May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Rifle Selection and Ammo Availability

116 Posts
19 Users
0 Reactions
27 K Views
albertaborn
(@albertaborn)
Trusted Member

I am not going to point to one caliber or another. They do have various pro and cons and it is an argument you can't win because someone will argue it.

I only have a couple points to consider when there is a need to shoot, unless your standing in a farmers field or out on the bald prairie, your in the bush for the most part. So when you stand in the woods how far can you see, at ground level 1 or 2 hundred feet maybe if it involves a cutline (I speak in general here) we all know maybe you're on top of a hill and its clear cut on the other side of the valley. but for the most part bush shooting is a short range shot. So I personally practice in that range.

I also think putting a round straight through the brain is the cleanest kill. Unless were in battle then I am going for slow killing painful wounds because the military thinking is right on with this.

I also like quiet as possible, with the ability to punch through a skull or bone.

Then I like to consider carry weight and ammo weight. take your gun or guns your going to carry and the amount of ammo and clips if your using them, how much does that all weigh. Now think about carrying that all day long maybe on a run, add that to the BOB and everything else your carrying. Then test yourself, get your gear on and run a km or maybe farther, that will help you decide what you do and do not want to carry.

Things I say are my opinion, which is like belly buttons everybody has one.
Anything I say is not meant to anger or offend just to encourage discussion between adults.

ReplyQuote
(@grumpy-bear)
Trusted Member

Well said Albertaborn. One must always remember that ammo and fire arms are heavy, not to mention your other gear. So if your not in great shape you better get there or carry small arms. By the way I like my JR Carbine in 9mm and the mags from my hand guns fit it, one mag type and one ammo type easy to keep things light.

Be Discreet, Be Friendly, Be Safe.
Most of all "Be Ready"

ReplyQuote
(@ihwaz)
Eminent Member

I agree also. Walking with my BOB is part of my regular fitness plan. After spending 20 plus years in the army I know that walking with a heavy pack over a long distance sucks even when you are in shape. My round of choice is .223 American Eagle. I can carry lots, I can buy it in bulk, and I could use it for squirrels and up. When I go to the range I will practice running and gunning with my BOB on and if you try it yourself you will see the need to keep the weight down. Choose wisely my fellow Preppers and be realistic with yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@grumpy-bear)
Trusted Member

For sure Ihwas, I'm getting old so I like light and compact.

Most of all "Be Ready"

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Took the Ruger 10/22 takedown to the indoor range yesterday and had a blast shooting it. Iron sight, off hand and a target at about 30 yd... 200 odd rounds later, I left with a smile on my face. Side note, the guy beside me was shooting a .45 and could hardly put rounds on paper at 20'. Morale of the story: big guns and big holes off paper isn't necessarily better than a few small holes centre of mass.

ReplyQuote
(@grumpy-bear)
Trusted Member

Got that right brother.

Most of all "Be Ready"

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

One interesting thing that is starting to get traction are the nonrestricted pistol cal carbines. the JR carbine and KELTEK SUB2000 gen 2 are 2 good representative versions. the sub2k weighs 4.5 lbs comes in 9mm and 40 sw. 10 rd mag capacity. the JR I havent tried but all reports show its a great product . The pic shows why i like the sub2k

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Nice pic. The last time I looked at a JR it was $1100. It seems to be a nice piece, but it's not cost-effective for me. The sub 2k is sweet and may be worth consideration. I really like it's folding ability and compatibility with the Glock mags. Thanks for posting.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member

Don’t forget my fave, the TNW ASR. Glock mags, caliber conversions, split in two like the sub 2 k, and takes ar-15 bits!

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Took the Ruger 10/22 takedown to the indoor range yesterday and had a blast shooting it. Iron sight, off hand and a target at about 30 yd... 200 odd rounds later, I left with a smile on my face. Side note, the guy beside me was shooting a .45 and could hardly put rounds on paper at 20'. Morale of the story: big guns and big holes off paper isn't necessarily better than a few small holes centre of mass.

BINGO. !!!!!!!!

Love my Ruger takedown,

The 9 mm rig does look nice and would have it’s applications. Have to convince my wife I need another tool

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

...big guns and big holes off paper isn't necessarily better than a few small holes centre of mass.

The moral of the story is that it's up to the shooter: anyone can put any sized holes on target with practice. Personally, I try to choose the correct round/weapon/optics for the job. This is primarily dependent on distance and the target to be taken-out...

I've always had a love for firearms; owning my first .22 at eight. I've found myself liking particular weapons for their style, feel, ammo capacity, reputation, coolness, color and number of other intangible factors. My occupation changed that. Oh I still am a sucker for a cool looking piece, but when the rubber hits the road, it's a tool. You use the right tool for the job, without favor, a cold calculating selection dependent on the circumstances. In a way, it ruined my love for collecting firearms. I no longer do. I now just keep my toolbox. Bummer...

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network