May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

-40C and you're without Electricity, What would you Prep?

24 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
N8tureboy
(@n8tureboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, we're faced with a different scenario here in Labrador, and other northern areas. Weather's been -40C now for a few days, and I'm wondering what everyone else has done to prepare for a extended power outage at these cold temps?

Coming at ya from the Coldlands of Canada

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

We just had a wicked cold snap in the Prairies too... So, a big honking generator, tons of fuel, a few electrical portable heaters, a kerosene heater and kerosene lamps with a few gallons ok kerosene. Bring it on!

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

Just blankets pretty much. Provided civilization hasn't ended, I can't think of much reason to need anything else. Maybe a radio with a pack of batteries.

ReplyQuote
N8tureboy
(@n8tureboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been getting things ready, Bought a Dish Heater, low wattage for a large space, the Generator (6500W) can't run the baseboard heaters in the house. (Maybe a bigger one in the future) I'm also in the process of installing a fireplace, for Cooking and Heat. Propane stove, and loads of propane. Loads of blankets, it an easy answer, but not always practical. Someone commented about the Higher calorie intake during cold periods. That's something i hadn't considered. Adding that to the plan. 4 Dogs, that need to be fed and kept warm as well.
Alot to think about.

Coming at ya from the Coldlands of Canada

ReplyQuote
(@livingpower)
Reputable Member

Just blankets pretty much. Provided civilization hasn't ended, I can't think of much reason to need anything else. Maybe a radio with a pack of batteries.

During the ice storm that hit southern ON through the east coast last December, thousands of people lost power. This was during an extended cold snap and some people were without electricity for close to two weeks. Even if civilization hasn't fallen, thought should be given to preparing more than just blankets.

ReplyQuote
(@captain_ambiguous)
Estimable Member

During the ice storm that hit southern ON through the east coast last December, thousands of people lost power. This was during an extended cold snap and some people were without electricity for close to two weeks. Even if civilization hasn't fallen, thought should be given to preparing more than just blankets.

I endured something similar in the 90s, back in Newfoundland. Don't recall anyone dying. We weren't even that uncomfortable. In most cases a blackout is just a blackout. So yeah...blankets.

Now if we're talking electromagnetic pulse that takes out power EVERYWHERE, including the food packaging plants and distribution network, well yeah that's a disaster. If such an event came during a cold snap then you'd want plenty of warm jackets, boots, gloves, hats, etc. I'm in the process of gathering more of those. Everything else is just general prepping, IE cooking stove, hunting rifle, and so on.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Someone commented about the Higher calorie intake during cold periods. That's something i hadn't considered. Adding that to the plan. 4 Dogs, that need to be fed and kept warm as well.
Alot to think about.

Doggie calorie and fat needs go up in cold wx, too. You mentioned that you're looking into long term solutions, and mine for the pets revolves heavily around eggs - whole egg powder for the condensed serving portion and longest storage time and scrambled egg mix for slightly higher calories and protein but also a heaping ton more sodium and cholesterol. You can just mix it up in anything damp or wet; you don't have to add all the required water or cook it for them because it's all been pasteurized.

The dogs eat raw and cooked fresh eggs on a regular basis at the moment and I mix in less expensive boxed versions here and there to keep them tuned for a need to eat it later. The cat has some dried and canned fish and some freeze-dried fish and chicken to make her eggs and oats and yams a little more appealing if she needs it, but I keep in a couple cases of canned cat food. Kibble is good for a few months, but it's just not space efficient for me to store and they all get human food supplementing their diets anyway. I make homemade dog food, so even close to expiration, it'll get used.

It's nice of you to share your home with four money pits and I always love hearing that they're part of an emergency plan. The good news is, if they get along at all, you have built in space heaters for a tent or that sectioned off mattress for as long as you can feed them. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@lgsbrooks)
Honorable Member

I would get out all the hot water bottles for bedtime, I would make sure a tent was in the living room to sleep in & be in when too cold in other( blocked of) rooms, I would make sure the portable toilets were ready for if needed, kerosene heater/kerosene, solar oven & other cooking methods at the ready, long underwear & warm clothing etc

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

I have a wood cookstove to keep us warm and cook our food = lots of firewood. I try to have 2 years worth.
It took me 20 years to get to that point (after the 1998 Ice Storm). But I always had a wood stove here.
Cold is a killer.

ReplyQuote
(@bradleyman)

This happened to us a few years ago when my wife and I were taking our EMS course in another town about 40 km away so we bought a 7500 watt generator and wired it into our house so we could manually change over our essential electrical needs by unplugging them from our panel then into the labelled cords from the generator....viola power for our furnace fan and septic pump,fridge,an outlet in the kitchen for coffee maker/toaster oven,and some power to our living-room. We later had a 3 day outage the next year and we did quite well in -48 degree with wind chills at -75. Our home is super insulated so that helps a great deal.

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

This is CANADA, dude. Not Florida. Not California. Its a no brainer. You MUST have a wood stove....even in a city. Even in an apartment. Even if you must smash out a window or bricks to run a stove pipe out of it....you must have a back up woodstove. You live in NF. This is not an option. I have a friend that lived up north. When the power went out, they had to make plans to evacuate the entire city. No shit. Forget the techno fixes. Hypothermia kills faster than starvation or dehydration.

Here is a worst case scenario. Set up your dome tent in your house. Humans throw a lot of BTUs in a small space. Toss blankets or carpets over it. Pull your mattress inside for bottom insolation. Do a fire outside to heat water for a water bottle like lgsbrooks says or any water container. A heated boulder is even better. It retains heat better than water. Heated sand in a pot will do....and put it in your bed with lots of covers. Don't dis the blankets. Have cupboards full of them. I have one wrapped around me as I speak. Ived lived through three alberta winters in a van with no propane, under a foot of blankets with candles to burn off the condensation. You need blankets under you as well. It sucks to live that way but it can be done. My badly insulated house is heated entirely with wood. Its still cold. I cant say enough about hoodies. That's all I got.

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

Wood stove in the basement.
I can drain the water pipes and abandon the upper floors if need be and can do with a few solar lights to ward off the darkness but at least we would be warm and dry with the guns and stored food close at hand.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I'm with C5...
I also heat with wood and ya, it can get chilly at times, especially in the morning.
Warm clothing is a must...don't expect to walk around the house in your underwear.
Long johns, flanel shirts, and hoodies rule!
In the winter, we also use a lot of blankets.
They get pulled out of storage just before heating season and there is at least on draped over every seating spot in the living room and extras on all the beds.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is slippers...keeping your feet warm goes a long way to feeling comfortable.

ReplyQuote
(@livingpower)
Reputable Member

I endured something similar in the 90s, back in Newfoundland. Don't recall anyone dying. We weren't even that uncomfortable. In most cases a blackout is just a blackout. So yeah...blankets.

Now if we're talking electromagnetic pulse that takes out power EVERYWHERE, including the food packaging plants and distribution network, well yeah that's a disaster. If such an event came during a cold snap then you'd want plenty of warm jackets, boots, gloves, hats, etc. I'm in the process of gathering more of those. Everything else is just general prepping, IE cooking stove, hunting rifle, and so on.

I disagree entirely. Like C5 says, this is Canada. If you don't have a source of heat for a week in frigid temps, you will suffer. You do not need an EMP or something permanent to freeze to death. There were people in the GTA in December who died trying to keep warm because they weren't set up properly and did not have the required knowledge. It is imperative to have a backup and I agree that wood is the way to go. All suggestions of blankets, warm clothes, long underwear, slippers, and closing off sections of the house are also essential.

ReplyQuote
cernunnos5
(@cernunnos5)
Noble Member

AMEN. SHTF Tactical Slippers. Ive been looking for a set with Bunny Ears for a few years now. Nothing will scare the crap out of looters more than Me in Bunny Slippers.

I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network