even though I know they get some things cheaper down south then we do.. Four years and under new trucks, fully decked, lifted.. and tanked up, the boats.. o my gosh the boats, the gear! woah!

I am glad they are stepping up and maybe some of those gents in the trucks are not as flush as those that are the owners (heck maybe the owners are up to their necks in debt for all I know) but I can honestly say that each rig that passed that camera was sitting at 60 grand low end and 100,000 to 200,000 high end..

One of the things talked about was that those with higher income. 150,000 and above feel very flexable about packing up and moving for work, for a new home and felt that as long as they were taking their "family" they felt that they were to take care of their own.

While those with a income of 30,000 and under felt they needed to stay, that they had to help their extended community, their relatives, family and friends. That the idea of leaving their generation "home area" was not a choice they could or would make.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network