May 21, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Help me help a 16 yr old with a lot on her mind!

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
gypsy_wanderer_husky
(@gypsy_wanderer_husky)
Topic starter  

Ok here is the situation. We have been prepping our little hearts out. Right down to figuring out wither to leave or stay. But while doing this, a scary thought was brought to my attention.

My oldest daughter is a senor now in high school grade 10, age 16. Like a a lot of places they have now set up things for emergencies as well. Her school like many others will go into lock down. Doors locked, children line a wall away from the class door and windows. If they where to evac, no problem. My daughter has no problem once outside the doors of the school. She has that set out for us. Its the getting out part that bothered her. Her fear is that if the Island we live on has to evac, would the military come in and lock the students down, to get there parents to leave willingly. I know I can sit back and tell her naa don't worry about that. But there is always that.....But Mom?.

Her issue is what do I do.... "If they wont let me out." She does carry her cell phone on her in school, it isn't allowed, but she does. Rules state that they are to be left in their lockers, but ok yeah well. Lets just say they don't. lol She says she keeps it on, and on vibrate there as well.
As her mom its all well and good for me to say. "Sit still, do as your told, and we'll be there asap."

This is the basic set up of her school. To the left behind the school is a large parking lot. This is where the students board school buses daily, as well as it leads her home. For the most part she is on the second level 90 % of her time there as well.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

(@glockman1)
Estimable Member

Tell her there is always a way out ...a window is the easiest to break and get out if she has to. Teachers would also have a hard time stopping a rush of students to a door. She can relax on the military issue (I have some experience there and have deployed on humanitarian missions). The military will not lock down a school as the military cannot legally operate off base unless they are requested to aid civil power or martial law is declared (that would mean something a lot bigger than a natural disaster). Aid to civil power is usually in response to some kind of disaster and the mandate would be to house, feed, and/or rescue and evacuate. The only reason anyone would be advised to stay in a school or mall during a disaster is to prevent chaos and to better coordinate an orderly evacuation.
Hope this helps put her mind to rest....it is not worth stressing over but prepping is worthwhile.

GM1

Chance favours the prepared mind

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Echo Glockman, he's right.

If she runs out of the school during a lockdown though, it has to be done smartly. Running outside alone like crazy may just make you a target for either the terrorist inside the school or the fidgety nervous cops outside. Try to go as a group, hands in the air and listen to any commands given by authorities. As for cellphones in cases of emergencies, it's to call 911 only. The last thing you want are 300 kids clogging the cell tower as they all call home at once, and then 300 parents grid locking the blocks around the school, driving to see what is going on, preventing emergency services from getting there in a timely manner. Cellphones are double edged swords in cases like this.

ReplyQuote
gypsy_wanderer_husky
(@gypsy_wanderer_husky)
Topic starter  

Thank you guys this help calm her slightly.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

ReplyQuote
(@fishin_e)
Eminent Member

Hey, I was just thinking about this. As somebody mentioned above, the lock down is to keep others from getting in, not students getting out. She will find that there are no locks on the windows, or doors, which would keep students from getting out. This would be completely illegal and against fire code regulations. You cannot have a whole facility that locks in order to keep people in without it being called a jail. To lock people in during an emergency would be insane. Most every emergency would require a safe evacuation of the school, or at least enable it.

If your daughter thinks that some situation might exist, such as a school lock-in, that defies rational thought. You should point out to her that irrational fears can be a great enemy to her and others in any emergency, and as part of her preparations, she should go on a fact finding mission to conquer any irrational fears before they start. Get her to walk around the school, taking note that there are no mechanisms present for locking the students in and that there is no rational base for expecting them to appear during an emergency.

ReplyQuote
(@cavemanjoe)

If this situation occurs, all my daughter (15) has to do is txt me and I will come and get her and anybody getting in my way has to answer to the 12 gauge, as simple as that??? I am the boss over my daughters life !!!

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member

If this situation occurs, all my daughter (15) has to do is txt me and I will come and get her and anybody getting in my way has to answer to the 12 gauge, as simple as that??? I am the boss over my daughters life !!!

I agreed with you up until 'You're the boss over your 15 year old daughters life'? What happens if she gets with a dude you don't approve of, you gonna shoot both of em, radical islamic style?

This thread is ridiculous from start to finish. Yeah, a 16 year old girl gives a !@#$ about prepping for an emergency. Right. Parent is disillusioned.

ReplyQuote
dollyndrew
(@dollyndrew)
Estimable Member

This thread is ridiculous from start to finish. Yeah, a 16 year old girl gives a !@#$ about prepping for an emergency. Right. Parent is disillusioned.

W O W !

ReplyQuote
(@singlecell)
Estimable Member

W O W !

What?

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network