May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Question re Paint Balls

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dragonwriter)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Afternoon everyone,
I have a question that may seem odd to some, but here goes anyway...

Can any Canadians tell me if we need to jump through legal and paperwork hoops to buy paint balls? Not the gun, just the balls. We have an ever growing nuisance murder of crows that eat anything in our gardens, and generally piss me right off. I don't want to kill them and noise machines aren't an option here. So I came up with the idea of paint balls and slingshots. But, what's the environmental impact from the paint balls? Is the paint harmful to the birds? I don't want to kill them or poison the food chain or the land.
Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Dragonwriter

“...there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.”
Stephen King

(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Paintballs are not a restricted item and can be purchased by anyone.
Most are not balanced well and all but the best will suffer from poor accuracy.
However.
You are flirting into hunting law territory. Given the velocity possible with slingshots there is no way to guarantee you won't cause serious injury to the birds, the last thing anyone wants is an inhumane kill and the potential of having to deal with breaking the law.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Paintballs are safe enough you can get the stuff in your mouth, happens all the time. Veggie oil and food dye.
I've found them to be a great "less lethal" option for chasing off raccoons with a gun at 300 fps. Loud bangs from the gun and impacts near (or on) the animal. They run like heck and rarely come back.
Crows are very smart, you'll have trouble getting close enough after the first couple times. I doubt you would do any lasting damage to one.
I think you'll have trouble launching them with a slingshot, I think you'll squash em but probably CT has some to try.

ReplyQuote
(@mule-skinner)
Estimable Member

Motion activated water sprinkler
I live in an area with no bylaw enforcement officers
I also live in an area were people let there dogs run amuck, often digging or messing in my garden or yard
I have no dog cause I do not want to clean doodoo
The motion activated sprinkler gets the squirels to

We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network