May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Storage of restricted firearms in Canada

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys!
It has been 14 years since I owned a handgun and I am getting the itch to buy one now. I have only had to concern myself with the laws for non restricted firearms because all I own are hunting rifles and shotguns. So I wanted to contact someone who could shine some light on the gray areas of the Canadian gun laws. I call three people and got three different responses. I made a video and posted it to youtube so please feel free to have a look. This is proof that the Canadian gun laws are useless. Sorry for the poor video and sound, my video camera was dead so I used my tablet instead.

http://youtu.be/DiAbaAw8_Vg

(@dascribbler)
Estimable Member

To my knowledge (I have my RPAL) all Restricted Fire Arms must be stored trigger locked in a secure cabinet/safe/room that cannot be easily accessed.

So trigger locked in your gun safe and you should be good.

Further help at: http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/forum.php and at http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/forum.php

*** Edit:

Just finished watching your video. Great Job!! Thanks for putting it up πŸ™‚

DaScribbler

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You see this is just the problem we are facing! The law says you must store a restricted firearms in a locked secure container or cabinet that is not easily broken into. The gun also has to have a locking device attached to it... OR... yes it say OR which means you have to choose to follow what's before the OR or follow what's after the OR. Now what it says after the OR is... the restricted firearm has to be locked in a safe or vault... that is it... says nothing about using a locking device. Then we get into the storage of ammo with the handgun in a safe or vault. Everyone thinks they know the law but we don't... lol. Last but not least it is not a good idea to get legal advice from unknown sources on forums. I think I may have to go see a lawyer and see what he thinks.

ReplyQuote
(@tinfoilhats)
Trusted Member

Seems pretty straight forward to me:

"Attach a secure locking device so the firearms cannot be fired and lock them in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into"

or

"Lock the firearms in a vault, safe or room that was built or modified specifically to store firearms safely. "

So if you don't want to trigger lock them, put in a safe or vault or fancy gun room.

ReplyQuote
(@moraguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey Tinfoilhats, thanks for the reply! What you stated in your post is pretty straight forward indeed, unless you want to get picky. I regards to the statement "Difficult to break into" you could ask how difficult dose a room have to be to break into. Second with the statement "a room that was modified specifically to store firearms" you could ask how modified dose it have to be. The wording used is very open ended for sure. I really don't have a problem with the laws dealing with storage of the firearms themselves because I am using a safe (not cabinet) and don't have to worry about all the open ended wording as stated above. The original question I was trying to have answered when I made these calls was not so clear and I got three different answers. Can you store ammo for a restricted firearm in the safe (not cabinet) with the firearm. A lot for people say yes you can and a lot of people say no you can't unless it is locked in it's own container and that container is placed in the safe with the firearm. Now this part of the law is not as clear as the part you had mentioned in your post. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@tinfoilhats)
Trusted Member

Once again from the RCMP:

Here is the law

STORAGE OF RESTRICTED FIREARMS

6. An individual may store a restricted firearm only if

(a) it is unloaded;

(b) it is

(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) stored in a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked; and

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in

(i) a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into, or

(ii) a vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms and that is kept securely locked.

I read that as you can store it with ammo as long as its locked up in one of the ways they describe. You just can not have the gun loaded. Although it says nothing about storing your ammunition in magazines, in one of the storage containers/rooms/vaults etc. πŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network