April 28, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Winter Weather 2018

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

have you found I line of chanteclers available that produce eggs well and are in fact health hardy?

I and a number of girlfriends have worked with a number of available lines of this bird from Quebec an Ontario.. very poor standard available at least what I have seen personally.. one of those breeds that sound great on paper but have had a breed them all.. they are so rare in real life allowing some very poor backyard breeder traits into the breed.

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I remember when I was looking into chicken breeds. The Chanteclers look great on all the websites, but further investigation showed that the majority around these days are all mixed breed and no where near the original. I ended up with a generic red breed similar to a rhode island red and had great success.
Purchased in the spring at a couple weeks old, I held them in a homemade brooder on the dining room table until they feathered out. They were in the outdoor coop early summer and got along very well all winter without any heat at all. Just a deepish litter for bedding and regular (3-4 times per day when -40) and all was good.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network