May 14, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ebola in North America....

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Now that we've had our first case.....

He/she travelled in through an airport. Any guesses on how many got exposed on the way in?

What's your threshold before you decide to self-quarantine? A case in your town/province/country?

Thoughts?

Check out Canadian Prepper Podcast on iTunes!

One is none, two is one.

(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

For me, it would be a case acquired locally (province) vs somebody exposed there that became sick upon arrival.

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

No surprise they are too slow to put in sufficient travel restrictions and let a man in from West Africa carrying Ebola as a visitor. That is just sloppy . That is going to cost a lot of money to cauterize any potential outbreaks in addition to international aid , 15k plus a day for the hospital and a lot of money tracking and monitoring others in contact . The carrier was symptomatic 4 days before being admitted into a hospital isolation and note had been turned down for admission at the first hospital because I`d bet dollars to donuts is foreign , they are not releasing that but is visiting family here . so I am guessing . Factor in human error and outright lying as if one had a been exposed might have beelined for the best potential care and travelled before symptomatic intentionally . Also ebola actually can pose different issues in our climate than in West Africa, I believe they have found at lower temperatures that droplet viability for transmission with contact with infected surfaces can extend to 24 hours and beyond in perfect circumstances for the virus. They have not determined under what circumstances the virus was transmitted in some experiments . So I`d say you are dealing with something that has a 99 percent chance the professionals will be on top of it and 1 percent chance of something being unaccounted for and it becoming an outbreak . First case that leap frogs out of Texas is my sign to tighten up protocol in public but not to quarantine . I suppose if I hear it hits any western province I will be in a tizzy .

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hawaii case suspected. Second one in Texas. I think I'd go for the '50 mile' rule for a lockdown.

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
(@rt_survive)
Trusted Member

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

I had read somewhere that the people in the apartment had originally denied a voluntary quarantine.
If that is the case, then ya, post a guard and TELL them they are not going anywhere.
Sometimes the BIG BROTHER, heavy handed government tactics are a necessary evil.

ReplyQuote
(@rt_survive)
Trusted Member

Denob, I agree completely.

The biggest reason why Liberia has so many cases of ebola is that the government wasn't able to quarantine areas effectively - people in the quarantine zone (being uneducated and full of misinformation) rioted and broke down the barriers, escaping the quarantine zones and infecting others. Something as serious as the lethal ebola needs a very heavy handed quarantine. Violate your quarantine? Get peppered by bean bags, rubber bullets, tasers, and as a last resort, shot on sight. At that point, violators should be considered traitors to their country.

ReplyQuote
(@goldie)
Honorable Member

No surprise they are too slow to put in sufficient travel restrictions and let a man in from West Africa carrying Ebola as a visitor. That is just sloppy . That is going to cost a lot of money to cauterize any potential outbreaks in addition to international aid , 15k plus a day for the hospital and a lot of money tracking and monitoring others in contact . The carrier was symptomatic 4 days before being admitted into a hospital isolation and note had been turned down for admission at the first hospital because I`d bet dollars to donuts is foreign , they are not releasing that but is visiting family here . so I am guessing . Factor in human error and outright lying as if one had a been exposed might have beelined for the best potential care and travelled before symptomatic intentionally . Also ebola actually can pose different issues in our climate than in West Africa, I believe they have found at lower temperatures that droplet viability for transmission with contact with infected surfaces can extend to 24 hours and beyond in perfect circumstances for the virus. They have not determined under what circumstances the virus was transmitted in some experiments . So I`d say you are dealing with something that has a 99 percent chance the professionals will be on top of it and 1 percent chance of something being unaccounted for and it becoming an outbreak . First case that leap frogs out of Texas is my sign to tighten up protocol in public but not to quarantine . I suppose if I hear it hits any western province I will be in a tizzy .

I totally agree with you here.

ReplyQuote
(@tartreem)

hopefully they will start taking some precautions at least. It seems like they are just starting to.
They were checking temperatures of passengers on planes at least.

ReplyQuote
The Island Retreat
(@the-island-retreat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

And letting sick nurses who handled Ebola patients fly across the country. And back. As a pilot, that disturbs me on many fronts.

One is none, two is one.

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

And she might have been symptomatic on both commercial flights she took...
I did not get the link to work so here is the text that wsa there; http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/16/health...ola/index.html
Nurse may have had symptoms of Ebola longer than first thought
By Greg Botelho, CNN
updated 10:19 PM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014

Quote:
(CNN) -- A nurse with Ebola may have shown symptoms of the virus as many as four days before authorities once indicated, meaning that she might have been contagious while flying on not just one, but two commercial flights, officials said Thursday.
But on Thursday, Dr. Chris Braden of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told reporters in Ohio that "we have started to look at the possibility that she had symptoms going back as far as Saturday. ... We can't rule out (that) she might have had the start of her illness on Friday."

"So this new information now is saying we need to go back now to the flight that she took on Friday the 10th and include them in our investigation of contacts," said Braden.

The CDC announced later Thursday that is "expanding its outreach to airline passengers now to include those who flew from Dallas-Fort Worth to Cleveland on Frontier flight 1142" last Friday -- which is how Vinson got to Ohio, from Texas, originally.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

Oh joy...it just keeps getting better!
If this woman survives this...I say lock her up for life (a few hundred counts of wreckless endangerment should suffice).
She is either too stupid or too selfish to continue to be a part of society.
Sorry if it seems harsh or rude, but really, she had to have known what she was doing.

ReplyQuote
(@kootenay-kid)
Reputable Member

Totally agree with you on that one, Denob!!!

ReplyQuote
 Syn
(@syn)
Reputable Member

People simply do not know what to do and as I mentioned before they lack in self discipline and a greater sense of responsibility. That nurse was absolutely in the wrong, she should have been able to have better judgement , but she had called the CDC telling them she had a low grade fever, I believe it was before she boarded the plane to return back to Dallas, and they consented for her to travel because in their opinion her fever was not enough risk at that point. Later they are just now considering she was perhaps symptomatic a few days longer than that and are now examining the risk to the other passengers and seeking to track them . For certain it is way too lax. I read a comment from a nurse when they first had a patient that came into triage fitting the check off boxes for ebola, no one in the hospital actually had any idea what to do, they were making numerous phone calls and googling information on the internet ! They had no plan of where this person should be held or any chain of whom to notify or procedure in place.
Then you have that Shepard Smith of Fox news announcing that no one should be concerned about ebola , not whatsoever , unless of course they have been exposed . Which to my way of thinking is ass backwards because I am concerned and thinking first about not putting myself in a position where I am exposed . But I think PLENTY of people are happy to embrace that message because they get through life with their heads in the sand ( until they don't).

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Well it looks like I will be the odd prepper out on this.Pretty sure my heads not in the sand though I have been told its sometimes elsewhere. Time will tell, I will be right or you guys will....ebola in North America is a big yawn...nothing... to see here folks and so it will be shown with time....Despite the over the top drama from National inquirer type sites, Ebola is one of the worst things to worry about in North America. it can land here all it wants and will fizzle right out.
It has Ro of about 2, thats it folks just two , hardly the big deal its made out to be, you see its hard to transmit, whats many times easier... small pox, meseales, whooping cough, bad debts,worry, the list goes on...any compitant nurse or doctor could tell you so, and I think the fatalities are roughly 50% or so, likely higher in countries with poor healthcare infrastructure, less in more developed, and that Ro of 2 has been based on countries with the worst practises, and now that they are taking better action it should change. In North America with our better health care and massively different cultural practises, that virus faces extermination...poor thing...Time will tell....remember those who have hyped this up for the future... I dont mean those like here who post thier concern rather those self described internet experts, web sites that pump up the drama to get you coming back for add revenue...fear sells....it sells big time.
I hate to tell you but your not gettin out here alive, you are going to die no matter what...make sure you do some living first.....and drinking..dont forget drinking...

SYN.. how could you......you just made me side with something said on FoX news ( a missnomer if there ever was one), though I dont watch that. I will cough in your direction now.....

Look back in January and I will eat my prepper badge if it multipling across North America.

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network