May 02, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Mobile Communication

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@twenty3rdpsalm)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello to all,

This month's preps to include some form of mobile communication equipment for OP use, or while on foraging runs, ect. Looking at purchasing 6 mobile handheld radios & the items currently being considered are the Cobra 38WXST, or any of the GMRS radios. I would greatly appreciate any feedback, or personal experiences any of you may have had with this equipment. As mobile comm's are somthing I do not have a great deal of experience with, pehaps even other equipment sugestions could be provided.
Keep Safe / Twenty3rdPsalm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have an older version of the Midland GXT series of GMRS radios. GMRS are restricted to 2 watts output in Canada but US versions have 5 watt output. Features to look for are a waterproof case, ability to use AA or AAA batteries in place of the rechargeable batts that come with them and VOX capability. I have had great success with mine.

JAB

ReplyQuote
(@twenty3rdpsalm)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info JAB /// I'm a little torn between the 2 /// GMRS for the privacy, CB for the outside communication & info gathering abilities

ReplyQuote
(@ru-really)
Trusted Member

Privacy can be an expensive commodity these days. Older CBs, some easily modified, can outperform mainstream products, and a simple communications code can deal with privacy. The challenge is finding quiet, suitable frequencies on which to operate. Usually overcome with some relatively simple mods to your radio. Antennae can be purchased second hand on the cheap, or built with a little knowledge, on the very cheap. You can download antenna calculators on the web where you enter the freq. to get the physical dimensions.

ReplyQuote
(@walrus)

don't forget about murs a better choice for personal communications than the busy gmrs in my humble opinion

Stephen

canadawalrus@gmail.com

"Wisdom not shared, is wisdom wasted"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Lol. While posting to “is it over yet”. My internet went down ( land line), looked at cell and that was dead?
What it was is not known yet but from west of Toronto to montreal was affected so must be something frail 😆 And one more weak link in the chain of many vulnerabilities. Bell, telus....

So per this topic matter. Comms during a crisis from Ham radio, CB or short range family band radios Are a must or a real nice to have.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Just read bout the massive outage.

I have some GMRS (?) radios - those with a range advertised at 20-40km (exaggerated 10x) compatible with my neighbour’s.

I also have 3 BAofengs but have not yet configured them - still in boxes in my metallic gun vault. I could share those with my neighbours to create a small network. Not great to find out what’s going on around the world, but enough to help each other’s in a pinch. If I need news, I also have a multi band/ multi power source radio that can probably tell me what’s wrong in the world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What struck me was both my cell and land line were down. To my semi geek, investigative... mind, I found that very strange. I have yet to see any explanation or even half baked statement or real reference to it. Beyond the usual outage monitoring sites, it’s pretty close to crickets. Hack from our friends in China? Either way, not very good.

For comms of any type, I recommend That your group only talk in prearranged code words and those change.

Example, you meet and lay out words that mean certain things. Let’s meet at Macdonalds and that means we meet by the bridge, 010:00 means 16:30 (4:30pM) Alway use new code words, write them down if needed but keep them simple and plausible/ don’t overdue ones cuteness! Don’t always pick the same time or day to send out a message. Radio “clicks” can be used so people listening can’t tag a person to an action.

While scanners will pick you up, keep changing your pre arranged channels, Establish “offline” what channels you will use the next time, times you will communicate on them and keep your time online short! These channel changes should be part of your list of code words to describe rendezvous or action messages.

Comsec is far more important then most people understand and it doesn’t have to be complicated to be effective in low to even medium plus levels. People accustomed to radio use will have an easier time communicating so it’s important for people new to radios or any form of discretion to be comfortable with usage and any defensive measures used to conceal comms or what the message is really about. KISS concept is important

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Clarence, this is becoming interesting to me...

Comm is anything but KISS and I have to tell you that the old adage “amateur speak tactics, professionals talk logistics” was written before electronic communications! About half the planning before a military aviation mission is spent on communications.

PACE plan (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency) is essential, and missions must be rehearsed so as to be able to complete them entirely silenced if needs be. Actions on jamming (Called “chattermark”), actions on accidentally divulgated information (called “beadwindow”) etc are all considered and mitigated. Want to teach a lesson to a young mission commander-trainee who brushed over his comms plan? Ask your door gunner to randomly start signing a song on the “interplane frequency” (used by all aircraft in the same formation to communicate), then watch his frustration grow (especially if the gunner has a lousy voice, but that’s another story).

Anyway, on this, who can help me with my Baofengs?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My KISS message was intended for those not accustomed to your world or mine. No gunner singIng a song in my ear and not likely going to happen for a family at a cottage trying with others to setup some perimeter security on their lake etc.

People can However benefit from the Info I mentioned below because some of it is from a certain world I know. In keeping my client secure I would run an opposing forces through surveillance gauntlets and easy or discrete comms was essential. Educating clients to learn how to go dark, how to set up discrete meeting locations in advance and talk in code over a phone or internet to throw off illegal intercepts.

it is as you point out, very important to discuss how to communicate prior to an op and that is what I was attempting to convey in a not to detailed form and not reveal more detailed tradecraft. Just some basics down here on the ground.

Good luck with bao units

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

don't forget about murs a better choice for personal communications than the busy gmrs in my humble opinion

There are no frequencies for MURS in Canada and no plans for it either.
Some of the frequencies used for MURS in the US are reserved for other things here, such as law enforcement and other emergency services.
DO NOT use those frequencies.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

What's up with the Baofengs? I can probably help.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mobile phone security.
Once had a client call me in a panic saying that a very sensitive business meeting with unions involved was on his home answering machine when he got home. He naturally figured the union had bugged the room and was taunting him with it. First thing I asked was are you calling me from your work cell, “yes”. That was mistake #1, for one never calls about a potential “bug” in an office.... from any office or Known cell Number.

Before I started ramping up options, something told me to ask him to look at his cell phone log. Yep, you guessed it, he pocket dialed his own home and it was him that “leaked” the convo!

It’s standard operating procedure for some to never allow cellphones,
laptops, ipads... into any confidential meeting space and that is what anyone should do if you want to avoid an accidental pocket dial situation.

Just leave ALL phones outside of the meeting and you go a long way in avoiding embarrassing or damaging situations.

As mentioned below by myself and Heli, know your plans for communication in advance and adhere to them religiously. One may be frustrated and start babbling but others in the group need to shut that person down fast and not continue.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

What's up with the Baofengs? I can probably help.

Need setting them up with common freqs. Right now, they all have different presets. I have cables and a “CD-ROM” (no idea how I’m supposed to make that work with Apple products... in 2020). Would like to set them up with a couple frequencies.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Download CHIRP, it has a MAC OS version. As for setting up the cable on Apple, I have no idea.
You can use the CD as a coaster.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network