April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Let's get a cook book made

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
16.7 K Views
(@nobshere)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Have'nt seen too many game prep posts or an organized form of recipes here yet. I'll bet there are some good ones. make your own catsup,mustard ,relish, tips for wild meat cooking that sort of stuff.

When in doubt think it out...(you thought I was gonna say something else?)

oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

I think I posted a few for squirrel and snake. Most of the recipes I believe can be found in the food board and the links board.

I like the cookbook idea 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

agree, the food, homestead, hunting etc sub- boards have threads on cooking, canning, butchering, curing, smoking, recipes etc

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@nobshere)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Come hunting season I was gonna post a video on dressing game on the spot .My son can skin and gut out a deer so fast it isnt funny ( kinda scary actually) but if we dedicate just one post for this sort of stuff then its easier to find ( damn theres my OCD kicking in)

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Sounds good, I self-butcher out sheep, goats, pigs, lambs, kids, plus the smaller critters on the farm, rabbits, geese, and all the other fowl etc.

It is amazing how fast you can skin out and break down a deer/sheep sized critter once you get good at it.. Look forward to your video..

ReplyQuote
(@nobshere)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks farmgal I think I'll also maybe show how to use an air compressor when skinning works slick on sheep ( I used to run 70-80 of them)

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

very interested, as long as it does not effect the hide in a negative way in regards to working it as a pelt or leather?

on a side but sheep/wool related note, I love being able to make the felted soap, it works great as a way to have a built in cloth, makes the soap last longer etc

ReplyQuote
(@nobshere)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No it actually separates the hide from the fat and most of the flank muscles, makes for less work scraping/cleaning. Yes the soap is great if you can, put some oatmeal in it , or a few mint leaves, rose petals, even a slice of apple for aroma orange peel I'm told ( never tried it) helps with the cleaning power, skies the limit wish I could live long enough to do everything LOL

ReplyQuote
(@lgsbrooks)
Honorable Member

I have to tell you....so many of you live a life and know so much more than I even hope to read about...boggles the mind and makes me feel like I haven't got a clue

ReplyQuote
(@nobshere)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

All's it takes is alittle practice, if you have agroup of friends who hunt or raise their own meat just ask to tag along and get your hands in there

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Hey everyone...
to get back to the OP, I love the idea of a prepper cook book!
I'm going to move this topic over to "preper projects" and see where it goes!

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I have to tell you....so many of you live a life and know so much more than I even hope to read about...boggles the mind and makes me feel like I haven't got a clue

All of us have so much to learn, it truly never ends, and you just take one project at a time and learn the basic's, then work it till you are able to figure out your own tweeks, and then just remember to work it at regular intervals, and you will keep those skills alive and going..

I am willing to bet money that if we had coffee and visit , that you would have tons of things to teach me 😀

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

So what happened to this cookbook idea? I too think it is a good idea. And the idea of making a book that would allow consideration to less than your average adequate kitchen is even better. There are already alot of cookbooks out there that cover every topic known, yet avoid the minimalistic approach.

When younger, we would devote a whole week to a hunt and stay in either a friends trapper shack, cabin or otherwise a tent, as this was predetermined by the allotted zone of the hunting tags. One also tends to only allow friends that you can tolerate for a week straight....and everyone takes their turn at cooking and thus stories are repeated for the duration of your life as to your abilities at preparing a meal from what crossed your path while scouting. Simple things like fillings have been lost due to chomping down on a BB that wasn't spotted when cleaning have led to a making it a miserable hunt which is finally cut short for all. Thus, even food preparation becomes a greater part than many might imagine.

I think covering skinning and tanning is a natural part of the process when acquiring items for the pot(some just shop with a rifle instead @ forest.com). I admire those who make the most of a kill by tanning the hide instead of just dumping it at the local dump. I still have deer skin shirts and moose jackets from my youth which no longer fit but I can't seem to toss yet. They are reminders of my youth and a thorn in the wife's butt as she still complains they smell of campfire smoke and are stained from tree sap (from carrying plenty of firewood).

Yes, a cookbook that is like no other would be a good thing! 😎

ReplyQuote
JackDee
(@jackdee)
Trusted Member

When I was a kid, my pop once taught me to cook something odd:
1. It was raining heavily, I was told to bring a bright bulb (not neon) I don't know why, maybe for the heat.
2. Not long, swarms of winged termites (alate) comes flying around the room.
3. I prepare some enamel wash bowls filled with boiling hot water.
4. The flyers start dropping into the bowls and most got their wings separated from their body and got boiled.
5. Start to eat some, I dont remember the taste but texture feels like the inside of a shrimp. Can also add some tabasco, salt, condiments, etc.

PS: Don't eat the wing.

I just tried again a week ago and I go ooompss (*vom*t*)
Also got some allergies after. Maybe because haven't eat that for a long time.
For me that's quite an adventure.

Bon appétit! 😉

Regret comes last, if it comes early its called registration!

In the end, only fellow preppers truly respects other preppers.
When nothing happens, the world will laugh at you.
When SHTF, what will happen when they found out you got supplies?

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)

Hello

Anyone interested in a cookbook is welcom to email me your recipies that you would like in it. I have a friend who works at a book binding place who would gladly put it together. My partner and i have already been doing many survival and camp foods As well as limited ingredient dishes lol once we had to put together a meal for 5 when there was nothing much around but cattails dandelions and a few little critters. Lol turned out pretty good actually lol. Hope to hear from you i love the cookbook idea.
Hope to recieve many recipes

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network