April 29, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Was it really all that bad?

27 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

peppercorn, may I ask if you could find out what the cost is running per pound? locally we are sitting at 10 cents per pound on average right now but its been higher and lower depending on the year.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

While I have yet to see that week or so of -40 or worse, I have noticed a lot more time spent at the -20 to -30 range. I am already dipping into my last of 10 cords of wood. Looks like I'll have to go get some of the standing dead I have just to make it through.
Interestingly enough, that kind of ties it into the adapter thread. While -20 or so isn't an "OMG CRA CRA" moment for me, the fact that these temps may be more the norm makes me wonder a bit.
I've already started to look for more bush lots for wood harvesting (and maybe some more growing space after that).

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

heat, light and a few other essentials can be fairly easily ramped up and falls under category of redundancy.

producing food or caring for animals is however likely the biggest chore ahead that i can see ( if climate folks are correct)

i have never grown a garden to survive on and am going to give it another go this summer. from everything i have head from Farmgal and many others on this board, i see it being the biggest challenge. of course food crop for animals is another one! I will tackle the garden issue first

i am leaning towards a greenhouse as being a viable option to hedge ones bet ( to supplement normal field veggies that is) now that takes heat and light so that can be costly as well and living in Canada that is a big issue. I have wood but will idealy want to add solar for redundant light.

One look at peppercorns efforts and you see the level of attention needed to produce light via the sun. then there is the cost for the greenhouse big enough to make up for lousy summer harvest.

lots to keep us all busy and broke 😳

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

peppercorn, may I ask if you could find out what the cost is running per pound? locally we are sitting at 10 cents per pound on average right now but its been higher and lower depending on the year.

I will see them tommorow and ask, though I have never heard them mention price by pound, only by round and square bale.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

They tell me they are paying 80 to 100 for the big round hay bails, and 15 dollars for the rectanular bails of alfafa. Four horses in one pen go through one big round bail a week, so thats damn near 400 a month....I would be looking up horse meat recipies if I had to pay that much.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Thanks, I pay 75 delivered for my round or Big Square Bales and I go though two of them every 10 to 14 days depending on the weather, (they eat more in the deeper cold) I refuse to feed it out in the round bales, ya, its easier to roll it in and put the ring up.. but the waste man.. My herd (two horse's, the sheep and goats) can and will burn though a round bale in five to seven days if allowed to.. but if I take the time to feed it out in portions twice a day and only what they need and force them to clean it up.. then I can get 1o to 14 days.. sure its work, but its worth it to save the cash in hand..

Ps, horse meat is good eating as long as the horse is safe to do so.. Most pet horse's have been on some very unsafe for human drugs at some point in the their life.. but I have eaten some dang fine horse meat in Europe

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

heat, light and a few other essentials can be fairly easily ramped up and falls under category of redundancy.

producing food or caring for animals is however likely the biggest chore ahead that i can see ( if climate folks are correct)

i have never grown a garden to survive on and am going to give it another go this summer. from everything i have head from Farmgal and many others on this board, i see it being the biggest challenge. of course food crop for animals is another one! I will tackle the garden issue first

i am leaning towards a greenhouse as being a viable option to hedge ones bet ( to supplement normal field veggies that is) now that takes heat and light so that can be costly as well and living in Canada that is a big issue. I have wood but will idealy want to add solar for redundant light.

One look at peppercorns efforts and you see the level of attention needed to produce light via the sun. then there is the cost for the greenhouse big enough to make up for lousy summer harvest.

I have to laugh.. O that's a great Qoute.. Lots to keep us busy and broke.. You have no idea how true this is.. I just put in a $600 plus order on more fruit, nut trees, bushes and canes.. I about cried.. I can not get what I feel I need at the local nursery's. I have to reach out and search and seek the more hardy, the different, sometimes , you need to seek for the permaculture gardeners.

Still I think it will be very worth it in the end.. I will share on a number of them IF they work out and are worth it.. I am excited about everything I picked but the new type of hazelnut cross and the flowering Quince are the top two I am looking for.. I want to see if those nuts do as well as they say, at mature bushes, they are to produce 9 to 18 kilo's per year and I ordered in four of them.. In this day and age, we take fat so for granted, where in nature, its so hard to come by..

Ah, the green house, its costly in so many ways.. a 3 season can work better.. I will be interested in seeing what you decide and how it goes.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

While I have yet to see that week or so of -40 or worse, I have noticed a lot more time spent at the -20 to -30 range. I am already dipping into my last of 10 cords of wood. Looks like I'll have to go get some of the standing dead I have just to make it through.
Interestingly enough, that kind of ties it into the adapter thread. While -20 or so isn't an "OMG CRA CRA" moment for me, the fact that these temps may be more the norm makes me wonder a bit.
I've already started to look for more bush lots for wood harvesting (and maybe some more growing space after that).

Its that dang name.. Global warming.. As my geologist Hubby says!

Whoever created that name, should have been given a good smack with a rolled up newpaper.. LOL

He would then explain that it's climate change and that the poles flip, and that if this level volcano went off, we could have another year with no summer like in the 1800's and another hundred examples of how things went down as the earth shifts, groans and moans LOL

Ok, he would never say that last bit.. that was me lol.. But he really can explain Climate Change in a way that makes you understand and grasp that, in a nut shell, extreme weather events, that fertile lands become marginal and marginal becomes.. no man's lands. We have some area's that will get hotter, some that will get more rain, some that will get no rain and others that will have deep cold/huge snow packs and so forth..

I think the turning point for me was when he looked at me and said.. well, we either have to make some major changes to the farm or we need to move, because the extreme heat is during the summer months is not going to get better my dear and you can handle cold like a champ but you can not do heat..

At this point, we are making the changes to the farm and we will see.. I don't like the idea of starting over that's for sure.. but I also know that if needed.. we will pack up and make that move.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have to laugh.. O that's a great Qoute.. Lots to keep us busy and broke.. You have no idea how true this is.. I just put in a $600 plus order on more fruit, nut trees, bushes and canes.. I about cried.. I can not get what I feel I need at the local nursery's. I have to reach out and search and seek the more hardy, the different, sometimes , you need to seek for the permaculture gardeners.

Still I think it will be very worth it in the end.. I will share on a number of them IF they work out and are worth it.. I am excited about everything I picked but the new type of hazelnut cross and the flowering Quince are the top two I am looking for.. I want to see if those nuts do as well as they say, at mature bushes, they are to produce 9 to 18 kilo's per year and I ordered in four of them.. In this day and age, we take fat so for granted, where in nature, its so hard to come by..

Ah, the green house, its costly in so many ways.. a 3 season can work better.. I will be interested in seeing what you decide and how it goes.

Good point, I Never thought of the three season as a workable solution but it may just get it done. I was looking at a smaller and more steady approach to producing legumes, instead of the more harried and environment sensitive approach of conventional field approach. Thanks and can you share your source for nut trees?

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Hi, here is the place I have ordered my nut tree's from.

http://www.hardyfruittrees.ca/catalog/nut-tree

There is a place in the southern part of Ontario that also does a lot of nut tree's but they are often not hardy enough for our zone, where as this list is pretty much all would work in our zone, if you have the land to plant some of these big ones, I went much smaller.. I want ones that do not get bigger then 20 feet ideally, plus you can trim them back a touch.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thank you Farmgal
Lots of land, just have to keep the deer away 😆

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I have the land for it within reason, I need my pasture land for critters, I just do not want to have grow that big, I do not want to have to climb a ladder to pick, or at least not a big one.. I am prefer to be able to reach the top's with the apple or nut pickers and keep those heights down.. however some don't like to be pruned that short.. Maybe the higher ones would be better in bad deer country..

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network