May 13, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Suggestions for beginners - firearms

55 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@charlescobrien)

I agree Buggie about take down skills. I was in the forces back in 89 and remember that well. We had the old school FN's back then, not the tonka toy's model. I'm sure it will bring back some memories playing around with an old heavy semi auto. πŸ™‚

As for shooting... seeing as how you have one Buggie... later on once I have my own perhaps there is the chance of hitting the range together? I wouldnt mind the first time out hearing and seeing a few tips on you using yours.

Hey Scotty,
I found this site yesterday, i'm looking to connect with other like minds. Presently I live just outside the GTA, if you live in the area or know of people down this way that I could connect with and possibly join forces I'd sure appreciate any help.

Thanks for you time,
Charles

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Ruger 10/22 or Remington 870. Either or.

If you're on the move: 10/22.

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
ScottyRE
(@scottyre)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I agree Buggie about take down skills. I was in the forces back in 89 and remember that well. We had the old school FN's back then, not the tonka toy's model. I'm sure it will bring back some memories playing around with an old heavy semi auto. πŸ™‚

As for shooting... seeing as how you have one Buggie... later on once I have my own perhaps there is the chance of hitting the range together? I wouldnt mind the first time out hearing and seeing a few tips on you using yours.

Hey Scotty,
I found this site yesterday, i'm looking to connect with other like minds. Presently I live just outside the GTA, if you live in the area or know of people down this way that I could connect with and possibly join forces I'd sure appreciate any help.

Thanks for you time,
Charles

What is "GTA"? Only thing that comes to mind is Grand Theft Auto. lol. I picked up a .22 last year and been shooting up at Waiparous when I go camping

No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each day thankful because someone somewhere else right now is fighting for theirs

ReplyQuote
(@bigmoe99)

GTA=Greater Toronto Area

I to was in the forces, loved my FN C7 is a piece of crap, to lite and not easy to be accurate with

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

I never really understood the love for a shotty.
For home or urban, you need a short barrel
Hunting fowl... the longer the better, 28" is the norm and then with birds eye sight you need good camo.
Wanna shoot slugs? You need rifled slugs. 50 yard range
Yes there are rifled slug guns for 100+ yards
If you are in the move, you get 5 rounds in the tube, up to 11 for mag fed but extra rounds are heavy and take a lot of room.
Then there is cost. 1$ a round for 00 or slugs.

I'd go with the 22 personally.
My ideal package would be a pistol and carbine in matching calibers.

For on the move 22lr, 22mag or 9mm sets

For home or a stable location... my dream set is a pair of 1875 outlaws and an 1892 Alaskan takedown 20" all in 357/38

ReplyQuote
RachelM
(@rachelm)
Reputable Member

I never really understood the love for a shotty.
For home or urban, you need a short barrel
Hunting fowl... the longer the better, 28" is the norm and then with birds eye sight you need good camo.
Wanna shoot slugs? You need rifled slugs. 50 yard range
Yes there are rifled slug guns for 100+ yards
If you are in the move, you get 5 rounds in the tube, up to 11 for mag fed but extra rounds are heavy and take a lot of room.
Then there is cost. 1$ a round for 00 or slugs.

I'd go with the 22 personally.
My ideal package would be a pistol and carbine in matching calibers.

For on the move 22lr, 22mag or 9mm sets

For home or a stable location... my dream set is a pair of 1875 outlaws and an 1892 Alaskan takedown 20" all in 357/38

I have a real hankering for a 22/410 for a small game survival rifle, too bad .410 is more expensive than 12ga! And I also recently discovered that .308/12ga combos are a thing, but I've already got 12ga, 30-06, and several other large calibers.
I love my shotgun still. I have a Winchester SXP that I bought as a special that came with a 28" barrel, a shorter smooth slug barrel, and a set of 5 choke tubes. True, it is more expensive than a .22 but I wouldn't waste a 12ga shot shell on small game. Admittedly it is mostly a trap gun, since trying to get my father to actually take me out bird hunting is worse than pulling teeth.

ReplyQuote
(@nagol)
Trusted Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love my shotguns, just not my choice if I have to carry one gun.
And you are far more likely to eat hunting small game than relying on getting a deer or moose.

The wife is a great shot with her 22lr and I am fond of my 22wmr.
I'm tempted to get a 17 for the accuracy but they do too much damage to really hunt with.

ReplyQuote
RachelM
(@rachelm)
Reputable Member

I Just won an auction for a Savage Model 42 that's an over/under .22/410. I'll be taking it to the range on Friday, but I love the idea of having 2 in 1. I plan on keeping it in my trunk with my get home bag. If I had to hike it home, I have a route that would be partially through the city and partially through a trail along the old and new Welland canals. These areas are known to have coyotes and some dogs, as well as rabbits, doves, and other small and edible creatures. Assuming perfect conditions, Google Maps says I could get home in 3.5 hours. Knowing myself however, it would probably take longer. The Model 42 is lightweight as is the ammo for it. It came with a shell band as well so I won't be fumbling for shells in a backpack.

ReplyQuote
(@jensen)
Estimable Member

The SKS is a great starter firearm. It is cheap and the combo with the 1440 rounds is a preppers dream.

The 10/22 and the 12 gauge shotgun mentioned here are expensive compared to the SKS (the OP mentioned cheap...) and are for hunting applications (now you are assuming he is buying it for hunting and not sports shooting). Not all preppers hunt or have aspirations of hunting in a shtf situation. Some are preppers that live in urban environments who stockpile preps in order to survive without outside assistance in a shtf situation. The SKS would be a great firearm to retain what has been stockpiled in that situation.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Humbly disagree with SKS for starter. Bolt action Single or magazine shot is my recommendation for a new shooter. Learning gun safety and not getting careless with a semi is a life saver. 22 is ideal for cost, recoil... then maybe a higher powered rifle. You still have the 22 for small game, backup... learn and be comfortable with basics. Take a shot with a semi and wave that gun around with finger still on trigger isn’t to good for life expectancies.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I agree Clarence, although the built-in bayonnet of the SKS is fun... lol The .22 is the ideal round for the new shooter (bolt-action preferably). Less sound, less damage, inexpensive, uncomplicated and controllable. In a SHTF hunting situation it has its limitations. Snares can capture food without the expenditure of ammunition and sound. A .22/410 over and under is also nice for the new shooter, as they tend not to be excellent shots at first and the spread of a shotgun can be a great equilizer when it comes to marksmanship at short-range.

Requirements are sometimes different when you move from rural to urban. Often the later has its focus on defence rather than hunting.

As an assaulter, it's hard to beat a handgun inside buildings. Outside a shotgun (short range), M16/AR15 medium range and any number of long-range sniper rifles for distance threat neutralization.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wayne.... question for you or others.
Given how handguns are strictly limited in canada, what would be your recommendation for in house self defence?

9 mm rifle with convince of ten round clips or a 12 gauge with plug removed and bird shot?

Or other type and configuration?

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Clarence,

As far as home defence is concerned, I prefer the Glock or a Sig in 9mm for a number of reasons. The Governent restrictions are workable.

My second choice is a shotgun (if the collateral damage indoors isn't a deterent and there are no friendlies to worry about). There's a real psycological impact to the sound of cycling a round in a 12 Ga. pump.

If you use a firearm on a person, you must reasonably feel that your life (or anothers) is in immediate danger. Birdshot doesn't cut it use 00 Buck.

A rifle isn't the most efficent tool to be used inside without room clearing training and a team. Each weapon has its ideal operating envelope. If possible, you use the right tool for the job.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks wayne
Reason for consideration of bird shot is wider spread. Fully understand the lower punch but two bonuses. Wider spread and less penetration of surrounding walls.
Obviously all laws duly noted and respected. If one was wandering around the homestead in a theoretical shtf situation and a person popped up behind a wood pile and aimed a weapon at you, I think I would prefer the wider spread at 50 feet? If you only have a head and shoulders to hit and 00 pellet misses he is still up, 6 smaller pellets in the area may still hit an eye, throat... if only a few hit a shoulder, it still slows all but the toughest down so you have time to get better positioned for next shot?

Inside the house and 15 feet away, that birdshot will still bring buddy down when he aims a weapon ... in legal world at you

Your pro opinion? I am open to all concepts. All within the bounds of our laws and it’s all nothing but a theoretical conversation about something nobody will ever need be concerned about. Canadians are all law abiding citizens and a criminal would never have a gun because he would never be able to buy one. So everyone is safe πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I was hit with birdshot near the eye when I was 14. Caught a pellet from my cousin who was about 10 feet away shooting at a crow. I just made sure that I wasn't bleeding and went back to it. Like I said forget about the birdshot as a serious detractor.

Around the same time, my friend caught a bit of rock salt from a 12 Ga. He said it stung a whole lot, but managed to walk home (the farmer was ticked-off of us for borrowing his apples and tresspassing after he put up a ton of signs). Now-a-days it's a different world we live in... πŸ™‚

From a legal perspective, I think I'd rather shoot someone with 00 Buck. Afterall, if I really felt that my family's life was truly in danger why would I load birdshot??? πŸ™‚ Why was my family's life in danger? The Perps were armed. Why would I bring birdshot to a gun fight? LOL

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network