April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

get all antibiotics from a Vet 2018 - law changes

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I may be slow to the party lol

As of December 1, 2018, all Medically Important Antimicrobials (MIAs) for veterinary use will be sold by prescription only. The responsible use of MIAs is intended to preserve their effectiveness and minimize the development and spread of antimicrobial resistance.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/antibiotic-antimicrobial-resistance/animals/actions/responsible-use-antimicrobials.html

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I’ve been looking into this for a while. Problem is the only place I’ve been able to find antibiotics has been UFA and the only sell if you have a registered PID. Having only a dozen backyard hens for personal use, I’m more than happy with not having a PID, that is, keeping the government away from my backyard. The small feed store I normally go to stopped carrying antibiotics a few months ago when the word came down.

I’d like to have a small stash just in case since calling in a vet $200 call, makes no sense to care for 10 hens....

ReplyQuote
(@dakota)
Estimable Member

I know this was more about animals but....I can well imagine the response this will get from some and prior to being blasted... This subject has been discussed by doctors already on other Prepper broadcasts. You can still get fish meds....amoxicillin, penicillin and other. It's already proven to work as it is proven to be the same medication people are issued.
I doubted it myself so approached my dad years ago. He was a military medic. He stated it was the same medicication but that you would need to know amounts based on dose/weight. Can't remember the show I saw that on but I'll look back see if I can find this info.
As far as the animal, DE and apple cider vinager are my two best treatments on the animals!!!
I use it on all my animals. Chicken coop and goat barn. Keeps them all healthy.

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I know this was more about animals but....I can well imagine the response this will get from some and prior to being blasted... This subject has been discussed by doctors already on other Prepper broadcasts. You can still get fish meds....amoxicillin, penicillin and other. It's already proven to work as it is proven to be the same medication people are issued.
I doubted it myself so approached my dad years ago. He was a military medic. He stated it was the same medicication but that you would need to know amounts based on dose/weight. Can't remember the show I saw that on but I'll look back see if I can find this info.
As far as the animal, DE and apple cider vinager are my two best treatments on the animals!!!
I use it on all my animals. Chicken coop and goat barn. Keeps them all healthy.

actually it was just to let people know that the law was changing

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Yes, its a sad state of a affairs and the stores all have the big signs up.. I can get around some of it, with a certain class holder here in Ontario, but in order to get that card, I need to be a member, in order to be a member I need to pay 365 dollars a year. That's pricy.. I do a lot of herbal meds as need for support etc.

I do have a stock pile with things good till 2020 or 2012 depending. a lot of the stores would not re-stock and other stores did lots of re-stocking πŸ™‚ There are a number of things that are going to be a issue..

Bottom line.. you are going to want to hunt down a old school farm vet on this one.. they only need to come once a year, meet all the livestock, see the farm.. "have a working relationship with you" and then you can do a work around depending on what you need. But they must come once, they must meet you, the farm and the critters.

What this means for a lot of smaller critters is that many of them will be put down rather then treated.. When its a 5 dollar chick or a ten dollar chicken or a 20 dollar rabbit.. cull will be the answer rather then cull.. this is going to be BAD in the end because most of the time now.. if they treat with basic's and it does not work.. then lots of folks will bring in the vet as the next stage, get the testing and find the answer. With the first "reasonable priced" removed, and cull being the answer (because to not cull means spreading issues) then we are going to have so many more unknowns.

I am not a fan of folks just using meds, I rarely need to do so.. but I am not happy to see it become vet only, I view it as just another way to try and stop the small backyard farmer from being.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network