April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Generator Help

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I use a Champion 7800 generator for outages. Running it for just 2 hours, twice per day gives me the power to recool the fridge (and freezer if needed), pump water into containers, and recharge batteries and devices. It's a system that works for me. I do start it up on a regular basis to ensure that it runs when I needed, but this past winter, one of my regular startups wouldn't turn it over. I've had issues with bad gas before, so I thought that would be the problem.
Today being a pretty warm day, I figured I would clean out the carburator and get her up and running again. To my surprise, it started without any problem, and continues to run so that the starting battery can recharge.
Obviously this winter's issue was more related to temperature, so I ask...is there any tips on starting these engines in the cold?

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Well, If I cant bring the genny in side when cold my usual practice in cold weather is to always let the genny run out of fuel. I set a fuel can inside so if I have to go start it, I have warm fuel to dump in, that can sometimes help. Use lighter oil in the winter. Pour a little fuel on the air cleaner (usually a sponge of some type).....Then what I do if nothing else has worked is light a propane blow torch and lightly move the flame around the underside of the fuel bowl. If really cold like, -30 and more I often have danced the flame around the bottom of the bowl until I hear just a little tiny "pop" I think that is the sound of the fuel boiling off the inside of the fuel bowl. I am experienced at this though. That pop is my sign that it will start, and it always does!...,maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this practise, I can see someone melting the fuel line...too late.

You got to do, what you got to do...

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I haven't had to deal with the minus 30 or colder temperatures that some folks on the Prairie/ Alberta have to contend with. Usually I just put in the fuel and pull the starter. I have had occasion to use a shot of liquid fire if it's really cold. That has always been enough.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well, If I cant bring the genny in side when cold my usual practice in cold weather is to always let the genny run out of fuel. I set a fuel can inside so if I have to go start it, I have warm fuel to dump in, that can sometimes help. Use lighter oil in the winter. Pour a little fuel on the air cleaner (usually a sponge of some type).....Then what I do if nothing else has worked is light a propane blow torch and lightly move the flame around the underside of the fuel bowl. If really cold like, -30 and more I often have danced the flame around the bottom of the bowl until I hear just a little tiny "pop" I think that is the sound of the fuel boiling off the inside of the fuel bowl. I am experienced at this though. That pop is my sign that it will start, and it always does!...,maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this practise, I can see someone melting the fuel line...too late.

Holding a torch to the fuel bowl...what could possibly go wrong?!?
Probably less dangerous than it sounds though...thanks for the tips.
I remember as a kid starting an old snowmobile by spraying Quick Start into the carb...thoughts?

and just as a side note...paracord works great for replacing broken pull cords!

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member

Holding a torch to the fuel bowl...what could possibly go wrong?!?
Probably less dangerous than it sounds though...thanks for the tips.
I remember as a kid starting an old snowmobile by spraying Quick Start into the carb...thoughts?

and just as a side note...paracord works great for replacing broken pull cords!

If your in a jamb, spraying quick start down the pipe does work...I've used it before. But if its your "goto" you will quickly damage your engine. I'd only recommend this as a last resort. It will just cause other..more expensive issues. (I had some explaining to do once when I wrecked a jumping jack and packer doing this....)

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

...I remember as a kid starting an old snowmobile by spraying Quick Start into the carb...thoughts?
!

Sometimes starting fluid (quick start/liquid fire) is recommended for regular use with some two-stroke engines, because of its lubricating qualities. On four-stroke units , it can be argued that using starting fluid to get the engine running faster avoids wear to starters and fatigue to one's arm with pull start engine (especially on rarely used machines). Personally I don't have an occasion to use this often enough to start my generator, where I would be worried about causing damage. The firing cylinder is designed for controlled explosions; it's the principle behind how motors work... 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@gallowshumour)
Trusted Member

Maybe there was a bit of water frozen in the fuel line. It could have melted with the rising temperatures. Try adding a little fuel line de-icer next winter. If you're bringing it in and out of a heated area you could be getting condensation on the inside of the fuel tank.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You cleaning it out may have dislodged dirt, removed varnish buildup or as mentioned, de thawded some ice.
Thiiner oil was a good suggestion as well..
Keeping a trickle charge on battery helps ensure strong battery and if possible, keep it in a warm shed, garage...,. Oils warmer, Pistons will move essier.etc. If it gets real cold, metal to metal, just welds together until warmed up again.
I suspect it was dirt

ReplyQuote
(@tazweiss)
Honorable Member

Try heating up some reusable heating pads and packing them around the carb and fuel pump for about ten minutes. I don't know if it will work, but it may be worth a shot.

Those who are unwilling to defend freedom, will become unfree.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Try heating up some reusable heating pads and packing them around the carb and fuel pump for about ten minutes. I don't know if it will work, but it may be worth a shot.

I never thought of that!
Thanks Taz

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I never thought of that!
Thanks Taz

I bought a battery warmer blanket and did that for a few years. Hard to say if it helped or not but there you have it.

If I needed my Gen and I thought it was frozen stiff I would consider tarping it over and lighting up a little COLEMAN type propane cooker or a mr buddy type unit. I worked in northern quebec for years and we had to leave everything run 24/7 for months or it would freeze up and take 2-3 days in a heated garage for metal to unseize! So perhaps a little enclosure with room for air to circulate and no chance of tarp falling on heat source would be way to go in advance ( when you know it will be especially cold and power may go out due to winds etc) or post power going out. Other option in a pre event, is the same tarp setup but with a lightbulb as a source of heat

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

So here we go with a snowfall warning for tonight/tomorrow. We're expecting as much as a foot of snow and I figured I should go give the genny a try. Sure enough the battery turned the engine a few times, very slowly and quit! Prolly time for a new one, but it does have a pull start. As per usual in the winter (and it's only around 2 degrees) no luck.
Then I remembered an old trick for getting small engines that have sat for a while to start...
remove the air filter cover and pour a little gas on the filter. Not too much, it doesn't have to be dripping.
Put your filter in place and give it a crank.
Sure enough this worked! and on the first pull.
I'm sure Peppercorn or one of the other small engine gurus will tell me this is a bad idea, but with a storm coming...well, what the heck!

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

That's a neat trick Denob. Glad to hear you got it going in-time for the storm.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

So here we go with a snowfall warning for tonight/tomorrow. We're expecting as much as a foot of snow and I figured I should go give the genny a try. Sure enough the battery turned the engine a few times, very slowly and quit! Prolly time for a new one, but it does have a pull start. As per usual in the winter (and it's only around 2 degrees) no luck.
Then I remembered an old trick for getting small engines that have sat for a while to start...
remove the air filter cover and pour a little gas on the filter. Not too much, it doesn't have to be dripping.
Put your filter in place and give it a crank.
Sure enough this worked! and on the first pull.
I'm sure Peppercorn or one of the other small engine gurus will tell me this is a bad idea, but with a storm coming...well, what the heck!

I have a trickle charger connected to gen at all times. I do my tests but that charger is there in case.

I also bought a heater blanket for battery as well. Never needed to use it, but it’s there in case we are in a real cold snap.

Will try and remember your gas and filter trick. Thanks.

I wonder if a carb cleaner spray would do the same thing?

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

So, we have a freezing rain warning now for tonight/tomorrow morning. Running around crossing stuff off the prep list and I get to the generators.
My big one, the 7800 watt started on the second pull! The little 1500 though...not so good. I tracked the issue down to the carburator...stuck float needle. Cleaned everything out and reassembled it...now the valve sticks open and I leak gas out the top of the carb!
Another call to Champion in Burlington, Ontario and woohoo...a brand new carb being shipped to me from California NO CHARGE!!!
What can I say...Champion stands by their equipment!
I will change it out and clean up the old one properly to have a spare.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network