April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Electric Bike @ 4000km

17 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So, I have now hammered out 4000km on my electric bike. Used mostly in the spring, summer and fall, but some riding done in the winter, down to -15 -20 to see how it performed. I have to say riding in the winter at such temps is not enjoyable not at all, the -20 air just cuts through your clothing at 40kmhr but the bike performed just fine.
This bike was bought as a toy, a serious toy, a play thing, a exercise tool, a learning tool about how far small scale electric transit has come. Lots of reasons I bought it.
It has performed outstanding and I have learned all kinds of things about electric bikes in the 1.5 years I have had it. As it comes it is a fine bike, the fat tires just roll over everything, it comes from the factory putting out a few km per hr over the legal limit of 32km, the motor is under rated in my opinion at 500 watts. As is comes from the factory it absolutely puts that out in fact a couple hundred watts more, peak watts. I have found it to be a easy bike to dick with and milk more power out of it, in fact I have had the motor putting out as much as 1500 watts in bursts and I regularly run it at 1000 watts continuous without problems and at speeds of 45 km per hr. I have it performing like a low speed motor cycle. I have worked out the costs and even though I already have another fat bike frame and wheels, I could not build a bike from ordered parts, and even with my labour considered free, I just could not build a bike that would perform as well as this one does, for the price I paid for the bike (1800). The same bike now is $2050 I think. I have built all kinds of things for this bike, havnt done a trailer yet, but thats next.
Anyway, if you havent considered electric bikes before, think about getting one. I have found the performance to be outstanding, and if anyone is interested in the brand I bought, I can give you all kinds of tips on improving its performance. Once fall comes comes this bike will be parked up, but likely wont see many more km as I plan to buy myself another one next year to play with of the same brand (maybe a different model) because one is none and two is one.
Currently using 30+ amphr battery at 52 volts so thats roughly 60-75 km range at full power (40kmhr+), throttle only, much more if you pedal. If you drop your speed down to 25-32kmhr you should hit about 90 to 100 km range, throttle only, with maybe 150 km range (or more) possible if you pedal.
The most I have done in one ride is 50km, the bike is capable of much more on a full charge, I just dont like sitting on a bike seat for more than that.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Looks like I have to correct myself as I was estimating too conservatively previously. I just did a evening ride, my longest in a while. 49km total at a average speed of 39kmhr (computer records distance, peak speed, average etc ), I burned through exactly 3.5 volts of 17 volts available before the bike shuts down due to low volts. So for me, and with the amount I contribute + what the battery contributes (85-90% of it) This bike as I have it configured easily has a 200km range for me on a full charge, and even more if I back off on the speed.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Not as I had pictured it. Reminds me of a fold up style bike.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Its hard to get a idea of just how big this bike is but for scale the chain link fence is 4 feet high, the rear trunk box easily holds two gallons of milk, a carton of eggs, a loaf of bread and still has room for a rain jacket, tool kit and more. The outside diameter of those tires measure 29 inches. Panniers can be hung off the front rack, rear, or both. The only thing I need to add at this point is proper signal lights.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I now face a little problem with my bike. Not the performance of it, rather the legality. due to the changes I have made this bike can put out 1500 watts, and easily hits 48kmhr, throttle only, depending on how I have the switches set. Those 2 switches are 4 pole 3 position and depending how they are set I can select top speeds of 48kmhr, 45 kmhr, 42kmhr or 40kmhr.
All speeds much greater than the allowed 32kmhr for a electric bike. Doing speeds greater than 40 kmhr on a bike will at some point attract heat. I do not wish to face the type of fines that I could be hit with (many thousands).
So along with figuring out how to install signal lights I must figure out a way that if pulled over and my bike tested, it cant go over 32 without pedaling. I live so rural that I really dont ever think I will be pulled over for speed, but I just cant take the chance so I must figure out a disabling circuit that I can activate surreptitiously if pulled over. First world problems...

Edit, being rural, the roads are poor, I have hit bumps sometimes so bad that my feet have slipped off the pedals while my hands (both) were knocked off the handle bars, and the chain off the chain ring. The only thing that kept me on the seat was the seat post I have, otherwise I would have fallen from the bike, been bounced right off it. That seat post is called a long travel Thudbuster , The bike doesnt come with that. I think it was nearly a 200 dollar addition. best money you can spend for your ass. Its like ridding a 79 lincoln continental. If you ride bikes, and are old like me, your spine needs this type of seat post, it is incredible!. They have a short travel and long travel, get the long travel!

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have not looked at my odometer in a while but I must be getting close to 5000km now.
I thought I was done for near the end of tonights ride. Pitch dark, going 48kmhr on gravel, which was stupid enough to be doing, overdriving my head lights. When from the darkness of the ditch a moose charged straight towards me (90 degrees from the side) my bike must have spooked him as I closed in at that speed. I could just see his huge rack coming into my head lights as him and I closed in on each other. Nothing I could do, couldnt even turn fast on loose gravel at that speed, I just hung on and gave it throttle. At the last milli second this massive animal slowed from what I swear was a speed equal to my own and at the same time turned his head ever so slightly that I just passed by his rack. How his rack didnt clip my shoulder I dont know. I was braced for impact. I just dont need that much excitement.

Edit, I have been trying to figure out why he stopped. Even on my big bike he towered over me. I think as we closed he may have been blinded by my headlights.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just shy of 5000km, will hit that with a couple more rides and this is what my tire treads look like,

I would say the nubs are worn down by about 50%. I dont consider that bad at all, I am sure I can get 4000 more out of these tires before I will need to replace them.
The distance I have now gone on this bike in the 1.7 years I have owned it is the same distance as if I drove across America, Pacific ocean to Atlantic. I find that incredible.
These tires the bike came with were the cheapest at the time, same ones you could buy at Canadian tire for 65.00 dollars. These bikes, the brand I have, now come with a upgraded tire to these ones, still the kilometers I am getting on these is still impressive.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have made the decision to buy another Electric bike next year. It may be the same model, maybe another, but will most likely be a fat tire. So before I retire this bike and keep it for back up I decided to tune it up to near new condition. New tubes, new tires, new chain, tighten the spokes and true up the wheels, and because things change so fast and electronic parts become obsolete. I have ordered in a new controller and display to keep as spares. I dont need to keep a new motor in stock as these motors are so reliable, though I do have a new gear set for the motor should I wear out the original ones.

My chain had stretched by a little over 1.5 chain links in length over 5000 km of use, I should have replaced it sooner.
The old tires I am taking off I will keep and put studs on them for winter use.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Santa brought me a new seat for my electric bike. Just put it on and am heading out for a night ride. Because I have a suspension seat post I dont need a seat with suspension springs, I will likely remove those from the seat later. It is supposed to be a very comfortable seat, thick padding as can be seen in profile.

EDIT; A great night ride. On a Saturday evening during a 35+ km ride I could count all the cars I seen on two fingers. No one was out and about, the air warm and clean (+ 1 C I think). The seat worked well, no pressure points, I did not know that the seat covering was some type of no slip material. To adjust my seating I had to stand up and sit down again. The real test will be on longer rides of over 50 km.

I do all my own repairs to my bikes but one thing I have not done is build my own wheels from scratch. So this year I have decided to learn basic wheel building. Thanks to youtube a person can teach themselves most anything. I will order in some rims and spokes and see what I can put together.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I deleted some posts as better judgment tells me I should not post things about getting around registration classifications, least such things bite me in the ass legally at a future date. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZnNld6bxQ

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

60-70kph.... wow. I hope there are good brakes on that baby!

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have serious bike envy. This bike has just come out.. https://vamoosecycle.com/collections/mountain-gods/products/mammoth-awd
Worse yet is they are located right in Edmonton. I dont know how long I can go before having to go and view it. Two motors, front and rear. I know those motors and I can milk a steady 1000 plus watts out of each one no problem. I could turn that bike into a 2000 + watt beast easily, and still be technically legal. I think my green house may have to wait.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Two days, just two days before I could not wait any longer and had to go to the show room to look at the bike. This is going to my next bike, and I confirmed that it is technically still classified as a bike even though it has twice the wattage of a typical legal ebike, they get around the legalities by having a switch on the handle bars so you can switch off the front motor, with the disclaimer that both motors are to only be used off road (yea right)., But this is ok with Transport Canada as they have the mark of the beast on it that the cops will look for, so as a user your ass is covered.Take my money...

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Bike ordered. I wont have it until July as I am waiting for the latest frame style change, and that will be with the next container load they bring in.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network