May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What Did You Prep This Week

1,359 Posts
130 Users
0 Likes
195.3 K Views
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

Some serious shopping there FarmGal. What did you get for sickle? Considering getting one as well, but am not willing to part with a pay check for one...

I picked up two of the now out of stock ones but there are still a few there that are good as well..

https://scytheworks.ca/sickles-other-tools/

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

17 pounds spices and herbs, 25 kg of pearl barley, seeds, seeds and more seeds.. fodder crops, more fruit bushes for the food forest, nails, screws duck tape tuck tape, big roll of vaper plastic, more electric push in mobile fence posts. butcher paper freezer tape, meat twine, two bush clearing hand held sickles

Pearl Barley..have you stored it for a long time? I have put away (vac sealed) large amounts. I have heard differing accounts of how long it can store for?? This is a item I use in lots of my stews, and a major staple in the dog food I make. I vac sealed it but If heat canning would be better I could do that? I have many extra 1/2 gallon jars that I have now found out that I cant use for canning so I could repurpose them for Barley storage if it would give me longer storage life.

that was part of the reason I went with pearl, it has been twice ground, so it is as close in Barley as you can get to white rice with the bran removed and as you know its the brans that hold the oils that go bad faster.. so Pearl has the longest "normal" use shelve life. I have stored it in the half gallon jars for a full year in a cool dark with no issues (not doing anything else to it.. pour, put the lid on finger tip tight and put it away..

It would last ALOT longer if you vaccoom sealed it and took the air out with the lid and went.. I do go thought it pretty fast, I think the oldest I have ever had in the house is three years and it was fine..

Nice on the rice..

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Not really just this week, but over the past couple...

1) rotated / refilled approx 120L of fuel (premium, with StaBil)
2) picked, processed and canned over 150 x 125ml jars of mixed berries compote
3) added shelving in the utility room as the pantry and cold room and getting rather full
4) was gifted a nice chicken tractor from a friend who gave up on chickens; works well as an isolation coop or a chicken jail for broody girls
5) chainsaw bar oil and gas/oil mix
6) about a cord of wood to let season through the year as I “should” have enough for this winter.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Recently picked up a bulb auger. Using it on a cordless drill to very quickly turn over my compost bins. Works a treat.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

17 pounds spices and herbs, 25 kg of pearl barley, seeds, seeds and more seeds.. fodder crops, more fruit bushes for the food forest, nails, screws duck tape tuck tape, big roll of vaper plastic, more electric push in mobile fence posts. butcher paper freezer tape, meat twine, two bush clearing hand held sickles

Pearl Barley..have you stored it for a long time? I have put away (vac sealed) large amounts. I have heard differing accounts of how long it can store for?? This is a item I use in lots of my stews, and a major staple in the dog food I make. I vac sealed it but If heat canning would be better I could do that? I have many extra 1/2 gallon jars that I have now found out that I cant use for canning so I could repurpose them for Barley storage if it would give me longer storage life.

Was in the big city Friday...couldnt help myself...11, 8kg bags of rice came home with me, thats something like 300 000 calories for 97 dollars. I cant grow the stuff and it stores forever so...I did the math wrong when labeling that picture it should have said 88 kg of rice or 194 pounds.
80kgs rice.jpg

To keep storage costs low this rice will stay in the original bags and be placed into a galvanized garbage can. Gorilla tape should seal up the handles area, then expanding foam will be shot into and around the lid gap.

Question. Do you not find the plastic bags leach onto the rice? I find it a real nasty taste after maybe six months. Mylar bags are in short supply so one could store in mason jars but as you said, the storage costs add up. I just caution folks to taste what they have stored for six months in the original plastic bags and decide if they wish to let the process to continue leaching into what one will want to eat.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

I dont know what to say to that. I have not noticed a taste difference though I am not known for having a refined palate. Maybe given enough time in plastic I would notice. I would find it interesting if other could taste the plastic from storage?

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Canadian Tire sells the food grade 5 gallon pails, with lids for something like 7-8 dollars. I know that you can get 20kg of rice into one, the last kg takes a bit of work shaking the pail so the contents settle but you can get 20 kg in. Thats a lot of rice and even though the pail is not air tight they are very tight fitting. After putting in the rice and hammering on the lid, I have flipped the pail upside down and run a heavy bead of silicon into the lip edge of the lid, and then pressed it in tight in the crack as I ran my finger around. This effectively seals the pail. One way I cheaply store rice, not claiming its the best, just effective and cheap enough for my use.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

I do not really notice it but if you can do mylar great.. but i am holding mine in reserve for things that can go bad if exposed to the air and plain regular rice is not one of them..

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Dragged home a perfectly good rain barrel someone had put out for trash. I usually see a few of these every fall, but they are always badly cracked. This one appeared to be unused.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

More rice, pasta and topping up what has been used over past week.
Some $5.00 9/12 tarps on sale at China tire.
Freezer pooched so getting a replacement. Can only get a chest unit as stand ups are scarce as hens teeth at a dentists.
Harvest of carrots is an enormous success so canning and freezing of that.

Tilling, putting old hay into earth to work it in.

Mylaring flour And placing in Tupperware tubs.

Another two chainsaw chains and One bar.

Some slicer .. blades for food processor to get thicker cuts on carrots and another one for larger shred coleslaw

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Honestly I've lost track of everything in the past few weeks as to what I did when.
Basically putting up food either canning or dehydrating mostly.
It's been a combination of garden pickings and taking advantage of sales at the local stores.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Picked up another used scepter nato gas can for the fuel dump. A little beat up, but a deal at 10 bucks.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Just finishing to dehydrate the last bit of carrots and turnips from the garden and shelled most of the beans we grew this year. Potatoes are stored for the winter and so are the onions.; well, all garden crops are away now.

Lucked out doing groceries today as Wallyworld had pasta packages at $0.50 (weird unknown brand but whatever...). So I picked up more than my fair share.

Rotated 6 cans of gas with Premium and picked up 16 new high-cap rechargeable AA batteries from the Amazon Prime Days.

Picked up some organic chicken feed from a local farmer. Winterized the chicken coop.

ReplyQuote
(@stevenb)

Big week for us. We got our bug out property. Getting it in shape should keep us out of trouble for long weekends and vacations for the foreseeable future.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Congrats stevenB👍🏻

ReplyQuote
Page 88 / 91
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network