May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Precious metals

39 Posts
15 Users
0 Reactions
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wondering if anyone know of where I can get gold coins and bars and silver to buy

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Duffman,

I believe Traveller had a thread on here somewhere about buy silver.

If you are not particular, visit the Canadian Mint or their website. They ship via Canada Post. Their silver coins are recognized worldwide as a superior product. The Maple Leaf, the 1 ounce gold coins are a standard that may countries try to achieve. They also have a 1/10 ounce gold coin. I was at the Mint this summer and they have plenty of gold, if you can afford it.

Poke around you may find the other thread.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@cares)
Reputable Member

Just make sure you get it from a reputable place, it was reported on the news in Australia a few days ago that there are fake gold and silver bars etc coming into Australia from China and I imagine it would be the same elsewhere.
I have only ever purchased from the Perth Mint and am unsure of reputable places overseas but always purchase with care.

This is an article about the fakes found in Australia...
http://www.silverdoctors.com/300-fake-perth-mint-gold-bars-discovered-in-australia-as-chinese-gold-forgery-factory-uncovered/

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sweet thanks

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

1 oz coins are not yet worth counterfeiting. Large bars can be drilled and "slugged". Stick with well known ones. Maple Leafs, Eagles, Philharmonics. In Canada, Border Gold or Kitco are reputable but shipping insurance is expensive. Check prices at the big guys and try to find a local bullion dealer to save shipping.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What about diverse equities in Calgary anyone know about them

ReplyQuote
(@joy29not)
Estimable Member

I went to two shops in edmonton, today but all they have is one oz- and higher and some boulion, but I'd like to get some 1/10 coins. I got cash out to buy without using my name, so am looking to spend it-lol

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Duffman,

Here is a current link to the Royal Canadian Mint:

http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/maple-leaf-forever-fine-silver-10-coin-2012-prod1300005?sp_rid=NjU2MDYyNjA2NAS2&sp_mid=4940645&spMailingID=4940645&spUserID=NjU2MDYyNjA2NAS2&spJobID=56387341&spReportId=NTYzODczNDAS1#.UIlWhGfbR9Y

Gold and silver coins, if you look I am sure bullion and bars are there too.

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@coinzero)
Trusted Member

dear Duffmanprepper
I have bought a lot of coin for the Canadian mint, as I was heavy into collecting, but for bars I would recommend you try http://www.scotiamocatta.com/products/bar_silver.htm I have two bars from them and all you do is walk in and ask. Sometime they have them there to buy that day for straight cash at market value plus a buck or so for a bar fee. Bar fee is standard and is applied to all gold and silver bars regardless of where you buy them, this is why the larger the bar you buy the less you pay in the long run. a 1oz bar will have the same bar fee as a 100oz bar, so keep that in mind. To profit go with the largest amount of bar you can get in this case a 100 oz. They also have each bar stamped with a serial number for tracking purposes, but this doesn't do to much good if your thief melts it down before getting caught. If they don't have bars at that moment in time, or you want a larger amount they will order them in for you. But you may need to open an account. Not an issue as they have accounts that if you only use just for buying silver and gold they fee's will be nothing or very little. I would never consider buying from ne where else, especially online auctions or ne thing like that. Fear the fakes when it's soooo easy to buy for the mint or bank. hope this has helped.

Never underestimate the power of free! If someone has deemed something valueless, yet U see value in it; Then you've already made a profit and savings!

ReplyQuote
(@coinzero)
Trusted Member

scotia bank is also a bit cheaper then the mint. This is due to the fact that at the bank you are just buying the rounds and bars as an investment that you get to hold onto in your own hand or home, don't get me wrong still the 99.9999% stuff the mint has. But at the mint, you will pay a lot more for the same amount of gold or silver but this is due to the fact that you are buying a quality collectible piece. I suggest getting from both sources and this is why. In the last 10 years the mint products of collector grade coins in gold and silver have gained a lot of value! I mean a lot! But on the other hand if the world does fall apart no one will be collecting any more and these items may become valued only at there weight of metal. In which case you'll lose and be melting coins that you shouldn't and it's good to have the weight metal bars from the scotia bank for this purpose! If and when the world gets back on it's feet, you should be holding a few very rare pieces from the old mint that everyone else would have melted down! setting you up for a big pay day in the future! cheers buddy! oh and one final thought on the scotia bank way. It makes it a lot easier to sell in the future if you want to, they will also buy back bars that they have sold you at the new market value! woot woot, can't go wrong with an easy platform like that!

almost live quotes of gold and silver prices can be viewed free at
http://www.24hgold.com/english/gold_silver_prices_charts.aspx?money=Loonie&p=argent

Never underestimate the power of free! If someone has deemed something valueless, yet U see value in it; Then you've already made a profit and savings!

ReplyQuote
(@srdprep)

What about diverse equities in Calgary anyone know about them

they're good, but they do have a policy of asking for your phone number.

It might be a good idea to have a phone number that isn't connected to you, before you contact them.

ReplyQuote
(@faraday)
Estimable Member

I like the Mint as well, especially when they do the promotions of $20 for $20. Here's a link,
http://www.mint.ca/store/product/product_exchange.jsp?itemId=prod1040001
but the promotions sell out quickly and there's a limit of 3 per household. It seems to be the best deal there is as it's almost pure silver, only $20 for a $20 Canadian silver coin. Sometimes there's an extra bonus code for free shipping too, and it ends up being exactly $20 for $20, even shipped to your door.

If your home library contains more volumes about survival-related topics than your local public library, you might be a prepper.

ReplyQuote
(@ladyboomer)
Trusted Member

I have been using www.silvergoldbull.com in calgary...I just ordered online, can talk to someone if you want. Delivers to my door in a few days. Have the smaller coins. Easy Easy

ReplyQuote
(@salix)
Trusted Member

I like the Mint as well, especially when they do the promotions of $20 for $20. Here's a link,
http://www.mint.ca/store/product/produc ... rod1040001
but the promotions sell out quickly and there's a limit of 3 per household. It seems to be the best deal there is as it's almost pure silver, only $20 for a $20 Canadian silver coin. Sometimes there's an extra bonus code for free shipping too, and it ends up being exactly $20 for $20, even shipped to your door.

While it's true those coins from the mint will 'always be worth $20', there are a few caveats about them.

1. They will always be worth $20, but what will $20 be worth? If you are buying metals to hedge against inflation, we expect $20 to have far less buying power in the future; and most importantly...

2. If you look at the technical specifications, the $20 silver coins from the mint have less than 8 grams of silver in them, which is about a third of an ounce. You are paying over $2 per gram, which is over double the spot price of silver. So in pure silver price, you are not getting your money's worth at current spot prices.

Now, to offset that, I know there is definitely some collectible value to them, and they are a reasonable buy for that alone. If you asked if I would rather have a twenty dollar bill in my pocket or a twenty dollar silver coin, I would take the silver every time. I just want the newbies to know what they are getting into, and that with prices where they are now (about $32/oz) bullion is a better buy per gram.

ReplyQuote
(@faraday)
Estimable Member

Good to know, it looks like I have a little more research to do myself.
Thanks for pointing that out.

If your home library contains more volumes about survival-related topics than your local public library, you might be a prepper.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network