April 19, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Propane, Shall I compare thee to a summers day

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I like propane, not for large area heating but for cooking and those on demand water heaters. These tanks I am stacking in the picture (total will be 12, 20s and 8 thirties) are all expired tanks I have got for free. This stack will total 400 pounds in this location and another 300 spread out in other spots on the property so I have 700 total.
My goal is 1000, so by next year, so long as people keep giving me expired tanks I should get there. I budget 100 pounds per year for cooking (usually under that), using my electronic ignition stove, (160-180 pounds if a pilot light stove, yes I have measured, have both), of course I use so little because for 6 months of the year I have a fire going and there is always a pot of water sitting on it so when I want to say boil potatoes I dont have to use gas to bring water to a boil, I have boiling water available right from the pot on the wood stove the gas just keeps it boiling the potatoes. If you cant get the tanks for free then its really not worth storing propane this way, buying tanks new would be really expensive! If you fill up at the typical gas stations, I think 20s are 20 dollars and 30s are 30 dollars right now, but filling up that way is expensive ( well not too bad I guess). If you are rural, ask around, ask the old timers using propane ( farmers) in your area on how you might get propane cheaper. I bet if you explore other options you can find it for 1/4 the price.

I should add that if your only experience using propane is with a gas Barbeque, you might think my numbers must be off. I can blow through a 20 pounder in a month easy on the Barbeque, most modern electronic ignition propane cooking stoves use very little propane by comparison.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Lee Enfield
(@lee-enfield)
Estimable Member

You must fill outdated cylinders yourself or you "know someone" at the local vaporizer.

I have a couple of full but outdated cylinders that I don't use in the rotation of the in-date tanks. I was told by a guy that I buy the odd refurbished cylinder from that the reason for the 10-year dating is because the relief on the valve will go bad a some point and release all of the propane. Have you had this happen?

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

"The man who has a garden and a library has everything." - Cicero

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You must fill outdated cylinders yourself or you "know someone" at the local vaporizer.
am not wo
I have a couple of full but outdated cylinders that I don't use in the rotation of the in-date tanks. I was told by a guy that I buy the odd refurbished cylinder from that the reason for the 10-year dating is because the relief on the valve will go bad a some point and release all of the propane. Have you had this happen?

Never had it happen, never heard of anyone I know having that happen, wouldnt matter if a vent did blow on me as I store them outside and 300 feet or so from the house. I actual have some really old 100 pounders one has a date code stamped 1942, full of propane and no leaks. I am not worried about it.

To answer your first question, yes to both methods.

I really do consider propane when stored this way a Ideal energy source to have on hand.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network