May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Great Water Solution for Well

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I live on two acres of land. Water is supplied by a submersible pump in a 100 foot deep drilled well on my property. When the power goes out, I need a solution.

I looked at many different possibilities that included water storage, rain water collection, an on-site hand pump at the well head and even a distillation unit for sea water. The solution I settled on was an Excelsior E2 Hand Pump. Although I have a drilled well, the water level is 10 feet below ground. The Excelsior E-2 has a suction capability of 7M (22 feet).

Basically it works like this. The pump is installed on the wall. A bypass is installed between the supply line and the pressure tank. Another line ties the hand pump into the pressure line. If the power fails, the pump is operated to supply up to 35 psi of water pressure in the pressure tank. At this point, approximately 30 gallons of fresh water is available to any tap in the house.

The pump is capable of pumping 6.5 G.P.M (30 L.P.M.) at 55 double strokes per minute. Five minutes of pumping is sufficient to recharge another 30 gallons of water to the system.

In the case of power failure, all the water that's needed can be delivered without leaving the house. A solution that works well for me, especially considering the harsh weather that Nova Scotia can receive in the winter months.

A more detailed description is found by accessing this video:

https://www.practicalpreppers.com/about-us/product-reviews/item/200-excelsior-hand-pump

The cost of the pump is $450 plus tax and shipping. Including one-way valves, pipe and fittings, the total solution cost around $650.00 Installation took about one hour. The pump comes with instructions for this installation. I hope that some will find this helpful.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member

What did you happen to find in the way of distillation units for sea water?

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What did you happen to find in the way of distillation units for sea water?

I looked at various 'Survival Stills' that cost from $300-$400. These are portable units and require quite a bit of time to yield sufficient quantities of drinking water. Larger units with far greater capabilities are available, but the only ones I found required power.

When compared to the near immediate access to unlimited quantities of clean well water with no power needed and accessible with minimal effort, there was in my-mind no comparison. This is especially true when you consider the volume of heat required for the distillation process (use of resources) and the time and labor involved for such a minimal return.

ReplyQuote
CanCricket
(@cancricket)
Trusted Member

That's what I found too, when I looked into survival stills. I'm still trying to decide if it's a worthwhile investment or not, being as they're not cheap. Being in the middle of a city, surrounded by sea water, it would be a good option if the SHTF, but they still require a heat source to operate them and, like you say, they don't yield a huge return considering the outlay of time and energy.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

If I was in a city (without a well and manual water pump), I would definitely consider the purchase of one. You are however blessed with huge forests and an adequate supply of lakes (Strathcona Park for example), so fresh water is available to those who bug-out, Obviously the city presents it's challenges in gaining ample amounts of water and fuel.

ReplyQuote
(@term0shad)
Estimable Member

City if shtf. Hot water tanks. You can drain them dry. As for salt water. I would just build a sun distiller not sure if they would work in winter. Here in alberta. But have used to purifie water from lakes and rivers in summer to drink. Few of them would keep up for 1 person. At least no noise and no power needed. Plus a ton of different ways to do salt water. But most take fuel or power. But simple to build if need be. Funny won't let me add a picture or a basic design.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Unless I missed it in some of the responses, don’t overlook a gas, diesel or propane powered generator. If you are out of water for longer then a 100 lib tank of propane can keep a gen running for only the very essentials, then one better have a plan to leave that area and go elsewhere because your going to be up shit creek without a paddle on many other fronts as well.

Don’t forget eaves troths. It rains or snows in canada just about every third day so lots of water going down those nice pipes. Sanitation or treat for consumption

ReplyQuote
westshield
(@westshield)
Trusted Member

I'm so glad I came across this post. I've been wondering for a bit about how to add a manual pump to my system.

I do as well have two open wells on my property too. I just need to build a roof over it yet and put a hand pump on it as well.

There are more people prepared for a zombie apocalypse than a week without electricity.

To fix that check out www.westshieldoutpost.ca

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

West Shield,

This is the #1 Prep that I'm proud off. I have unlimited water available and delivered to the pressure system in my house. It does however involve a bit of work. Five minutes of pumping equals a 5 minute shower, a sink worth of dishes and three flushes of a toilet. No need to store water, as an unlimited supply is available. Pretty cool. All delivered inside the house without the need to brave the elements, or freeze your ass off and having to bucket water into the house. No one has a clue that I have water; no pump sticks out of the ground and no generator needs to run... 🙂

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Double post; sorry.

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

My solution is a cistern.
Right now, I use a generator to run my well and fill my 500 gallon cistern. The cistern is right beside the wellhead, on a hill and is a few meters higher than the roof of my cabin. There is a 3 inch water line about 300 feet long that reduces to 3/4 inch into the cabin. My plan is to eventually install a deep well solar pump tied to a float switch and have a hand pump back-up. I haven't gotten there yet, but it's in my future plans.

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My solution is a cistern.
Right now, I use a generator to run my well and fill my 500 gallon cistern. The cistern is right beside the wellhead, on a hill and is a few meters higher than the roof of my cabin. There is a 3 inch water line about 300 feet long that reduces to 3/4 inch into the cabin. My plan is to eventually install a deep well solar pump tied to a float switch and have a hand pump back-up. I haven't gotten there yet, but it's in my future plans.

Assuming everything isn’t well below frost level, what do you do for freezing? Sounds like a real nice setup with good pressure

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

Actually, the cistern and waterline are 8 ft. deep. I haven't yet had a problem with freezing. That's not to say it can't happen. It just hasn't happened yet.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like a good plan. It surprizes me that the majority of people that are using a well don't have a back-up plan to get water when the power goes out...

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

Sounds like a good plan. It surprizes me that the majority of people that are using a well don't have a back-up plan to get water when the power goes out...

With water being fairly high up the list on the rule of 3's, I thought it would be in my best interests to have a couple of back-up plans.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network