May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Snow travel?

30 Posts
16 Users
0 Reactions
 BBB
(@bbb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

With this recent snow I'm reminded how dependent I am on snow ploughs and four wheel drive. I have decided to invest in some kind of human propulsion; the question is cross country skis, snow shoes or mountain bike with studded tires ? I'm open to suggestions... whats better for hunting?

"Beets, Blacksmithing, Bow hunting"

(@rabbitteeth)
Estimable Member

How deep of snow are we talking about? Under 2-3 inches? Deeper 8 inch snow drifts? Also, what distances are you considering?

I bike/run to work all year round, and I would personally remove the mountain bike off your list. Studded bike tires work best on black ice, and they aren't very effective in more than 4 inches of snow because the studs won't be able to reach the ground. If you are talking about doing any kind of bug-out, a mountain bike will work but not in deep snow.

When I do winter camping 15-20km into the backcountry, I usually hike it with Sorel's, and I have lightweight snow shoes for the times when the snow is over 2 ft deep. In instances where I have to do any vertical, I bring my crampons too. I don't like crosscountry skis when I am carrying a 50+ lb backpack.

For hunting, I'd still hoof it. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Cross country skis can be great for covering distance on a trail, but suck in deep snow...I know this because I used to race...back when I still had dark hair.
Another thing to keep in mind about skiing is that you have to use different wax on the skis depending on snow conditions, temperature, etc. and if you get the wrong one on, the snow sticks to them and really bogs you down.
I think a good pair of boots with a removable wool lining like the good old Canadian Military Mukluks, along with a pair of snow shoes is the way to go. Don't be fooled though, show shoes are not like walking...you're gonna want to practice.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmanprepper)
Prominent Member

What about a dog sled team lol just sayin it would look cool seeing you fly down the road going to work

Preparedness is like a condom , I've rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

ReplyQuote
(@salix)
Trusted Member

Depends on your preference, terrain you are in and what you are doing.
In mountains I ski, because walking downhill on snowshoes is harder and slower than gliding on skis.
Flat terrain I walk, because even on the prairies snow is rarely deep enough to merit snowshoes.
A good compromise might be "light touring" ski gear, with skins. Kind of like beefy cross country skis with metal edges and more solid bindings. Otherwise you cant go wrong with snowshoes, and they are cheaper to get into.
For hunting I walk, but keep a homemade sled (pulk) in the vehicle for dragging. You used to be able to find plans online. You can make them with a kids sled, or a rollable one out of a crazy carpet. I can drag 120lbs or more on a pulk if the snow is good-a lot more than I can carry on my back! You can buy them new but they are expensive. Just a thought.
Other choices could be snowshoes, telemark skiing, alpine touring (AT) skiing, nordic crosscountry skiing (you can get waxless skis), and probably a few more I have never tried. You can get yaktrax or other studded soles for your everyday boots for walking on ice-the velcro kind are better than the stretch-on kind, as the stretch on kind keep falling off in my experience.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

BBB,

Good question, but you didn't give much information to work with. So, I will post a few question back at you and then make some assumptions. Hope you don't mind.

1) Urban environment? Prairie Rural?? Foothills Rural?? Mountain?? Woodlands??

2) Plan to cross water?? Flowing water or static water?? (rivers, streams, creeks, lakes, ponds, sloughs, dugouts)

3) Carrying gear?? How much??

4) What is your experience level in any of the forms of transport you mentioned - mtn bike, x-c skis or snowshoeing??

5) Would you consider other methods??

6) Do you plan to cross fences??

7) How far do you need to travel everyday??

8) Do you already have any of the gear or will you need to purchase/trade for a set-up??

9) Will you use a toboggan for hauling gear behind you, instead of or in addition to, the gear on your back??

10) What type of snow do you expect to be traveling in??

I have used skis and snowshoes. Used my mtn bike in Cowtown early one spring, not pleasant. So, I would say ditch the bike idea for winter travel. Just my opinion.

Skis or shoes. I like winter pursuits that allow my skis, even in deep snow skis break a smaller trail than post-holing with snowshoes. Soft, dry powder snow does not float snowshoes well. Eastern and Central Canada get a different snow than the Eastern Slopes of the Rockies. They get year round what we get in late spring. However, if we are getting a driving snow, that is packed by the wind, skis or snowshoes will travel on top, so long as you can travel on the windward side. Skiing is less exhausting if you get the odd slope to glide down. So, you can travel on open prairie maybe 50km's a day. Snowshoe maybe half that. In the foothills, if you are in shape and have the balance, you will be able to cover maybe 30 - 40 km's a day on skis, maybe half that on snowshoes. But that will be distance traveled not necessarily in a straight line. To conserve energy you will want to contour the hills not go straight up and straight down. Again, just my opinion.

One of the big pluses for snowshoes over x-c skis is the boots. If I could get a pair of the Finnish or Swedish army boots that fit the 3 pin Nordic bindings, it may be different. So, based on boots. I would suggest snowshoes, because you can wear then with your Baffin's or Sorel's. Only one winter boot not two or more. Just get an extra set of liners, so one can be drying while one is being worn.

Get ski poles. At the very least get one ski pole. At least shoulder height or adjustable. When you are in snowshoes, with a pack on your back, your centre of balance is different than normal. The ski poles help keep you from tipping over into the snow.

Snowshoes. The best place and price on snowshoes I have seen is from The Sportsman's Guide dot com. They sell the Canadian military magnesium framed snowshoe with basic harness from $29.95 US per pair. You have to monitor their website for the price moves up and down. Wholesale Sports in Calgary sells the same snowshoes for $169.00 without the bindings. With shipping the price basically doubles to about $60. If our dollar is above par, that is the best time to buy.

As for hunting, strap your skis or snowshoes to the outside of your pack, until you need them. Wear 'em when you need 'em. Otherwise, keep 'em on your pack.

I will post this before the computer gods eat another one of my postings.

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

I've got both skis and several pairs of snow shoes. For your money, or lack there of, I recommend the snow shoe route. Reason #1 is the winter boots you are wearing on top of them. #2, easier maintenance and repair on the trail in case of equipment malfunction. #3, I've got one pair of snow shoes that were home made by a Newfoundlander fisherman using heavy duty fishing line, neoprene, wire, and hockey tape. - these shoes work as well or better than the technical shoes in certain conditions. #4, shoeing is slower - which in the back country is actually better because one has time and inclination to check snow pack for hazards. And #5, good skis are still useless without the right wax whereas when you run out of snow you can just take the snow shoes off and will still have your boots. Bonus reason... (You can use a snow shoe as a shovel as well to dig yourself out of a tree well 😳 )

That is not to say that x-country skis don't have their benefits. We do both over the winter and I'm buying skate skis this winter to expand my repetoire. I personally think that the more you do to embrace winter the better. If it is going to be up to seven months of your reality, you had might as well make the best of it. Get a good tobagan too.

Cheers,

Antsy

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
(@joy29not)
Estimable Member

I agree with the snow shoes being the best all round -and with a tobagan even better. One thing not mentioned is that you can outfit your family with snow-shoes and no worries of them outgrowing ski boots. Of course, as kids become teens you need to get them larger ones, but they are good for a few years. Garage sales are a good way to get them for cheap.

ReplyQuote
 BBB
(@bbb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the good info... Where can you get a non plastic toboggan?

"Beets, Blacksmithing, Bow hunting"

ReplyQuote
Antsy
(@antsy)
Reputable Member

@ BBB

mastodoninc.com you will find hand made wooden toboggans made here in Calgary.

Needs must when the devil drives.

ReplyQuote
ScottyRE
(@scottyre)
Estimable Member

I'm a yr round cyclist that uses studs... Shallow fluffy snow is fine. Deep stuff is bad. BikeBike on 17th sells those huge tire Surly's that they ride in the arctic but avg around $1600 each. Talk to Sean, owner and good friend. He also sells those wooden sleighs each winter FYI. My experience with winter travel so far tells me snow shoes are the way to go definitely.

No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each day thankful because someone somewhere else right now is fighting for theirs

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for all the good info... Where can you get a non plastic toboggan?

BBB,

Build one. There must be some old issues of Popular Mechanics online somewhere with old sled patterns. Seek and ye shall find.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
(@dangphool)
Prominent Member

we use the plastic toboggans for hunting this year.

two of us pulled a moose on one (600lbs or so) far enough to reach the rope tied to the truck. This was with the head and shoulders in the sled and the legs and ass hanging out. Sliding across shallow snow was relatively easy.

http://www.ufa.com/products/product.html?open&/search?q=calf%20sled

http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-otter-sled

The otter sled for ice fishing is more expensive but also more durable.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I bought a plastic sled at Canadian Tire last winter, only used it once as it was late in the season and on sale.
This week I saw some wooden sleds at Canadian Tire.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

BBB,

If, and this is a big if, you plan to use x-c skis, it may be worth the effort to get a second pair of skis from a garage sale to build a sled that you would pull behind you. This way you can use it to set track. You can pull/drag more weight than you can carry.

The tent group toboggans used by the Canadian Forces for winter warfare were routinely over 400lbs. Given you had 2 soldiers pulling the traces and another steering and pushing on the tiller bar.

Surplus military toboggans appear from time-to-time, usually in the $400+ range. Not sure if that includes the nylon cover???

Best of luck with your winter travel adventure.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network