May 18, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Canned heat

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Have been buying the little cans of “canned heat” for use as source of heat, cooking... never used them as I am a wood fire guy but figured they have a place in kits.

I was rearranging stuff yesterday and discovered a few had jelled up and greatly shrunk in volume! They were likely five years old. Others from two years ago were all good. So I have vacuum sealed the others in the hope it help keep down evaporation. Two to four cans per bag

Anyone have experience with these things and methods to keep intact?

Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member

I suppose it depends on the brand, but many canned heat items utilize alcohol. If its exposed to air it will evaporate. I suspect that replacement every so often is par for the course. I too prefer fire and quick fire-starters like Vaseline and Magnesium are staples. They are worth their weight in the pack (which isn't much).

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@pedosjun)

I love it so much If it is useful and knowledgeable, then this is my first place to come.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I love it so much If it is useful and knowledgeable, then this is my first place to come.

Lots of good info to be sure. Facts, opinions and a good healthy mix

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network