May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Generator/Small Engine Question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Hey there fellow preppers that are likely more mechanically inclined that I am...

Question for you : I'm having some issues with my generator where it only runs smoothly with the choke on, even after what should have been a normal warm-up time. What gives?

Background, the generator is about 5.5 year old, a Ridgid model with an Honda engine. It only has about 15 hours on it. I run it for about 10-15 mins every 2-3 months, keep premium (ethanol-free) gas in it that's mixed with Stab-il. I also change the gas every year. Air filter is clean.

I can't figure out what causes it to run rough and backfire as I ease the choke, this is the first time this is happening.

Now, if it was a turbine engine we were talking about...

Thanks in advance.

(@denob)
Member Admin

Check your carb for yellow/orange bits of gas varnish.
Other than that, did you do the initial oil change after the first couple hours?
Also, if you have a low oil shutoff it may be defective.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Check your carb for yellow/orange bits of gas varnish.
Other than that, did you do the initial oil change after the first couple hours?
Also, if you have a low oil shutoff it may be defective.

Thanks Denob, I did do an oil change early on. Oil is clear and plentiful. I'll have to look at the carburetor.

Oddly, it looks like the gen could run all day with the choke on... I'm just worried that it would get quite gunky in there!

ReplyQuote
peppercorn
(@peppercorn)
Noble Member

Background, the generator is about 5.5 year old, a Ridgid model with an Honda engine. It only has about 15 hours on it. I run it for about 10-15 mins every 2-3 months, keep premium (ethanol-free) gas in it that's mixed with Stab-il. I also change the gas every year. Air filter is clean.

wow, you really look after your equipment. Sounds like a fuel issue. when you have the choke on you are likely (remember I don't know your unit so I am being general) reducing the air to give a higher fuel ratio to the mix, now when you go to the run position the air is greater but the fuel doesn't rise to match the demand so it stumbles...so because we are lazy we do the easy things first even if they seem unlikely, Before you rip into the carb...Loosen or remove the gas cap, does it run better? if so is there a plugged gas tank vent line somewhere? if not then is the fuel pedcock fully open, is the fuel line clear so you can see it flowing? maybe disassemble the pedcock to be sure fuel is flowing through, rust from the tank can plug it, bugs Etc, is there a fuel filter!!, often a inline one somewhere, sometimes hidden, trace the fuel line from tank to carb, check the condition of the line, is it cracking/breaking down? is the line blocked? is it pinched? check the mechanical linkages in the throttle control, have they been struck and bent? While not likely but since its quick to do, undo the two screws holding the spark arrester filter on the end of the exhaust when pulled out it looks like a small wire tube sock, is it plugged? If so, throw it away and test the engine, if clean through it away and test the engine....ok we have hit the high notes now down to the carb, undo the screw holding the bowl, remove gently! tap on it if stuck, there will be a rubber gasket on the top and you don't want to tear it, and when you reassemble don't over tighten it. Likely a float that should move free on its hinge point....That's all I got now you will have to pull the whole carb if your problem isn't found, likely a plugged jet (s)/port ...pick up a can of carb clean, small tiny wire for cleaning into little passages....you will have to wing it from there..

Ofcourse after you get the engine running you cant just assume its all good, check the output of the alternator, no load should likely be 61-62 or so hz, 120+ volts or so no load, your kilowatt meter plugged into the alternator is a good diagnostic tool for this.....

Now you should do all the steps I gave....just to be sure, alternetly you can just pull the fuel line off the carb, and if fuel is flowing then pull the carb and clean it. I would be pissed at a generator having problems at 15hrs...shouldn't be..

Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

wow, you really look after your equipment.

A long long time ago, the Army taught me to look after my equipment, "take care of it and it will take care of you" or so was the theory (disproven in the case at hand!). An undiagnosed mild form of OCD may also explain the whole thing πŸ˜‰

Thanks for the notes, I'll try to get to it this afternoon and see if I can fin what the problem is. To avoid deposits during storage, I normally stop the unit by starving it through the pedcock, at least until it starts to sputter. Bad habit?

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network