April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Suggestions for beginners - firearms

55 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wayne. Well there you have it.

Thank God I was never caught when stealing apples. Backside would trip a metal detector a hundred feet away 🙂

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Actully we were just borrowing them. We gave back the cores... 🙂 I don't think that the Farmer was that upset about the apples, but had a mean streak and just wanted to be left to his own devices.

My Dad told me not to be crying around him if I got shot. Serves you right. You should atay off people's property. You've got enough of your own to wander around...

Imagine shooting someone for tresspassing now-a-days. Even if it was just rock salt...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@gallowshumour)
Trusted Member

A couple of observations for new firearms owners:

Right after you buy a firearm and thoroughly read the user guide, take it to the range and test fire it to make sure it works. The last thing you want to do is put it in the safe until the SHTF (only to find out it doesn't work when you need it). I speak from experience not to trust it to work without testing:

• Bought a .45-70 Marlin lever-action and took it to the range. Right off the lever-action wouldn't feed; the cartridges kept hanging up between the lifting ramp and the chamber, causing jamming. Luckily, I always bring my tool kit with me to the range. After taking the action apart and putting it back together it worked perfectly. Haven't had a problem with it since.

• Bought a Marlin bolt action in .22 WMR. Took it to the range and found out the magazine was no good. The forward edge of the magazine feed ramp was hanging up the rounds and keeping them from going into the chamber. Had to buy a new mag, but it works now.

• The saddest story. Bought a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. Got too busy with other projects to take it to the range right away, and when I did find time to go to the range I had other, larger guns to fire. Besides, I have other .22LRs I could rely on, so dependence on this one .22 was not really an issue with me. As a result, it was over a year before I took it to the range. Guess what? A digital micrometer-measurement of the barrel shows that it was bored slightly off center at the factory (ever so slight eccentric toward the top of the barrel); that microscopic difference is what is causing every round to hang up on the edge of the barrel. The sad part is that the warranty is up, so the repair costs (new barrel) are on me.
  • Don't buy one of those massive cleaning kits with brushes and jags for all sorts of guns you don't yet own. Save your money and buy brushes, jags and cleaning rods as you need them for the firearms you own.

• Go to the dollar store hobby section and buy those clear plastic tubes little girls use for storing glitter in. Using an indelible marker or label-maker, mark the relevant caliber on the tube and store your bore brushes in them. The tubes usually have a plastic ring on their caps so you can hang them from a peg-board.

• Do the same thing for your jags using old pill bottles; use the dollar store tubes for longer jags.

• So they don't collect dust, keep your bore snakes in freezer bags with the caliber written on them.

•    
    ReplyQuote
    peppercorn
    (@peppercorn)
    Noble Member

A couple of observations for new firearms owners:

• Bought a Marlin bolt action in .22 WMR.
  • That was the first new rifle I ever bought, I think 82,83 ish time frame. Glass bedded that action, free floated the barrel, and gave it a trigger job that was crisp as glass. Shot it so much I either wore out the extractor claw or broke it from use, cant remember for sure which. I could put every shot on a quarter at 50 yards, and they would punch right through. ( note, thats not off center, its head shot 😀 )

Not bad (power wise ) for a rim fire, though I attribute the accuracy to that micro grove rifling rather than my efforts.

If I remember right past 50 yards there wasnt enough power to punch through a quarter. I also thought they changed the powder charge mid 80's as sometime in the mid 80's I could no longer punch through a quarter past 30ish yards.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
    (@anonymous)
    Illustrious Member

Here’s one I wish I had done.
    When I was happy with a firearm, I should have in retrospect purchased a second identical unit or at least some spare parts for them. So those starting out, if you like that 22... try and get another one or perhaps a Second and complete bolt Mechanism for it.

If you like a your new expensive rifle but can’t afford a second one, see if you can get a cheaper one in the same caliber, goal being to be able to buy fewer types of ammo.

Lots of opinions 😯 on best guns to have but if your starting out, I think a person can’t go to wrong with a 22 and a 12 gauge shotgun. A lot of meat has found its way onto tables with these two standbys. Lots of used ones around and even new, you can get some less expensive units. Cost and availability of ammo Is also something to keep in mind. God forbid you ever found yourself needing to break into a cottage while lost....you would stand a good chance of finding a box of 22 in some closet or kitchen pantry.

ReplyQuote
    (@gallowshumour)
    Trusted Member

My first two long guns were a .22LR and a 12GA; a Marlin Papoose, and a Remington 870 SPS Tactical. Still have them.

If I could keep only one of my .22LRs, though, it would be my Marlin XT-22TSR. Bolt action, with a tubular magazine, it'll feed .22 Short, .22 Long or .22 Long Rifle; magazine capacity is 25S, 19L or 17LR. It's like what they used to say about the Henry during the civil war, "It's a rifle that you could load on Sunday and shoot all week long."

Two guns remaining on my survival buy list are combo guns, the Baikal IZH-94 (Taiga) in .308 Win. over 3-in. 12 GA, and the TPS Arms M6 in either .22LR over .410, or .22WMR over .410. It'll probably be the 22WMR over .410, as I already have a Savage Model 42 Takedown in 22LR over .410. Unfortunately, neither gun is available in Canada right now. The Baikal because of the Russian embargo over the Crimea, and the M6 because TPS Arms told me they were concentrating on the American market right now. Sad, bigly sad.

ReplyQuote
    (@jimjonesinbc)

GTA=Greater Toronto Area

I to was in the forces, loved my FN C7 is a piece of crap, to lite and not easy to be accurate with

C7 has a diifernt battle thought behind it. As a ret CF member, res, reg, infantry, my thoughts are different from yours. The C7 was lacking not crap, the battle load went up substantially with the trade to 5.56. Later variants are much better. I shudder to think of the weight penalty in AFG if trying to carry equal loadouts.
    C7-A3s are great rifles as long as the user knows how to maintain and use it. I never failed to earn my marksman qual with on from introduction till retirement .

My thoughts for beginning shooters and users Semiautomatic .22lr. Ruger 10/22 most adaptable Shotgun 20 or 12g i prefer pump 870 Rem or 500 Mossberg and something in an intermediate size cartridge as a rifle. In a caliber the shooter can handle standing, this allows use for hunting. Many people go someplace and shoot supported but don't think about actually using it in field use.

ReplyQuote
    (@helicopilot)
    Member Moderator

GTA=Greater Toronto Area

I to was in the forces, loved my FN C7 is a piece of crap, to lite and not easy to be accurate with

C7 has a diifernt battle thought behind it. As a ret CF member, res, reg, infantry, my thoughts are different from yours. The C7 was lacking not crap, the battle load went up substantially with the trade to 5.56. Later variants are much better. I shudder to think of the weight penalty in AFG if trying to carry equal loadouts.
    C7-A3s are great rifles as long as the user knows how to maintain and use it. I never failed to earn my marksman qual with on from introduction till retirement .

My thoughts for beginning shooters and users Semiautomatic .22lr. Ruger 10/22 most adaptable Shotgun 20 or 12g i prefer pump 870 Rem or 500 Mossberg and something in an intermediate size cartridge as a rifle. In a caliber the shooter can handle standing, this allows use for hunting. Many people go someplace and shoot supported but don't think about actually using it in field use.

What he said!

As for the C7, I’m partial to the C8 (which I carried on 2 deployments) and also did marksman every year with it (scoped with ELCAN). I’m too “young” for the FN, but in modern days, I think think the current 5.56 is very mush the appropriate tool for the job.

ReplyQuote
    (@jimjonesinbc)

With the A-3 iteration the differences between the C-7 & C-8 are pretty minimal, barrel length is about it. First tour in Afg I had a C-7 A1 (Elcan) then on my last tour there the A-3 variant ( stock & hand guard). Just the collapsing butt made all the difference, When I was in the Patricias I allways got the techs to install the short butt which made it a more comfortable package. The big thing about the AR prohib OIC is the lack of clarity on the term VARIANT, thats why the Mossberg 715T got put on the list. Because Mossberg used an AR style collapsible butt, that means its a black clipizine death machine.

ReplyQuote
    (@scrounger)
    Honorable Member

One of the nifty things about the C7/C8 etc is they are actually made in Ontario. Used to be called Diemaco. Was bought out by Colt in 2005. Even during Colts shittiest days quality and financially wise in US, the Canadian arm was an is a profit center. Interesting to see what happens now that CZ has bought out Colt.

ReplyQuote
    Page 4 / 4
    Share:
    Canadian Preppers Network