May 15, 2024
11 11 11 AM
Latest Blog Posts
Three Rules For Prepper Bartering It’s Garden (Planning) Season! Fish and Bird Antibiotics Banned! Lest We Forget Assembling The Grab And Go HF Radio Kit Answering A Viewer Question From YouTube Always Moving Forward In Prepping Another TRU SDX Test – More Power! Getting The New Garden And Compost Prepped Testing The Portable 20 Meter End Fed Antenna

FORUM

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Surviving without air conditioning

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I hate to admit this but as I age, I am finding that I am now prone to heat stroke. I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how I am going to manage a 6 hour drive without air conditioning. I have tried using a soft freezer bag (filled with cherry pits) on the heck but it doesn't want to stay in place πŸ™

(@farmgal)
Member Moderator

my best guess is freeze a bucket 3.4th full and then add a mear inch or two of water, and take to cloths, then dip, wring an wipe face, lay on neck while next one chills, it should hold cold most of trip

http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@perfesser)
Prominent Member

A few years ago this super wicking fabric was developed. Keeps you much cooler in the heat. They didn't make clothes from it, they licensed the tech to other companies to make clothes so it goes by a lot of different names. Here are a few places I've found so far. These below are clothes but you could find cooling towels for less.
I have a few shirts now - this stuff is the answer for me - I no longer fear the heat.

http://www.cabelas.ca/search?q=CoolCore
http://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeText=CoolCore&init=1&sort_field=Relevance&thumbType=0
http://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens/work-clothes/wm-armachillo/shirts-hats.aspx?feature=chev-mn-armachillo-wm-cross
http://www.coolcanuck.com/

ReplyQuote
(@hopeimready)
Reputable Member

You could also try a small battery operated fan stuck to the dash. Another option, once you get past/around TO, is to go on the smaller roads (like the 7 or smaller, rather than the 401) and drive slower so opening the windows is an option..it will take longer but you won't pass out. Plus stop at the rest stop centres.

HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

Good gravy don't take Hwy 7 - it'll take you twice as long. Put the hammer down (but don't speed) and take the 401 - windows open and music blaring!

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As most know by now I made it there and back πŸ™‚

What I found helped the most on the way there was rubbermaid cooler ice blanket. I cut it into strips and wrapped them around my neck.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

A different kind of question. You have a vehicle without a/c. Why not get a/c?
If you can afford a car and insurance, you can afford a/c.

A low tech idea would be to mount an external fan to power a micro a/c or fan
which blows on you - as long as the car is moving. lol.

Yes, over 40 years old and hypertensive, make heat stroke deadly. You must keep cool.
That is why this prepper network is so important. To exchange thoughts like this.
Admit it or not, over 40 IS over the hill physically, and many people are limited in areas.

I hope to find time to start a New Topic called "Don't re-invent the wheel".
People can give their expertise and internet links to ie First Aid Kits and books.
Then all of us can benefit and don't have to spend years researching or building a kit from scratch.
I personally don't think we have much time left to prepare before things hit the fan.

What do you all think?

ReplyQuote
(@denob)
Member Admin

What do you all think?

Not sure how you figure that...
I've had the A/C in a car go out on me and immediately thought of a hundred better things to spend hundreds, even close to a thousand dollars on!
Sometime people are smart and instead of going into debt to buy a new car, they use the money they have on hand and buy used...that may mean less bells and whistles, but at least something to get you from point a to point b...and no bank will ever be able to take it away if you lose your income and can't pay.
Almost sounds as though you're making fun of another member.....

ReplyQuote
PrepHer
(@prepher)
Prominent Member

Yes, over 40 years old and hypertensive, make heat stroke deadly. You must keep cool.
That is why this prepper network is so important. To exchange thoughts like this.

Admit it or not, over 40 IS over the hill physically, and many people are limited in areas.
What do you all think?

Hi RedDawn! Well here's what I think > my car is 26 years old and still running just fine. No A/C and has almost 400,000 kms on her. No need to go out and spend money on another one just for A/C! I simply don't go driving in extreme heat - my car AND I don't like it anyway!

BTW, I'm over 60 years old and I'm NOT over the hill! I heat with wood and single-handedly bring in my wood, split it, and carry it into the house x 2 stoves = over 7,500 lbs of wood a year (and that's just bringing it into the house! Another 7,500 lbs to stack it!).

And then there's the garden........
Yes I agree that this Prepper network is very important > to listen to other people's experiences and wisdom and perhaps learn a few things along the way.
Welcome RedDawn!

πŸ˜‰ PrepHer

ReplyQuote
oldschool
(@oldschool)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A low tech idea would be to mount an external fan to power a micro a/c or fan
which blows on you - as long as the car is moving. lol.

Hello RedDawn
To get the a/c replaced in my car is $1,200.00 which I believe is not the best thing to spend money on for just one weekend.

"fan which blows on you - as long as the car is moving" - that was part of the problem or issue with the drive, sitting in traffic. Due to traffic and road issues, it took more then 2 hours longer to get there then it should have. If traffic was moving at the speed limit, the 4/60 would have worked well.

Admit it or not, over 40 IS over the hill physically ----- no it is not. A person's physical limited are not age based. If you don't agree, please take a moment to read this story on a 80 year old body builder. https://ca.style.yahoo.com/80-old-fitness-trainer-prove-000000042.html

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

lol, nice thoughts all. I agree there are a hundred other things to spend a grand on, but, if you are suffering health problems due to heat, then I think that physical health comes first. "If you don't have your health....". Next, never making fun of another. Poking fun would be ok, but don't know y'all that much. As for age, yes, some at 80 are fitter than teens. Depends on many things. Just saying, after 40, the warranty expires. I know NHL hockey players and athletes that die of heart attacks in 40's. Point stands. After 40, there may be physical limits. Everyone has to know themselves, not be stubborn. That said, my skills and my limits make me an asset to my group, who have their skills and limits which compliment mine. I am still working on my guitar and singing. Sounds good to me but my dog keeps howling???
ps, I could not survive without air conditioning on a long trip. Period. Paid the grand and stayed cool. Others were happier in car too. Thanks all.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Canadian Preppers Network