May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

1986 Miami fire fight

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all,

I came across this video while browsing a popular YouTube channel. It is a 40 minute video detailing a 4 minute firefight between law enforcement agents and two civilians in 1986 Miami. It discusses the play by play of the firefight, and goes into great detail explaining what happened. There is also commentary by the surviving agents, stating what went right and what went wrong, what was going through their minds, etc.

The reason I bring this video to your attention is to reflect what I took from it as a prepper, and to hear your thoughts on it. The things they discuss seem like simple ideas, but I think hearing it from people who have actually lived it will add some importance to the ideas.

Things like learning to operate your weapons systems under stress... With the opposite hand... Shot placement... Ammunition capacity... Fire arm and caliber effectiveness in the real world... And most importantly the will to survive. I definatley have taken their statements to heart, and have adjusted my dry practice program as a result. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3pE4XI1dNWk

See you all after.

(@maple-leaf-pilgrim)
Estimable Member

It is sound advice and good information. When I first saw this video tape during my assaulter course I paid close attention to it. A lot of things have come from that incident and it lent a lot of new insight and reinforcement of established truths about gun fighting.

Anybody can sit back here and armchair quarterback the shoot-out but remember, that was then, this is now. We have developed methods before, during and after that have been disseminated from agencies around the world that would have helped, but never got there in time. When we were finished watching the video, we were asked how we would have done it and the answer was very different, starting from the time we mustered for the job and going from there. Does this mean that these FBI Agents were idiots? No, not at all, they did not have the knowledge and training available to them that we did, if they had, they would have done it more like we would have. As a matter of fact, in the Post Op Debrief several of the things we would have done were brought up by the agents themselves. As an aside, they do it much like we do now.

The fight was literally lost for these men when they sorted themselves out for the job that very morning, they all know it now. The training program should not just include how to shoot, it should, as Buggie mentioned, include injury drills, stress training & shot placement. I would add physical movement, tactical movement, fire and movement, coordinated fire, use of cover and concealment, immediate actions (including reloading as Buggie mentioned), shot placement, CAS-EVAC drills, Blow Out drills, kit selection, including weapons, manual at arms and practical selection and application of gear.

That's why its a good idea to get in touch with guys who have done this sort of thing for a living and get their first hand experience working for you. I'll say it again, making it up as you go along will result in a tie at best, just ask those FBI Agents.

-S.

"It's not what you have, but what you have done".

-S.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Here's one from the civilian side. This guy's story is worth ten minutes of your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDgHDN_ANi4

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I found it amazing that these were trained officers, and "trained" civilians fighting at point blank, yet it seemed almost impossible to make hits. Most of the rounds that made contact were not placed well, mostly in the extremities. Especially when the one civilian got out of the vehicle, walked over to the downed officer, and fired 3 rounds from a few feet away... Missing all three shots. Again it goes to show that although going to the range and shooting paper is important... It is pretty much ineffective when it comes down to the real world. Practice how you play is the old saying, and for those of us reading this particular forum I think that we have all accepted the fact that at some point in our lives a life or death scenario could play out.

Now I don't mean against police etc (in the sense that this firefight was a criminal act)... But in the event of defending yourself or your loved ones against those who would do you harm... Retreat protection... Bugout scenarios... Etc.

If you are unable to take advantage of military or police service, the best practice you can achieve is training under stress. Take advantage of any firearm training you can get your hands on (I would also extend that to self defence training, armed and unarmed). Firing while moving... Engaging multiple targets... Firing from different positions... Open field and cqb... Team tactics with other members of your group.

Also, after watching this video I realized that everyone had a different firearm. Different makes, models, calibers, etc. I would recommend some sort of weapon and load out standardization within your groups. This makes supporting each other much more feasible and likely. Then train with each other, and get used to each others movements and behaviours. Use all the resources in your power to come up with an appropriate training program both individually and as a fire team. Practice now, so that when te time comes to defend yourself you will stand the best chance.

Also I recommend paying special attention to their comments about the survival mindset. If you are shot in the arm, you are not out of the fight. You could look at the damage, then lay down and wait to die... Or you can stand and fight. Mentally train yourself to overcome. And reinforce this mindset with the necessary skills to back it up.

Remember, as these gentelmen stated: in a firefight, there are no winners, only survivors.

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
Buggie
(@buggie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for that link scrounger, that is also a good video stressing the importance of the survival mindset and proper training.

I loved the quote "I refused to be a victim of violent crime."
Also the one "he attempted to negotiate. There is no negotiation... My life is more important then that. I'm not leaving my fate up to him"

See you all after.

ReplyQuote
(@carbon04)
Honorable Member

I found it amazing that these were trained officers, and "trained" civilians fighting at point blank, yet it seemed almost impossible to make hits. Most of the rounds that made contact were not placed well, mostly in the extremities. Especially when the one civilian got out of the vehicle, walked over to the downed officer, and fired 3 rounds from a few feet away... Missing all three shots. Again it goes to show that although going to the range and shooting paper is important... It is pretty much ineffective when it comes down to the real world. Practice how you play is the old saying, and for those of us reading this particular forum I think that we have all accepted the fact that at some point in our lives a life or death scenario could play out.

Now I don't mean against police etc (in the sense that this firefight was a criminal act)... But in the event of defending yourself or your loved ones against those who would do you harm... Retreat protection... Bugout scenarios... Etc.

If you are unable to take advantage of military or police service, the best practice you can achieve is training under stress. Take advantage of any firearm training you can get your hands on (I would also extend that to self defence training, armed and unarmed). Firing while moving... Engaging multiple targets... Firing from different positions... Open field and cqb... Team tactics with other members of your group.

Also, after watching this video I realized that everyone had a different firearm. Different makes, models, calibers, etc. I would recommend some sort of weapon and load out standardization within your groups. This makes supporting each other much more feasible and likely. Then train with each other, and get used to each others movements and behaviours. Use all the resources in your power to come up with an appropriate training program both individually and as a fire team. Practice now, so that when te time comes to defend yourself you will stand the best chance.

Also I recommend paying special attention to their comments about the survival mindset. If you are shot in the arm, you are not out of the fight. You could look at the damage, then lay down and wait to die... Or you can stand and fight. Mentally train yourself to overcome. And reinforce this mindset with the necessary skills to back it up.

Remember, as these gentelmen stated: in a firefight, there are no winners, only survivors.

three simple drills I practice all the time. choice of sidearm, Glock 22 .40 S&W...level three leather safari holster. good for retention, if you don't know how to use the holster, you cannot remove the firearm.

drill one...10' out from your target. (most pistol contacts will happen within 10' or less and people will miss) draw firearm, six rounds center mass within 6 seconds. line up the first shot only, the rest will follow...like an extended double tap. (I have it down to less than 2 seconds)

drill two...little harder, 10' out again. from holster, two rounds center mass and one to the head. YOU HAVE TWO SECONDS. first try, even though seasoned shooter will struggle, you'll find it comes to you all of a sudden and becomes second nature. (this was designed for bad guys who wear ballistic armour)

no grouping required. women/ weaker shooters, get a .22lr and practice with that, then build up. it will come no matter.

drill three....30' out, to 40' out. looking for a torso shot, nothing more. from standing, drop, do a few sit-ups, push ups, star jumps etc. get your heart beating. when you can feel it burning on your feet, draw, one round center mass. trick is, take your time, center yourself and only take the shot when ready. this will simulate the feeling and bodies reaction to stress under fire. it's not the same, I promise you, nothings the same as your first contact, however it will give you an idea. you learn how to control breathing, even when under pressure and get some rounds down that count.

big tip.....FOCUS on the front sight only. the target and rear sight should be blurred. the first two drills you should NOT BE AIMING, only the third.

REMEMBER...the fool who put you in a position where you had to draw on them deserves everything they get.

"I think that I am very reasonable therefore ......." ICRCC

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network