May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bag of go cloths

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Who else keeps a seasonly adjusted bag of cloths in their vehicle?
For my vehicle, I have my various kits but I keep a pretty good and separate bag of cloths for both seasons / winter and fall.

My bags all have spare socks and short underwear but in the large bag I have what will be needed for that season.

Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

That's a good idea Clarence. I suspect I'd need a change of clothes if I witnessed a mushroom cloud on the horizon... 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I got all excited when I read "go bag"!!! Then I realized this wasn't a survivalist-related thread, bummer... (wink)

I do keep a set of clothes in my vehicle, along with a change of footwear. I also keep a coverall. Could be needed to change a flat tire while wearing my "Sunday's best" clothes. The change of clothes has come in handy a few times in different circumstances. I keep a pair of cargo pants and a golf shirt usually that can go from going on a hike if needs be to being somewhat dressed up enough to go to a restaurant or something.

Jacket changes based on season: old parka and wind pants for the winter to an older goretex jacket for the rest of the year.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That's a good idea Clarence. I suspect I'd need a change of clothes if I witnessed a mushroom cloud on the horizon... 🙂

Couple of years back we had earthquake in ottawa and I was home and said, oh snap, what just happened in nyc. Poke to a friend there and sadly he had same reaction. Horrible thoughts!.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I got all excited when I read "go bag"!!! Then I realized this wasn't a survivalist-related thread, bummer... (wink)

To add to subject of walking cloths, I also have started vacuum sealing my spare cloths and wobbie’s in my packs. This to help reduce size and also keep dry. I make the bag slightly bigger as well so I can reuse for collecting of food, gathering of water...

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

i have a go bag for clothes . Which i also vac seal. then in its turn i have a giant dogfood bag that has a zipseal on it .Its a great disguise to camouflage what it really is.

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

All part of my get home bag...I change out the clothes a few times a year and check the other usual stuff at the same time.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i have a go bag for clothes . Which i also vac seal. then in its turn i have a giant dogfood bag that has a zipseal on it .Its a great disguise to camouflage what it really is.

Bag of dog food! Good idea!

ReplyQuote
(@jimbo-jones)
Estimable Member

Camouflage and concealment doesnt always mean green. It hides in plain sight and if all else fails its a big bag .

ReplyQuote
(@haliboy)
Trusted Member

Camouflage is a verb, not a noun in my dictionary. Wearing a suit may get you more help in Manhattan but might get you shot in the Bronx.

My go clothes are not in a car but in my locker I keep a set:pants/shirt/underwear/socks because it sucks to work when soaked.

Another set of go clothes is for an urban bug out from one house to another, nice to have a set of clean clothes.

If I had a truck I would keep mostly winter suitable clothes there as in the city you go from heated building to heated building, so you tend to put up with being a bit cold for a short time so you don't have to take off a ton of clothes at each building you go to (friends house, work, mall, etc)

Why did I join Canadian Preppers Network?
Well I was going to join the UK Network but those bloody Brits don't know how to speak proper English! 😉

ReplyQuote
(@marthony)

Be advised that spandex, such as those in many underwear brands (Stanfield's) and those in Under Armour, are badly damaged over time when in plastic bags. I learned this the hard way by using freezer bags to pouch clothes in my evacuation bag. It is impossible to know what is in the waistbands of what you're wearing by looking at the tag; you'd have to research with the company. No effect on waist-bands that use rubber instead of spandex, but check in advance or risk hearing the crinkle-tear sound of doom when you take them out months later!

This is due to how plastic reacts to air and the output of the reaction. Will try to find the reference hyperlink that explains it well later on.

I've a good set of things in my vehicle, but need to add a full set of clothes. Presently I've got the wind & rain suit plus rubber boots and a change of socks, underwear & gloves, but must do better...

Might is Right is the wrong thing to say but the right thing to understand.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Be advised that spandex, such as those in many underwear brands (Stanfield's) and those in Under Armour, are badly damaged over time when in plastic bags. I learned this the hard way by using freezer bags to pouch clothes in my evacuation bag. It is impossible to know what is in the waistbands of what you're wearing by looking at the tag; you'd have to research with the company. No effect on waist-bands that use rubber instead of spandex, but check in advance or risk hearing the crinkle-tear sound of doom when you take them out months later!

This is due to how plastic reacts to air and the output of the reaction. Will try to find the reference hyperlink that explains it well later on.

I've a good set of things in my vehicle, but need to add a full set of clothes. Presently I've got the wind & rain suit plus rubber boots and a change of socks, underwear & gloves, but must do better...

I had no idea! That would explain why some of the socks I keep in ZipLock bags are all loose...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. Will need to look at that in a year from now. Have had them in ziplocks for years and no change I have seen. Maybe enough air got in to not cause deterioration. Can’t have underwear falling down. Very bad for walking

ReplyQuote
(@marthony)

Here is the article explaining the physics of it:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-02-19/entertainment/9201160393_1_elastic-chlorine-bleach-rubber

Might is Right is the wrong thing to say but the right thing to understand.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Marthony. So far my old stanfields have held up over the years but maybe I am just lucky.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network