April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Long term storage of AA, CR123 etc

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Other then AA batteries which I go through a great deal with trail cams, I don’t tend to cycle through the other types to much. So looking for info on ten year plus storage of AAA, AA, D, C and cr123’s

I tend to buy 10 year Duracell’s and wondering if I freeze them, I can get maybe another five or more years from them.

Also like to know about any success with long term storage of rechargeable AA’s ......

If a freezer helps, what other protective measure do you use IE; oxygen absorbers with Mylar bags etc

And last question, has anyone had good success with recharging the one use AA’s etc. I did it about ten years ago but haven’t tried with latest ones. Alkaline or lithium..

Merci

peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I got nothin, I have lots of rechargeables but use them, I have not tried storing them. Gave up on Duracells, Used to be great but I find they leak and ruin everything now days.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks peppercorn. Googling stuff is fine and I do it all the time but getting feedback from known reliable sources is the best.
Anyone else have feedback?

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I tend to cycle through my alkaline batteries well before the 10 year time period. I have heard though, from a source I consider reliable, that freezing them won't give you any longer life and may also decrease it. I do not however have any personal data on the topic.
As for rechargables, I tend to cycle them often enough and don't really keep them in storage. That being said I do take the NiMh batteries out of my solar garden lights and store them indoors for the winter. They are dead as doornails when I take them back out in the spring, but seem to take a charge and continue working as they should. I also use LiOn 18650 cells for various power packs for ham radio gear. They seem to hold a charge much longer than NiMh and I have yet to take one out after a year of storage to find it dead.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Slightly off topic, but I recently purchased the Plano version of this for AA battery storage. So far so good.

https://abraindump.com/blog/2013/04/19/bulk-storage-of-aa-and-aaa-batteries/

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Slightly off topic, but I recently purchased the Plano version of this for AA battery storage. So far so good.

https://abraindump.com/blog/2013/04/19/bulk-storage-of-aa-and-aaa-batteries/

Thank you very much, will be looking at ordering some up. like you and other comments, its fun trying to keep things together in easy to store, access or transport containers. appreciated

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network