May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

CHAINSAWS: GAS vs. ELECTRIC vs. BATTERY

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I recently was speaking with a friend who was purchasing a new chainsaw. He was thinking that he would go with a battery saw and asked me what I thought? Suddenly I became like a deer in the headlights... I told him that I couldn't honestly tell him one way or the other; I never thought of it. I realised that this was just one more example of me not keeping-up with the times I'm sure that there are many technological advances that I don't consider because I'm set in my ways...

I've used a gas chainsaw for over 45 years and currently own a Stihl. I've had no reason to considered anything other than a gas saw (until now). Has anyone had any experience with battery saws? I'd like to better understand battery duration, battery life, performance, recharging time and other issues.

What type of chainsaw(s) do you use and why? Thanks for your input.

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

We have a both a plug in Electric Chain Saw that is coming on eight years and still doing well as well as a Gas powered. The Electric is used in the main yard, the gas is for more outlaying areas. Having said that I have been reading on a friends blog about a battery powered saw.. The idea of recharging batteries off solar chargers is very interesting to me.

I have no other info to offer, they had their saw for less them a year so the fact that they like it now does not give much info on how it will hold up in the longer terms. I am interested to see if anyone else has more knowledge or first hand use?

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
Wayne
(@wayne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Farmgal. I've never been a fan of working with anything with an electric cord in the wet bush. I'm afraid of either strangling or electrocuting myself. LOL With a gas saw, it's all I can do at times to keep the tree falling in the right direction and not cutting my leg off with the saw... 🙂

None you improvise, one (or more) is luxury.

ReplyQuote
(@scrounger)
Honorable Member

Another option would be a recip saw. I use mine for knocking down brush piles quickly. You can use pruning blades, but I go with whatever used blade I have kicking around. Mine is electric.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I recently was speaking with a friend who was purchasing a new chainsaw. He was thinking that he would go with a battery saw and asked me what I thought? Suddenly I became like a deer in the headlights... I told him that I couldn't honestly tell him one way or the other; I never thought of it. I realised that this was just one more example of me not keeping-up with the times I'm sure that there are many technological advances that I don't consider because I'm set in my ways...

I've used a gas chainsaw for over 45 years and currently own a Stihl. I've had no reason to considered anything other than a gas saw (until now). Has anyone had any experience with battery saws? I'd like to better understand battery duration, battery life, performance, recharging time and other issues.

What type of chainsaw(s) do you use and why? Thanks for your input.

Thousands of cords of wood cut so familiar with gas powered ones and only thing I have ever used. Was in at local Husqvarna dealer recently and owner said it will only be batteries in ten years. Said he has seen demos on cutting larger then one foot plus trees and electric was quicker! Less moving parts to break, better fuel economy because it stops when not cutting. Developing waist belts for batteries so weight isn’t all in chainsaw like they are now. Only small ones available here now but I will try one, once bigger ones are released. Should also cut down on noise and exhaust you breath in!

ReplyQuote
(@danux)
Estimable Member

I've got a battery-powered 60V DeWalt DCCS670 chainsaw. This is the amount of jackpine I was able to cut with four fully charged 9.0Ah batteries. The loose pile is unseasoned, the stacked stuff is dry. Was maybe a couple of hours of work, cutting piling etc.

I would say I refilled the chain lube storage maybe 2.5 times per battery, with heavy oil.I like how quiet they are, but I think they are still relegated to occasional use, modern battery chemistry just cannot supply enough juice to make them usable for a full day's work. If I ever feel the need to do that entire pile in one or two days, it'd have to be done with a gas-powered chainsaw.

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

interesting, that's 10 fills of bar oil for that amount of wood. I would use maybe half that much in my corded electric saws. I agree that batteries have to come a lot further. I will stick with my corded ones for now.

here is a tear down of both brands on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yIqluXVleo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o55Dw0-VEeY

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network