April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Outdoor Fire Heating

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So, for the past couple of years, I've burned an fire in an open pit, at night, to throw out some heat and ambiance. This Spring, I cleared a section of forest and set up another space, including a cheapo woodstove - just a Home Hardware steel box with a chimney, all kinds of metal shops offer something similar. I was surprised by how much more heat was thrown at me, through the open doorway, compared to when I burn in the open pit. It makes sense, I guess, a lot of heat must be reflected off the steel.

This has me wondering about a new fire pit I'm building, though, to replace the current open pit on the ridge. Am digging into the hillside, will set up some retaining walls, will bury a very large rock under the fire pit itself to act as a thermal mass, but I'm now thinking about a chiminea -style cover on it, maybe a large quarter-hemisphere or something. I dunno, think it's worth the extra expense, or will the semicircular retaining walls reflect enough heat that more from the fire itself won't be necessary? I suspect this would be mostly fired in winter.

(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Will there be a reflector behind the sitting area? Putting seating between heat source and something to reflect heat back would work best. Think about wind direction as well.

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I believe the retaining walls will reflect heat, yes.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network