May 17, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

New Netflix Docuseries: Pandemic - How To Prevent An Outbreak

26 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

There is a new docuseries out on Netflix Canada which delves into what is going on in the fight against the next Pandemics. Somewhat terrifying, but very informative on what government agencies, and emergency preparedness organizations are doing. The weaknesses as well as the strengths...the concerns and lessons learned from previous pandemics and the concerns over unknowns for the future...

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81026143 gives some video and excerpts of each episode.

I've only seen the first episode but very well done. I'd highly recommend it. Especially for those of us not in the health and medical fields who don't know how the infrastructure and system works.

https://www.internationalpreppersnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7738

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for heads up.look forward to watching.

From what I know, hospitals still do not have facilities to address the fact that all staff coming into and leaving a hospital can be properly gowned and degowned. I remember sars and nurses being completely unprepared or equipped to remain sterile and not bring in or out the virus. People got all upset about a nurse who was infected getting on a bus. Well for one she didn’t know she had it at the time and B, how was she going to get home in the first place? Teleporter!

They were not properly fitted for masks, people with beards.. are not safe with them, but no one cares... a hospital in Gatineau ( across the river from ottawa) was at something like 120% capacity the other week. How the flip does anyone think they will handle an outbreak! They were stacking people in hallways. Anyone tell you food services, janitors.... are going to follow same preca as trained medical staff is nuts. Even nurses were not properly removing gloves and mask. They then just walk out and pick out tomatoes in same grocery store as me.
Again, not really their fault, they and others are simply not given the proper training etc. plus they will like all of us, become tired and make mistakes. Simple, and when honest, easy to predict mistakes, but these things are not talked about, so it’s happy talk from talking heads in government and the end result will be what it is.

Bless their hearts but the military showed up in Newfoundland four days after the start of the storm. Not picking on soldiers but it doesn’t instill confidence in any rapid response and of course available resources. People may be well intentioned but if resources are not there, then you are up the creek.

What happens to hydro, hospitals, police, fire, oil and food deliveries when 10% or more are ill, then there are those who will stay home to help loved ones.
No, by waiting for a bureaucrat to get permission from a prime minister to declare an emergency, will likely be to late.

We dodged the bullet with sars, let’s hope we do this time as well. Our population centers are completely different, ability to feed ourselves, dependence on hydro, living or working close together... huge difference from Spanish flu.

True we have in some cases, better hygiene, but I believe it is or will be negated by other factors.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

all those topics are discussed in the docuseris. from infection control, to infrastructure and loss of power with no one available to run power plants, plus the anti vaccination crazies to a plethera of other issues.

the spanish flu is discussed at length in the first episode. as it killed more people accross the world then world war i and ii combined. and it was spread by boat....today we have planes, and 4x the world population. the death toll today from a bad strain they figure willl be hundreds of millions. they dont talk about "if" its coming, but when and how. and that many deaths will devestate economies, infrastructure, and society.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hope to watch tonight. Hope it’s an honest sitrep.

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

its not a documentary from a prepper view. its from world experts and doctors from different countries and regions. if anything it will give a lot of food for thought. let me know what you think clarence. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Just started watching. About 80% through the first episode. Very interesting and awkwardly timely...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am about the same as heli. So far a somewhat decent intro and like crown says, a general review and not in depth for points of failure or real world ramifications like a prepper.

The below will blow ones mind. If accurate, this is serious.

Let’s just say this is 1/4 of the below projections. What the hell are we doing allowing ANYONE into our country. An immediate and complete closure of all international transport is needed. Same for Mexican border, marine ports... no matter the race or nationality. Ladies and gents, let’s pray to god, Mohammed, Buddha, aunt Mary or Uncle Tom this is all a big nothing burgher. Till then, it may be prudent to start pondering ones longer term plans, looking at med requirements, finances... i have heard two weeks before one exhibits symptoms so if true, the thermal scanners which I predicted are not worth much will be 99% useless. We all need to be really mindful of what we hear from anyone and take with a grain of salt and yet an open mind.
It’s not easy trying to interpret news but with perseverance and that all essential open and clear mind, it can be done with some good results. Suggest chatting with as many trusted sources as possible, reinitiate any old contacts and ask what’s going on in their world. Be it medical, law, suppliers of batteries, meds........stock. Arrest while a nest of vipers, can reveal for truth or greed, what supplies are being speculated on and of course the potential impact to you for access to or for the cost you will need to pay.

So we all need to not panic, for those in really good shape, it’s fine tuning, for those just starting or with limited funds, where they live... it’s crucial that one steps back and try’s to determine what they can do with their time and or money. Speaking of money, cash reserves are always important.

No need for us to preach ( I have been accused of that by friends) to the converted or to appear to beat a dead horse, but we may only have a week or so to to have easy access to all the bits and pieces we think we may need. Demand for stuff like masks, gloves should start to rapidly increase.

Everyone should try and contribute thier on the ground observations and report any shortages they are seeing pop up on amazon, local stores

All the best

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/ok-now-you-can-panic/

Here’s a snippet

2/ “We estimate the basic reproduction number of the infection (R_0) to be 3.8 (95% confidence interval, 3.6-4.0), indicating that 72-75% of transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop increasing...
3/ ... We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8-5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified, and by 21 January a total of 11,341 people (prediction interval, 9,217-14,245) had been infected in Wuhan since the start of the year. Should the epidemic continue unabated in Wuhan....
4/ we predict the epidemic in Wuhan will be substantially larger by 4 February (191,529 infections; prediction interval, 132,751-273,649), infection will be established in other Chinese cities, and importations to other countries will be more frequent. Our model suggests that..
5/ travel restrictions from and to Wuhan city are unlikely to be effective in halting transmission across China; with a 99% effective reduction in travel, the size of the epidemic outside of Wuhan may only be reduced by 24.9% on 4 February. Our findings are...
6/ ...critically dependent on the assumptions underpinning our model, and the timing and reporting of confirmed cases, and there is considerable uncertainty associated with the outbreak at this early stage. With these caveats in mind, our work suggests that...
7/ a basic reproductive number for this 2019-nCoV outbreak is higher compared to other emergent coronaviruses, suggesting that containment or control of this pathogen may be substantially more difficult.”!!!! #wuhanvirus #CoronavirusOutbreak #ChinaCoronaVirus ...
8/ ... SUMMARY: so what does this mean for the world??? We are now faced with the most virulent virus 🦠 epidemic the world has ever seen. An R0=3.8 means that it exceeds SARS’s modest 0.49 viral attack rate by 7.75x — almost 8 fold! A virus that spreads 8 faster than SARS...
9/ ...cannot be stopped by containment alone. A 99% quarantine lockdown containment of Wuhan will not even reduce the epidemic’s spread by even 1/3rd in the next 2 weeks. Thus, I really hate to be the epidemiologist who has to admit this, but we are potentially faced with...
10 ... possibly an unchecked pandemic that the world has not seen since the 1918 Spanish Influenza. Let’s hope it doesn’t reach that level but we now live in the modern world 🌎 with faster ✈️+ 🚞 than 1918. @WHO and @CDCgov needs to declare public health emergency ASAP!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Read and weep, swear, curse the morons.... not prep related but certainly “may” be related to why we are in this potential mess. ###k me!

Just flipping awesome!

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

Clarence, think what you said about “close all borders right now”. Imagine you are one of thousands of Canadians vacationing in the south right now and you are told, “sorry, can’t come back”.

What would your workplace do? What would your family do? What would schools or hospitals missing staff do?

The response needs to match threat. So far, it looks like proper measures are in place and we can keep things like that unless the issue worsens drastically.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Clarence, think what you said about “close all borders right now”. Imagine you are one of thousands of Canadians vacationing in the south right now and you are told, “sorry, can’t come back”.

What would your workplace do? What would your family do? What would schools or hospitals missing staff do?

The response needs to match threat. So far, it looks like proper measures are in place and we can keep things like that unless the issue worsens drastically.

Heli. These post can never capture a full plan. There’s many moving parts and one of them is a more open, proactive, less cover your ass and certainly a less then dreamy mindset by many in society. People who try and prepare for a fire, flood, storm... all wish to be smart and not go running off to some spot. I sure as hell don’t. Just want to live in peace and enjoy the balance of my life. Just like to know everything possible IS being done. Gut hunch tells me that isn’t the case.

1. If this article is true, our government would be aware of the risk. They would have known years ago and would be monitoring for any signs. Now, the only question is what would they do about it? Given the meek kowtowing attitude to China, guessing not a whole hell of a lot! Thus the below concerns. I wonder if our government would mention this during the time of an election or when they just won a minority government? Nah, they would be honest and tell us, for sure they would.

2. From reports and the manner the Chinese are acting, this popped up back in the fall! Surely to Christ our gov would have known something was afoot. Given what we know, the virus sounds pretty bad, I can only speculate that governments, may know more!

3. An honest pro active government could have initiated a ban on travel coming in. Again, if one truly knows. What this thing is, then it’s no longer amateur hour.

4. You wish to leave, then you will be in quarantine for two weeks...upon return. And no visitors from any country come in. Gov pays the cost for our citizens cancelling flights.. all manner of things that could and guess what, will if below is accurate, will in fact occur.

5. Easy, pleasant, No. effective? Well if done late then No. most certainly more effective if done earlier. Again, this is if the below is accurate. If it is and gov knew of potential then hell yes, lock her down. One will always be criticized, so better to err on the side of caution then not, otherwise why have all the speed limits, kids forced to wear bike helmets, smoke detectors.... can’t have it both ways!

The thing stunk/ stinks from the time it started to be talked about. Again, I have no more a clue then anyone how bad it is, but I would be willing to bet a grand, some people may know. The fact China is locking down fifty plus million is for me anyways a bit of a clue. More people die of the flu over there, so why the panic if no one knows something. Simply does not ad up.

if the below is accurate, then we are in for one hell of a fun time and to me, that merits serious pro active measures, now, not in two weeks. Now! Surely to god they have a plan in place for just such an event, activate it. Now, we all know governments can move slow or fast when it suits them. So fast can be done.

I don’t want to get involved in political discussions, I am an equal opportunity critic. For us smucks, it’s wait and see but, I am guessing some people know what the heck is going on in China and I hope I am wrong and they are not concerned And that it has nothing to do with freezing up like what we see occur from time to time. One easy example of freezing up or burying their heads in sand is how the various governments do not go after gangs, or cigarette smuggling, guns or drugs on native reserves and in all the cities. The police know who’s dealing drugs, the smuggling routes between US and canada reserves. The know the crack houses etc etc etc. no, right now they are not doing anything on the real crime hotspots but instead going after a person with a pistol grip on a deer gun. Really! So yes, I see governments freezing up, hoping things all just go away and that they claim, they didn’t know.until the shtf

You mention proper measures in place. they are talking two weeks with no visible sign of infection Scanners are nice if you have a fever, so for the person who got it one hour or a week before boarding the plane, what “appropriate measures” are they truly taking? Zip nada but kiss effective measure. Ooooh we are monitoring it! Monitoring what exactly, reported case from a government I would trust with a dead cat! They would eat the cat and still say nothing to see here! Asking you to report after you have shopped,, gone to hospital to visit someone, pressed a hundred elevator buttons, turned a thousand door knobs at the office, kissed your children good buy as you put them on the bus.....that’s not effective, it’s just words.

I don’t know heli, I just do not know. The talking heads said the same stupid thing during sars. Oh it’s been two days since last case, looks good. I said to my wife at the time, they just said it could take a week before symptoms show, maybe buddy infected somebody two days before he checked in! Guess what, there were more cases! Governments lie, try and play down things, freeze up, avoid admitting the screwed up. Imagine if below article is true! Does anyone think our government will get on Tv and say, oh yah we flipped up and kinda knew things could go sideways. But you know, we weren’t sure, blah blah blah, Not happening. Hell will freeze over before they admit to that possible screwup.

So in closing, it’s a bitch to call, we have no real intel and yes cases are minor right now.
If we are being told the whole truth then maybe they are right. If not, buckle up for the ride and hope no loved one dies because a government didn’t want to screw up someone’s vacation in the sun or some conference.

Next two weeks should tell us a great deal. I don’t want this and hope my government is being honest and truly doing everything possible. Fingers and toes crossed

ReplyQuote
(@thecrownsown)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Read and weep, swear, curse the morons.... not prep related but certainly “may” be related to why we are in this potential mess. ###k me!

Just flipping awesome!

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/did-china-steal-coronavirus-canada-and-weaponize-it

i think instead of citing questionable sources like zerohedge, going striaght to the source for what we know is prudent.
https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/23-01-2020-statement-on-the-meeting-of-the-international-health-regulations-(2005)-emergency-committee-regarding-the-outbreak-of-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)

i see little benefit to anyone in spreading that other stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Fact, were Chinese citizens not tossed from Canada for some behavior allegedly occurring at a level 4 lab? Do you think they grow alfalfa sprouts in there!

Did the government ever tell us exactly what the hell they were up to? When things are concealed it doesn’t bode well for future truths.

Look I do not wish to engage in a debate.

Here’s an article I just came across. Now follow some key points with me and see if this sounds like an intelligent response from a government that went through sars and what with we see / let alone don’t see going on in that lovely open society of China.

https://ottawasun.com/news/national/viral-terror-top-doc-fears-more-coronavirus-cases-on-horizon/wcm/9b0cc865-3c45-4410-a0e9-0251da6a978f

Say what, mr x has symptoms, lands at busiest airport in canada,last week, home to the odd person of Chinese decent, / sarc, and what does our great medical and national health watchers do? They miss it! Well isn’t that just stellar and reassuring. Geez am I ever glad we have such crack squads, and the guy was from ground zero to boot! Maybe the thermal scanners needed a patch from two years ago and they had to wait for tech support in India to help troubleshoot. Oh we did have some but it was a late flight and overtime wasn’t authorized? Just making it up but one does wonder who dropped the ball! How many other balls bounced out the doors?

You mentioned WHO, wonder what they think of this stellar cockup.sure there’s many pictograms and best practice memos on the way. Thank goodness.

Our good doctor mentions working rapidly to contact those near him on the plane. Haven’t contacted the entire plane yet? Guy must have gone to the bathroom a few times on that long flight! Wonder how many he coughed, sneezed on or how many touched the same handles in the washroom? Reaching out? Seriously, everyone should have been tracked down. Are they all in quarantine for next two week? What about all the things buddy touched out in the public

Oh and this one cracks me up. Did you see the self quarantine part! Really, pinky swear you won’t duck out for some food or call in a delivery and pay the nice man with cash or credit card. Remember now, family members could all be carrier’s!

The WHO are bureaucrats and many are political appointees.... another United Nations resting home. do I think they will stand up to China? Stand up to businesses! Not likely now make no mistake, I am no anti businessman, to the contrary.
No, like most no decision type entities, they will wait for “consensus “ / no one will take the lead early, wait for the blob to finally agree to do the obvious. You know sort of like the UN in any dozen African conflicts..., no one get to serious to quick now, we want to be 1000000% sure, there’s careers and positions involved here.

Credibility, is key. We see things like above failing now. People should be in forced quarantine or under 24/7 surveillance, so they can’t skip out for a quick bite at the local buffet or visit a person, take a “quick” cab ride, hey no problem, I was only gone for an hour, no fowl done!
Is the article accurate? No need to believe it and I said as much “if accurate...”

I do however see dumb moves in play so have almost zero confidence in our government to be proactive or in the case of buddy, completely missing his visible illness at the best or second best place to grab him. Oh and obviously he managed to get on the plane, so what’s the deal with our people over there? Guess they missed the memo from WHO on what to look for. Admittedly, only a few million in quarantine in China at the time, people dropping over on the streets. So maybe the air crew missed it. 😯 The first opportunity to say no way your getting on the plane and they blew it. Now before anyone says I am mean. We could put buddy on a proper quarantine plane but not sit with a few hundred others. Does canada have such planes ready to roll for this? Bet you right now the answer would be no. I have chatted with professionals in the field of nasty bio thingies and unless you have your stuff together real good, your goose, snake, rat or wolf pup meat is cooked! Wonder how many of the flight, staff at airport... are ”self quarantining themselves”. Likely none, yet everyone of them should be. Remember potential two week period of no signs. Has canada offered to pay them to stay home? Doubt it but a cheap thing to do, to buy assurance all is well. Flipping joke. One of the things I did professionally was find holes in systems or policy and boy did I have an easy time!

Zero confidence in most of our response so far. Rubbing rabbits feet is what we are doing. Some token steps but From what we know, not enough. Obviously not very effective. Some great people trying hard but system or response mechanisms are not up to the challenge. We see it with floods, fires, etc etc.

ReplyQuote
(@helicopilot)
Member Moderator

I don’t envy governments around the world, not organizations like WHO. They wait too long and an epidemic ensues with thousands or millions deads. They “jump the gun” at every contagious infections around the world, and everyone stops listening, including when they get “it” right.

I don’t trust China, but the news are probably more accurate than from about half the world. They’re doing the right thing by isolating population. It just looks worse when they have the population density they have.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

its not a documentary from a prepper view. its from world experts and doctors from different countries and regions. if anything it will give a lot of food for thought. let me know what you think clarence. 🙂

Crown, . I watched as much of the Netflix series as I could.
As you mentioned, certainly not a prepper themed documentary.

For me, I found it a dud, to much drama and focus on peoples staring into the distance while driving a car... I think they tried and for someone who has never given any thought to it.. it may be of help but for all that filmtime, I found it to boring and of not much concrete help.
Again for me, but maybe a person watching is intrigued to stay tuned and it does help

Thanks for link, worth people quickly scanning and deciding if they wish to watch in detail

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I don’t envy governments around the world, not organizations like WHO. They wait too long and an epidemic ensues with thousands or millions deads. They “jump the gun” at every contagious infections around the world, and everyone stops listening, including when they get “it” right.

I don’t trust China, but the news are probably more accurate than from about half the world. They’re doing the right thing by isolating population. It just looks worse when they have the population density they have.

Help, it certainly is a huge responsibility and I truly, truly do not envy their situation. I have struggled many a time and question my observations before expressing them to decision makers.

I used to gather info on a problem and ask questions. Usually didn’t take to long before one starts seeing people lying or bing unaware of even the simplest of things they are paid to be on top of. Sometimes, some pretty critical information that leaves one gob smacked.

So, all we can do is try and interpret the news for things that seem plausible, use past experiences to try and smell BS, onside peoples/ governments, business and various groups agendas, who’s in who’s pocket and therefore influenced....

Know this, people... lie, things are covered up and things are sometimes pushed so people react a certain way. It’s a capital B to try and figure out.

For me, I am not running around with my hair on fire, to the contrary, I find myself pretty calm.

So soldier on with my preps, going to top up vinegar for cleaning purposes, rubbing alcohol, Clorox wipes, oil and filters for vehicles. ( won’t be traveling to much of bad, but need and should of already have in stock but cocked up on that one 😳 )

Fingers crossed and apologize for my previous length response.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network