May 05, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Harvey and Irma

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dougm)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been watching events in the States. For me it's a learning experience. The need to keep gasoline around is one thing learned. The need for home power generation. A chainsaw and the skill to use it. Shortwave radio or satellite some sort of communication that is reliable. Looters.
I feel validated being a Prepper and a bad part of me wants to say I told you so.
What did you learn.

Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Many Preppers I've talked to see preparation as how they can continue to exist in a similar way that they do now. Although I have independent power generation in my home, this is only a short-term solution. For me, preparation requires a change in expectations. How to survive without gasoline, reliable communication, or a chainsaw (although I've stockpiled these items).

The hard reality is that many of these crutches can be damaged or destroyed in a disaster. Skills like felling a tree with an axe have more of a priority than having a chainsaw and ample gasoline available. Having taught survival skills for a number of years, I've come to rely on the only tool that I may have available at the time: myself. In this light, the most important survival tool is personal fitness. Everything else is a bonus... 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@djprepper)
Eminent Member

You are your own FEMA.

Prepare ahead of time, get ready in advance, and don't rely on the Cavalry to come riding in at the last moment to bail you out.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Some great feedback here. Of course we are a site dedicated to preparedness but insights here are excellent.
I am security professional and have worked on numerous preparedness projects. Also a number of other security specialties I will not list here. So see the threats and risks from a wide lens.
One thing I have noted is the stressing of physical fitness. It is great to be in shape and provides a tremendous advantage, but we must also be aware of the fact that many are not in good shape, maybe suffering from medical or severe physical limitations.

I have asthma and a heart issue. Can I run like others, no. But I can use a chainsaw or axe like few others I know, I have 4wd, atv, trucks, tractor.......so will rely on most part on these mechanical means of moving me if needed. That said, I also know how to hike in the bush and can do it. Slower then many but I can certainly do it.

We also need to remember we have women or men on this board or who may pop in one fine day and need to make sure they know what they can do, even if they can’t bench press 500 lbs. or can jog for hours on end. I have two daughters and a wife who are strong and who I would love to have around me during an emergency, so let’s also stress the importance on mental preparedness and things we can do to compensate for any physical limitations. Don’t get me wrong, for those who can get in better shape, should be making the effort today but like any tool, we need backups.

Look forward to contributing more to the site. Cheers. Jim
www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

...And don't take a frickin holiday to the Caribbean during hurricane season. I've listened to two annoying radio interviews in the last 2 weeks. Interview #1 - Canadian tourist who knew before leaving that Cat 5 Irma was heading to her travel destination. Of course she did not think to buy/obtain any extra food/water when she got her destination. And of course it is the Can govt's fault that she was not evacuated immediately (due to problems caused by the local island govt) The interviewer asked why she didn't consider NOT going, since she knew Irma was coming. She said they spent "so much time planning it, and the storm could change direction" gee how much of their holiday did they "waste" waiting for evac?....stupid stupid stupid!

Interview #2 - response to Maria in Puerto Rico. The gist was that they were putting the blame on FEMA to come to the rescue. An emergency response expert mentioned one problem is that the average person did not have 7 days of food & water, and that FEMA had been telling people for years to prepare for something like this. The interviewer glossed over the personal responsibility part, of course, and said "well, I can;t say that I do either"(have 7 days worth of supplies). PR is poorer than many, but it is an island, so should have been more prepared. The interviewer lives in a much more prosperous country, has a well-paying job, and lives in a city/region that is on an earthquake fault line and prone to ice storms. She has no excuse.

I hope that people will increase their general preparedness, but I won't hold my breath 🙁

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Some great feedback here. Of course we are a site dedicated to preparedness but insights here are excellent.
I am security professional and have worked on numerous preparedness projects. Also a number of other security specialties I will not list here. So see the threats and risks from a wide lens.
One thing I have noted is the stressing of physical fitness. It is great to be in shape and provides a tremendous advantage, but we must also be aware of the fact that many are not in good shape, maybe suffering from medical or severe physical limitations.

I have asthma and a heart issue. Can I run like others, no. But I can use a chainsaw or axe like few others I know, I have 4wd, atv, trucks, tractor.......so will rely on most part on these mechanical means of moving me if needed. That said, I also know how to hike in the bush and can do it. Slower then many but I can certainly do it.

We also need to remember we have women or men on this board or who may pop in one fine day and need to make sure they know what they can do, even if they can’t bench press 500 lbs. or can jog for hours on end. I have two daughters and a wife who are strong and who I would love to have around me during an emergency, so let’s also stress the importance on mental preparedness and things we can do to compensate for any physical limitations. Don’t get me wrong, for those who can get in better shape, should be making the effort today but like any tool, we need backups.

Look forward to contributing more to the site. Cheers. Jim
http://www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com

Hey Clarence,

Don't get me wrong I fully understand that there are people who don't have the physical abilities needed to look after themselves, let alone others. There is obviously a wide variance in the physical capabilities of people. I'm 64 and no longer run a 4:28 mile. I get it. But I still have a choice to maintain a level of fitness as a priority. The fact remains that a person's fitness may be the single most important factor in a survival situation.

As fitness decreases the amount of required aid also increases. My point is that I'm not against aid, rather I 'm an advocate of self-sufficiency. As far as prepping is concerned, fitness is at the top of the list. I find it interesting that this isn't something that is always recognized.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Being physically fit is great and can certainly be a life saver. People need to do what they can to maintain good health
One thing that has kept me safe in my life of travels to dangerous locals and my job in security is situational awareness. Eyes, ears alert and sizing up people and situations is what i rely upon. A good example is an armed body guard. If they have to jump in front of their client to protect them, they failed. Keeping your client away from danger was their job. So, like all of us, we prepare, plan and then execute.
Not being in shape and trying to walk with a 72 hour pack is not good. You want to be in shape. But recognizing danger in the first few minutes and grabbing a taxi with 200 in cash and getting out of the area before all the simpletons wake up to the danger beats being in shape and walking out with the rest. Being in shape AND getting out with taxi is optimum!

This is a great forum. New to this public discussion side of things. More accustomed to talking amongst coworkers or clients. All the best.

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I agree; it's best to be in-shape and be able to insure you're the one to get to the taxi first. LOL Be well...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have been involved in gov and Corp preparedness since at least 1998 and to some extent have been doing it since I was a teen. What I know see in an urban environment is almost two extremes. Those we call preppers and those who live one grocery shopping to the next. We also have a significant portion of the population who are not in shape, have no decent footwear or a Alito to walk away from a disaster, these very people also don’t even own a car. Gov is useless in almost any large scale disaster so the ones who think the gov will be there, will be very much shocked when they are not.
I started my survival side to my business www.survive.triwolfsecurity.com to try and bridge the gap. You will see I chose high or upper mid level photos so an exec living in TO...would understand and accept that being prepared doesn’t mean driving a pickup truck with a bio fuel converter in the truck bed. That’s all fine and dandy for the person who can have one but I also want to reach out to those who may wish to get prepared but are unsure of what they can do in their condo on the 30th floor and who take Uber or taxis everywhere. The kits I sell are not cheap but the items are solid and the detailed pages provide tips to beginner a moderately experienced person.
It would be very satisfying on a personal level if I could help city folks understand and accept that they must prepare and a few good and moderate things they can do to survive.
I was in Ottawa on oct 22 when the shooter was on parliament hill. Lockdown in most core office towers, no valuable news from any form of gov. Feds were horrible. No news on when or even if busses would be running to take people home. On and on. One wing nut firing an old deer bush gun for fifteen minutes and nations capital was paralyzed. Imagine three car bombs popping off over a 6 hour period! Hope people are ready to spend the night in their office, car or walk home. Now picture a terrorist attack on a chlorine plant! One needs to act fast and have some basic with them at all times. That taxi or even offering a person in their car that 200 to get you out will all help
All the best. Cheees

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

Thanks for that introduction. It helps me understand where you're coming from and your perspective.

As a police tactical officer (now retired), I've been involved in the protection of high-risk targets. This has included the Queen, members of the Royal family, the Pope, P.M., Cartel/gang informers and witnesses against organized crime. I can certainly appreciate the value of the services you provide your Clients. I'm also familiar with Government emergency situation limitations and agree that people should be better prepared with equipment and survival/situational training.

By way of background, I've instructed civilian and military survival for the past 46 years. I completed my initial instructor's course with Canadian Outward Bound when I was 18. Other training has been completed by the Canadian Forces and it's Allies (the U.S. Army and British S.A.S.). My Police sniper training was managed by the Canadian Forces (Bisley team) and counter-sniper was provided through the U.S. Secret Service Training Center in Maryland. Ongoing training has been conducted by L.A. SWAT, U.S. Marine Scout/Snipers, Toronto ERT and the F.B.I. Now I don't exercise enough and probably drink too much Scotch..

I believe (as was previously mentioned) that the best preparation for survival is fitness. This is the foundation on which the survival plan is based. If the fitness level is low (or injury is involved) the plan must be changed to accommodate the situation. No plan is guaranteed and people must be mentally prepared for pain and discomfort.

Your survival kits are impressive. I believe them to be overkill in some areas (but worthwhile if the person can carry the extra weight). Redundant systems are ideal, but extra weight may cause difficulty.

I look forward to future discussions and wish you and your businesses success. Be well.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network