April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Keeping Hot Water

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Have been trying to come up with a way to store hot water for use in the day time. I'm thinking I would boil water with my morning fire, say 20l, and keep it in an insulated container, next to the Berkey, for use during the day. The only commercially available containers I see, large enough to hold 20l, are those plastic foam-insulated kinds. I could probably build an insulated box around one, to further trap heat, but I'm not sure the plastic in these could cope with boiling water.
Any thoughts on how to hold a large pail hot water for 10 or 12 hours, that would allow intermittent use of it?

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Have been trying to come up with a way to store hot water for use in the day time. I'm thinking I would boil water with my morning fire, say 20l, and keep it in an insulated container, next to the Berkey, for use during the day. The only commercially available containers I see, large enough to hold 20l, are those plastic foam-insulated kinds. I could probably build an insulated box around one, to further trap heat, but I'm not sure the plastic in these could cope with boiling water.
Any thoughts on how to hold a large pail hot water for 10 or 12 hours, that would allow intermittent use of it?

CT has large stock pots up to 20 Quarts or maybe even larger get the bigest one you can, then the next size smaller, place the small one inside the large, stuff fiberglass insulation inbetween the two..

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

CT has large stock pots up to 20 Quarts or maybe even larger get the bigest one you can, then the next size smaller, place the small one inside the large, stuff fiberglass insulation inbetween the two..

Look at maple syrup rigs. Large stainless steel with spigots... then you just insulate the tank, pot etc. Waterloo from Quebec is where I used to buy my maple soups equipment from

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Look at maple syrup rigs. Large stainless steel with spigots... then you just insulate the tank, pot etc. Waterloo from Quebec is where I used to buy my maple soups equipment from

Excellent, that's a good suggestion. Stainless is my preferred material, there, and I really do prefer something with a spigot. I'll check them out.

Also a good idea, I'd kinda figured the same notion out, but had forgotten about the big SS stock pots. The great advantage about using a pot, is that I can heat it directly on the stove, then place it straight into the insulating box. A vessel with a spigot is probably more convenient, but a simpler design is likely to last longer. I'll have to see how the prices look. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network