May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Emergency Car Kit - Water freezing in winter

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@prepper51)
Topic starter  

Sorry, I posted before on the wrong page.
I'm new to prepping and am wondering what people do for water in a car emergency kit in the winter. I know that plastic water bottles freeze, then bulge. I'm a bit concerned that with the freeze thaw cycle, I could end up with water in the bag with other supplies if the water bottle breaks.

oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member

Hello and welcome to the group.

I just take a go bag with things that can freeze back & forth. However I have been told that water pouches are freezable.

http://www.bridensolutions.ca/datrex-emergency-drinking-water-sachet-125-ml

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Hi and welcome!

Challenges of Canadian living... Perhaps not ideal and convenient as water bottles in you bag, I have an empty (and cleaned) large apple juice plastic bottle (2 or 3 liters?) that I keep a little over half full in the trunk of the vehicles. Change it every month or so. It stays up right wedge between other things and so far, I didn't have any leakage issue. Cheaper than packaged water.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Helicopilot is correct, fill 2/4 full, stand upright and you should be fine , change out a few times in the winter.
Www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Fill 3/4 full. Sorry for typo

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Sorry, I posted before on the wrong page.
I'm new to prepping and am wondering what people do for water in a car emergency kit in the winter. I know that plastic water bottles freeze, then bulge. I'm a bit concerned that with the freeze thaw cycle, I could end up with water in the bag with other supplies if the water bottle breaks.

The 3/4 ill requirement will allow for the necessary expansion of the freezing process, so freezing/thawing/refreezing shouldn't be a problem. Consideration should be given to the material of the bottle itself. Metal (for example) might transfer a disagreeable taste to the water, but it can be placed on a heat-source (engine) to melt. Having inaccessible frozen water isn't going to do anyone any good. Efficiency is a great benefit in a survival situation. Choose your kit carefully.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network